Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #1  
mdl
whole foods bakery queen

Unhappy greetings from DC

hello everyone -- i am new here and wanted to say HI. like many a female in a western country (US), diet/exercise/fitness are all topics i think about probably way too often.

as a little kid i snuck food around and was told that i was fat

it hurt and that taught me to be ashamed about what i eat, not eat around others, and that being "fat" is bad. whatever.

i started playing sports and realized that i do actually enjoy physical activity - in fact i LOVE it.

however, i have a tendency to binge (mostly on healthy foods, but still, a bag of baby carrots cannot be good to eat at once -- better than a bag of chips i believe). i binge when i am lonely, sad, depressed, bored, and stressed. so i hope to find support of others too....i am truly a people person which is the funny thing. but when i feel like CRAP i isolate myself which only makes the binge worse.

i have recently been put on zoloft but i have found that it has made me really hungry (or i have used it as an excuse to eat more -- don't know)

so anyway, lookin for some friends i am new in this town and need to reach out more b/c people is what life is all about!!!

and i love music and dancing and would lOVE to chat about that anytime all the time -- especially hip hop and rnb

mdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:10 AM   #2  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Hope you find the support and friends you are looking for here! It is a very uplifintg community!
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Best of luck to you!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey mdl! You might want to check out some of our specialized forums like Chicks in Control and Dieting with Obstacles. Scroll down on the main forums page, or use the Forum Jump pop-up menu at the bottom of each window. Lots of folks face challenges like yours. But take heart! You can change those habits!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/250/150

Height: 5"2"

I wish I could have been you as a kid. I was really skinny and what my parents thought a serving size was really three servings. They sat across the table from me with a belt and threatened to whip me if I did not eat all the food they gave me. I ended up not even knowing what hunger felt like and always overeating. Still today, those are my problems. To make matters worse, my mother's dinners were all junk food, so here I was at 7 years old being force fed two hotdogs with chili and cheese, enough chips for four people and a huge chunk of cake. They meant well, they were very uninformed.
smills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #6  
mdl
whole foods bakery queen

Default i hear ya

sharon et al,
thanks for the welcome

ya know i don't know if you would switch places with me -- seriously we all have our struggles and you don't know how you would react in a different environment. but at least you recognize that your parents meant well but didn't really know any better. but now we are adults and we can make up our own decisions. you seem to know what foods are nutritious and will keep your ticker running smoothly -- so do the best you can and i wanna hear about all your ups and downs

miriam
mdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/250/150

Height: 5"2"

obstacles... all of life is full of them, just go around them or jump over them every chance you get
smills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

, mdl!

I'm originally from the DC area! I grew up in Manassas VA and lived in NW DC (Columbia Heights area) for a little while. I definitely miss it... I may move back one day, though I've also fallen in love with certain parts and aspects of Florida that may keep me here awhile.

I have a tendency towards binging, too... sometimes, when there is a whole bag or box of food, I feel this uncontrollable urge to just EAT IT ALL! But you are right - eating a whole bag of carrots is MUCH better than eating a whole bag of potato chips or something like them! As Jay mentioned, there is a Chicks in Control forum dedicated specifically to food issues. It's fairly active and worth checking out.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote