Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-29-2007, 05:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Smile New From Kentucky! Looking to Lose!

Hi everyone! I found this community by accident but I'm very glad I did. I've been looking for a weight loss community to assist me and motivate me to lose weight and help me feel good about myself in the process. =]

My name is Charlene and I'm originally from Boston, MA. I recently moved to Kentucky about 8 months ago with my fiance. So, now I'm a Southern gal. =]

Anyway. I always felt like I was big my whole life. But more times than not when I was in high school and college...people referred to me as small and petite. I just thought I was blessed with the metabolism of a racehorse and ate like a pig and assumed nothing would happen. Now that college is over I've gained weight. Is it some kind of rule that the moment you leave that campus for good...your metabolism drops 80%? Because I've heard many people say this about themselves as well.

I remember the days where I use to be able to eat a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting after coming home from Burger King, and yet still lose weight. And now I'll give into temptations and eat just one cookie...and BAM. Woo woo, next stop my thighs!

I guess you could say I'm in that transitional phase where my metabolism is definitely slowing a bit (maybe not a lot, but more than I'm use to) and I'm finding it hard to eat like a pig and not gain a pound. I'm hoping you all can help me along the way while I try my hardest not to eat a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting! Smaller portions, less fat and bad carbs, and more exercise and running/walking. I'm hoping I can not only lose weight, but create a lifestyle for myself that will help me create a healthier me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginner like me? Any motivation?

Also, I have a question. I've read so many places that green tea is good for you because it's boosts your metabolic rate. But I've read articles. Has anyone had any direct results because of green tea? Honestly the taste disgusts me to no end, but if I know it works, I can hold my nose and work past the taste. Anyone??
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:05 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

First of all and good for you for deciding that you want this to be a healthy lifestyle change! This is about getting good exercise and the right kinds of nutrition ^^

I usually suggest baby steps at first. Start with drinking more water and using leaner proteins, more whole grains, fruits & vegetables... things of that nature. You may also want to track your food or calories so that you are aware of how much you are eating. Also, the sooner you start scheduling in exercise the better. Exercise is that something that many people struggle to keep doing consistently, and it's very important. Again, you can start small so it isn't overwhelming! Short 15 minute walks or treadmilling.

Metabolism is a funny thing... and I don't know all that goes into making sure it's at peak performance. I do know that it's important to a functioning body, and that healthier changes in eating and exercising will most likely boost it if it's slacking.

Most people are done growing after they've left college, and they become much more sedentary (not as much walking to classes, or if you played a sport, etc.). Those extra calories aren't used for what they were before, now they just become extra fat. And just because you used to be able to eat all those things doesn't mean that you were any healthier because of it. So don't mourn the loss of those days too much! This is about being healthier overall You CAN do this!

Think about it and let us all know what you're planning on doing to start with Maybe more people will have ideas to help. And absolutely keep posting & stopping in for encouragement & support! We all love to know how others are doing!

Best of luck!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #3  

Welcome Charlene. I've been down that "just left college and metabolism stops" road so I know where you're coming from. You're on the right track knowing that its not a diet, its a lifestyle. Just make a conscious effort to control your will and work at it. There are a lot of resources out there and on this page especially and I believe you can do it!
ericajones80 is offline   Reply With Quote