Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #1  
Awareness rising

S/C/G: 213/208/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Brand New and Trying to Figure It Out

Yikes! I have never tried posting before and am not great at computer stuff. I am also ready to try for the zillionth time to set a weight loss goal and actually get there. I haven't done this since 1982, when I starved myself to 130 pounds and stayed there for about 2 minutes. I have always labeled my weight control efforts as being "on the wagon" or "off the wagon." Lately I have been saying that I can't even find the wagon. But I would like to discover a new way of labeling my experience that will help me be successful.

Every summer I go on a long-weekend vacation with my best friend from college. At some point during every weekend, she asks if I want to go on a hike. And every time, I am so overweight and out of shape, I have to say no. She hikes alone. This year, I want to be healthy enough to say yes to that hike. So I am looking for a forum that helps scaredy cats like me find the courage to exercise. Any ideas?
want2hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You have come to the right place to get plenty of ideas!

Walking is a good start on an exercise program, and it's free! If it's too cold to walk outdoors where you live, try an indoor mall (but stay away from the food court ). Also, sometimes the Y has affordable memberships that include training on equipment and machines. And, there are women-only places like Curves and Contours Express--I used to be a Curves member, but now I go to the Y instead.

Instead of "on the wagon" or "off the wagon," think of it as a life change, because that's what it will be. A new way of looking at food and at eating. Many Chicks here don't like the term "diet" at all because it's associated with short-term: lose the weight then go back to the old ways. That hasn't worked.

Browse around the different forums and threads (posts). You're sure to find a lot of information.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #3  
Awareness rising

Thanks for the advice. It really helps to be welcomed. I think I will check out my local gym today!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/181/155

Height: 5'7"

Hello, I am new here also and can not get my progress bar to show up. How did you do that?
I am going to try one more thing here and maybe it will work!!!

Last edited by lindarobbins; 02-17-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: trying to get my progress to show up
lindarobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #5  
Awareness rising

Hi, Linda,

Look at the upper left hand corner of your screen and click on User CP. On the next screen, click on edit signature. You will see a weight tracker at the top, and under it an invitation to create your own. You just click on that, and it will guide you through!
Old 02-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #6  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi want2hike!

Welcome! Start slowly. Try walking for a short distance on a flat terrain. Build up your distance and your time on flat surfaces. Add a few small hills. You can scout areas with your car to find them first and record distances so you will know how far you have gone. Be patient with yourself!

Be sure to take water and some granola bars with you. Stretch before you begin, and stretch afterwards, too.

I never really exercised until about seven years ago. In that time I have worked from walking just a half mile to doing ten. The key is listen to your body and add challenge only when you are ready for it. Walking really builds endurance.

Walking gave me the courage to try other forms of exercise. I now do Turbo Jam, yoga, step aerobics, weight training, and exercises on my balance ball. At 55 I am in the best shape of my life, so you can do this,too, you really can!!!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 187/181/155

Height: 5'7"

I just had my weigh in and lost 1 more pound. That put me at 7 pounds for my first week. Is that normal? I just thought that seemed liked to much to loose in 1 week.

Last edited by lindarobbins; 02-18-2007 at 12:15 AM. Reason: wrong weight
lindarobbins is offline   Reply With Quote