Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/207/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Is this the newbie Confession Booth?

I'm 219 lbs, down from 238 eight months ago. Largest I had been in my life, and I've been overweight all of my adult life. Actually, four months ago I was all the way down to 206 in preparation to an awesome fun trip to the Dominicans. Even though it was just a 22 lb lost, people could really tell before I could. Felt great. Then I screwed it up again. My lifestyle kinda took a break. I quit my job, our roller derby season was over, and I studied harder and longer for finals than I ever had before. So with this long, luxurious break with all of my vacations, destressing, and being generally lazy for weeks on end, I seem to have regained 13 lbs.
So here I am, ready to start over again for real. I'm armed with something entirely new now – a brand spankin' new big@ss fancy elliptical machine at home.

I've only had one group type experience, that was with Weight Watchers, and they just seemed entirely too basic and patronizing for me. I know, I know... I've got issues, but if I had to hear “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels” one more time I was gonna strangle someone at that meeting.
For one thing, when I'm not busy, I'm a binge eater. Like hardcore “filling the void in my soul” or something type binge eater. Give me a plan, and I will break it within three days. It's a talent. Heh.

My new strategy is to become an exercisaholic. I'm up to over an hour a day on my elliptical, every day since christmas and once every other day or so I do these totally cheesy 80's fitness tapes I find in thrift stores.

As far as eating, I chose to do something different and try Diets To Go, a fresh food delivery service. As a long-time fat girl who has spent most of her life investigating healthy eating, I know how to eat right and what my portions should be. It's actually sticking to it that's the hard part, and my self-sabotage starts as early as at the grocery store. Even with a list! So I've eliminated that part and I don't have to worry about food preparation.

What I really need is some kinda network or people. Most of my friends are at their ideal weight or are calling themselves fat at 15 lbs over and I feel like I'm actually way more comfortable in my skin than they are. My close friends that are fat, are basically completely non-active and every time I try and use the buddy system to excersize with them, it's like they can never find the time. But when it comes to watching a movie, going out drinking, etc, they're all for it. So with the exception of my University Fitness center, which is scarily full of tiny girls and these crazy buff athletes, I don't really have people that inspire me all that much. I'm not very good at being open about wanting to lose weight. I know the answer lies in a total change in lifestyle, but sometimes it seems like I'm the only one I know that's forced to live that lifestyle, ya know?

I get inspired looking at before and after pics, but I think the best thing is that on here people that are maintaining their weight still stick around and there are people of all sizes that are all equally determined on getting and staying hot and healthy. I have lots of things to work on. I also don't show enthusiasm very well, but I assure you, I'm probably more inspired and and excited about this time really being the time that I get it all off of me. But I'm kinda scared of failing yet again, so I'm trying to get as much help support and guidance as I can afford. And as I just quit my job, I can pretty much only afford this ;>

I don't really know which forums to join as I'm not on really on any massmarketed eating plans that have a forum. The Alternachicks forum looks inactive, so I think I'm gonna sneak into the 100 lbs plus forum since my starting weight from last year and my goal weight are 98 lbs apart.
I'd love to talk to any other strange and not-so-strange folks, girl geeks, or anyone else out there that are going through the same things, or anyone who wants to drop me a line every once in a while to tell me to get my butt in gear!
Heh.

I have no pets but I kidnap...er, babysit my dad's cat whenever I feel like it. Bought a house 3 years ago, realized I could barely afford it so I shed my techie roots and became a trucker for a little over a year. Pretty much saved all of the money and am in school finishing my Electrical Engineering degree and for once in my adult life, I'm not working! Feels great!

Whoa. This is officially the most I've ever written about my weight.
May be a sign that this time it's for real!
Celestyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #2  

What an interesting (and just to be clear, I absolutely mean this in a good way) life you lead, Celestyna.

Welcome.

FWIW, I'm not on any official program either and I find that the Exercise and Maintenance folders are what I read most (even though I'm not ready for maintenance, the ongoing lifestyle aspect feels most comfortableto me).
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/207/135

Height: 5'4"

Heh. Thanks Maria!
Whoa I have a ton of questions for the excercize forum. And yeah, I have the same feeling of comfort when I see the maintainers. I think part of my problem isthat I just can't imagine myself keeping off the weight anymore. That'll have to change!
Celestyna is offline   Reply With Quote