Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/225/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Hello to all/ New to group

Hi everyone!!!
I'm happy to join the group to give and receive support. I've known about 3fatchicks for years now, but have finally begun to be motivated enough to lose weight and feel good about myself for a change. I am 45 years old, I have two girls age 22 and 12, and I am married to best man I've ever known for the past 14 years. I am, however, not without issues, but who really is these days? The bottom line is I am just sick and tired of being fat and feeling like crap all the time. When I was younger it was easier to be overweight. Now as I am aging, it feels soooo much worse carrying this weight around. I need a change and I am ready to do this. Two weeks ago, I started by eating no more then 1600 calories a day, but I usually don't get up to that amount, and excercising by walking at a fast pace for 30 minutes walking 1.5 miles everyday. Yesterday I weighed 223 and today I am back up to 225!! I've been weighing everyday, which is probably not a good idea, but I wanted to see if what I was doing was working, and now I am getting really irritated because there is no way I could haved gained 2 pounds in one day. I only ate 1400 cal and excercised. I just don't get it. I feel better. My clothes feel better, even only after two weeks, but this is ridiculous and frustrating. No, it's not my period, I ended that about a week ago. What am I doing wrong? Is it the scale? I just bought it, digital. Am I weighing myself too much? I don't know but it really brings me down when I work so hard to lose. Any suggestions? Feedback? It is very much appreciated. Thanks to all and I look forward to being on the board.
eam2ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/154/125

Height: 5'1"

You are probably gaining some muscle and toning up some. I am having the same trouble. I've been watching my calories and working out at the gym for over a month now and no change at all. My husband tells me that I look thinner, but I don't see it or feel it in the way my clothes fit.

Maybe we can be buds and help each other out with this!

Kim
kim3782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey eam2ofus (and hey again, Kim),

How are you tracking your calories eaten versus calories burned? I just made this suggestion to Kim--if you aren't already using a tracking program, there are several available on the internet.

It helps to know what your metabolic rate is to start with--that's how many calories you burn just being alive. If you have been sedentary for a long time or are older, you tend to have a lower metabolic rate. Unfortunately, that can mean that 1600 calories a day could still be too high. A tracker light FitDay has a module that estimates your daily calories.

Be sure to drink your water! And how about increasing your walking to, say, 2 miles a day? Just some thoughts.

Browse around--lots of information here!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/165/130

Height: 5''

Hi everyone, I a new here and am ready to get in shape the summer. Ive got about 35lbs to lose I know I can do it, I recently quit smoking and have been smoke free since Jan 1. So now its time for me to tackle the weight issue. Wish me luck.
Phoebe6422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:13 PM   #5  
GOODBYE lovehandles!

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to the board, from another Northern Californian! I pick one day a week and call it my weigh-in day. It's almost a special day for me. I work hard all week long and look forward to that morning of weighing to see if all my hard work is progressing! Sometimes the number doesn't change, but I don't let that stop me. Also, when I first began this weight loss change in my life, I did my measurements. I'm going to check my measurements probably every 3 weeks, or maybe once a month. Sometimes the scale number will climb but your measurements fall. In a day your body can fluxuate scale numbers badly, and for some seeing it jump up and down rapidly can be very discouraging. So if possible, try to limit checking the scale to once a week, or maybe even every two weeks. You will look forward to it!

Last edited by Katytee; 04-20-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: cant spell ;P
Katytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #6  

Height: 5'2"

Hello and welcome. I to only eat 1600 cal a day and walk. I do walk more thanks to my job and I walk after work, I add 15 minutes or 1/2 mile more each week. Keep doing what you are doing it has only been a few weeks. I do agree with Katytee pick one day and time to weigh in. Good luck and I am here for support.
MJ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 228/225/140

Height: 5'5"

Thank you all for your input. I agree about weighing only once a week. I did this years ago and I only weighed once a week and your right, I looked forward to it. As far as water goes, I don't drink it at all or very rarely. I always did better with weight loss when I did, but I just hate drinking it. I guess I'm just going to have to get into the habit again. Kim, anytime you want to talk, let me know and I'll give you my email address. I know what your feeling. Take care all and have a wonderful weekend.
eam2ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:17 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 7"

Hello and welcome to the board. I agree with you that it is harder as we get older to lose the weight and also even if we have been overweight all our lives it does seem to hinder us more as we get older.

Unfortunately as much as we would like to weigh ourselves daily it isn't the optimal thing to do. So I agree that once a week is probably the best.

I have been frustrated as I have been on about 1200 calories for a while and it is such slow going to lose the weight. I have even been really nauseous all this week and unable to eat or drink much and I haven't lost an ounce. Oh well that is life.

Good luck with your diet journey.

Jennylee
Jennylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

Don't forget to measure yourself as well. I have been sitting on 82kg's since I don't know when, But my clothes are smaller, and I feel skinner.
Even my hubby has noticed!!!!!
Good Luck on your weight loss.
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Red face Welcome!!!

Eam2ofus!!

You've come to a great place for advice, support & encouragement!!

I'm 45 years old too but, trust me...if I can do this...you CAN do this!!! You are right, weighing yourself everyday is not the best idea. Try to hold off and weigh maybe once a week. Drinking water is very important and was probably the hardest thing for me to do in the beginning but...you do get used to it.

If you'd ever like to chat, please feel free to PM me here and we can exchange email addresses

All the best to you!!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote