Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/160

Height: 5'6''

Default Hello and How do you do it?

Hello all. I found this forum today and have been reviewing posts, especially the success stories. I was wowed to say the least by some of the before and after pictures of the users here. I have been trying to lose weight for years, but I'm one of the sad old stories of not being able to keep to my commitment. Some of the people I have seen on here seemed to lose alot of weight, even more than my goal in less than 10 months. How in the world do you do it? I can exercise, I can eat right, I can cut sodas, I've tried pills, I've tried meditation. It's hard to stay on one track and I envy those who have lost so much already when I may spend a month losing 10 pounds and gain it back within a couple of weeks. I know there isn't a miracle cure, and it really comes down to will power, but how do you train yourself to have that willpower? Is there a secret stone I have left unturned?
Jelly D Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #2  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

I can't speak for everyone but I know a lot of people on here have posted that it just happens. I know I have tried and failed a million times. I would go a day then give up. I couldn't stop eating my favorite foods, chinese food being my major weekness!! Then this past January I said okay I'm going to try this again for real and I've been going strong ever since. It does get easier to resist your cravings the further along you go. It was hard at first but it does get easier then the cravings just stop or you start to crave different foods, mine current fav is bananas and peanut butter. I think your tastes change and you just adapt to your new way of eating. It's still hard to not eat junk, especially when everyone around you does, but I know it's worth it in the long run! Good Luck and welcome to the site. There are a ton of helpfull people on here in the same boat as you.
Lara
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #3  

I think it would help to have someone to talk to. It seems most of the people I know that have lost weight have someone on the side lines to encourage them. Perhaps I can find that on this site.

I think you are right about tastes changing. I used to drink Dr. Pepper like it was water then switched to Diet Coke. I found by drinking Diet Coke I drank less of it, and after a few months, I couldn't stand the taste of Dr. Pepper anymore. I found it was way too sweet and made me feel sick. I think I need to apply this to all unhealthy foods.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220+/174.2/140

Height: 5'6"

What I did (and I'm just a couple weeks in, but very happy so far) is decide that I'm going to use food solely for sustenance, not satisfaction or satiation. I think it's important to have something other than food in life to give you comfort, so that you're not dependent on it for satisfaction. I think much of overeating or eating the wrong foods is just psychological. Also, instead of buying lunch at work, bring your lunch, or make smart choices when you do have to eat out. I think it really has to be intrinsic. It seems like everyone loses in really different ways.

Also, I think it's really important that it's something that you can maintain for the long term and that you feel comfortable and happy with your diet and workout plan. If you can't smile when you're working out and if you don't have energy from what you're eating, you won't stick with it, but if you can find that proper balance, that's key.

Anyway, I'm also new, so here's hoping that we can both make lots of progress!
Anna829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #5  

Anna - I considered that possibility... eating food only for sustenance. Although it wasn't very healthy, I decided one day to wait until my body said it was hungry before I ate. I waited almost a full two days before I finally felt a hunger pain. It wasn't for lack of doing things either. I was working, running around doing errands and even worked out. I just flat out wasn't hungry. For a while, I kept track of what I ate and when I ate it. I discovered that a lot of times, I have to be reminded to eat or I won't. This of course, doesn't help my metabolism at all.

Then of course... there's those depression points when stress has built up to the point of being unbearable and then I can't seem to stop eating.

I have been trying to find my balance, and find ways to relieve stress, but I keep getting knocked to the ground.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #6  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

I seem to be eating more now than I ever did. I don't let myself get hungry. When I first started I would just eat when I got really hungry and then I started to add snacks and stuff into my plan. I was trying to just do 3 meals a day at first and thought that would work but for me it seems to help if I eat a bunch of small portions throughout the day. I couldn't just eat to live myself, I love food too much. And if I didn't eat things I really liked I couldn't do this for the long term. I used to eat taco bell when I first started{and still stayed within my calorie range} but now I don't. Things change and you just learn to eat better and make healthier choices. As far as stress goes I'm no help really. I stay at home with my kids so I don't have job stress but they give my their own kind of "on the job stress" ! I have found that my most relaxing time is when they go to bed{of course} and I can relax and do my exercise and get on 3FC. I have started running on my treadmill and have really started to enjoy it{I'm one of those crazy's}. Of course it's hard but it feels really good when I'm done. If your feeling stressed go for a walk or get on here and just browse, anything to keep yourself away from the fridge and those temptations!!
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #7  
~~Joanne~~

S/C/G: 178/151/150

Height: 5'3

I found that calorie counting and writing everything I eat down really helps me! Also I exercise alot...I have alot of workout videos I do. I especially do the Leslie Sasone Walk Away The Pound videos...those are awesome!

I really think you are going to find great support here! I wish you the best of luck
wateraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, yup. Calorie counting and walking ... and hanging around 3 Fat Chicks
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote