Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #1  
rave

Default New kid on the block....

Hey all.

I was just reading the Oprah Magazine and thought i would swing by and check it out.

So about me.

I'm 18 and a freshman in college, and still living at home. I love sports. More specifically soccer and badminton. Pick up basketball every now again and i used to be a competitive swimmer. Despite all my running about and athletic activities i've always been overweight. Ever since i can remember i've been the biggest one on the block and i dont mean the tallest because i'm only 5'4. My mom has always pressured me to lose weight but never in a positive light, so i've never really wanted to until now.

I'm tired of being the fat one. I feel out of place everywhere i go. I always wear loose sweatshirts because i don't want anything tight. I absolutely hate showing my arms. and even worse my legs.

Why now? I'm going on spring break in a little over a month and i know i cant have a complete transformation but i can lose some which will make me feel better about myself. So i'm here seeking support on my effort to shed some pounds before spring break. any tips or encouraging words would be awesome.
ravetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You have taken the first step.What do you plan to do? Are you going to use a diet plan? There are many to choose from? Are you going to make better food choices? You might check out the different forums to see what you think would work best for you. You can do it. I find for myself that is is better if I do not announce to family and friends that I am dieting, that avoids a lot of unwanted and unhelpful advice.If anybody does question me or offer something fattening , I just say something like, Oh, I just don't feel like a donut (or whatever) today. Good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

You are younger than my son who is 19 years old.
If you were mine I would suggest you read all you can about the way your body works. I have just read three great books: YOU on a diet by Dr Oz and Roizen, Superfoods rx and Superfoods Healthstyle by Dr Pratt.
I wish someone would of given me that advice 20 years ago.
Also read this great story by one of our own super chicks:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84601
You can do it. We are all here for you.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, you're younger than all my kids too
I wish I had known about fitday.com much much sooner.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #5  
rave

The first thing to go was the soda. no more soda for me. i've successfully gone without for a little over a week. just water, crystal light, juices, and 1% milk. i don't really have a specific diet plan. but i am choosing better foods. fruits, 100 calorie packs, nuts, cereal (special K) things of that sort. instead of pizza, chips, fast food. and downsizing my portions. i do find myself slipping up sometimes. like tonite i went out to a fish fry. i try really hard but its hard to break old habits and my mom is no help cz she keeps offering me more. and as for excerise its kind of hard because i dont have money for a gym membership and its wicked cold and snow everywhere so i dont run outside. i have been trying to play Dance Dance Revolution because it has a workout program. anywho. thanks for the support and tips. :-)
ravetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #6  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Rave!

Welcome! Sounds like you have already made some positive changes! Don't worry about the fish fry! In the future just plan it into your day. Yesterday we went to one of my favorite restaurants. They have this KILLER homemade garlic bread. I KNEW that to have the homemade shells with tomatoes and cheese sauce AND the garlic bread would be way too many carbs for me, SOOOOOOOO I decided to order the spinach salad with dressing on the side and enjoy several of those delicious garlic breads. I still ended up way under my calorie count for the day and then could have a piece of Friendship Bread for dessert later on that evening. My total calorie count for the day was a very respectable 1500, AND I didn't deprive myself of the garlic bread OR the Friendship Bread. I was satisfied. I felt in control, and believe me I could NOT have said I was in control several months ago!

Good Luck!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote