Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #46  
Just Do It, Mom!

S/C/G: Restart 2/19/15. See Ticker

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful4Health View Post
Sue: I would rather be a little imperfect and distracted at times and healthy then "perfectly overweight" and unhealthy. That's part of why I had to give up my focus on eating organic whole foods for a while and eat the processed IP stuff. Now on maintenance I'm back to my whole foods, but soooooooo much better off. It was worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Thanks for showing us that it's possible to use IP as a tool but eventually transition into a way of eating that includes lots of whole, unprocessed foods during maintenance.
I, too, was SO glad to see this. This has been one of the struggles for me - we all know whole, unprocessed foods are better for our bodies - so how do we reconcile that with being on the IP program and consuming food from 'packets'. Agree wholeheartedly that the trade-off is SO worth it when you know temporarily eating this way will get you to a better state of health, quicker. And lets face it - I would hazard a guess that most of us got to where we are (or were) - very overweight - by eating processed foods that were a lot worse for us than IP packets! You don't get fat by eating only fresh fruits, veggies and lean protein! I hope by the time I reach Maintenance, that I will have had enough experience (and success) with switching my eating habits to those healthy, whole foods, that it will replace my bad habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser13 View Post
Well its 4am and i can't sleep....why? Because I ate so much junk food (and I do mean lots) that I am having cold sweats and can't sleep.... the second I have one bit of a chip...candy...I can't control it and spin out of control...as I eat I am telling myself to stop...but I don't listen.
I know exactly what you are experiencing. I have had 2 weeks in a row that I had a 1 day "carb binge" with an uncontrollable feeling of hunger and needing to get my hands on anything and everything I could to eat! I started out by just having more IP packets - and of course, these were on the heavier carb end of IP - first the IP chocolate bar (I can't have this in my house ever again I'm afraid!) - which only made the cravings worse, then soy nuts, then BBQ chips. But that still didn't satisfy me. I had purged my house of all non-IP foods EXCEPT I had oatmeal and sugar in the cupboard because my grandkids LOVE oatmeal for breakfast when they sleep over. So, there I was, in addition to the IP packets I already added, making myself 2 huge bowls of oatmeal with LOTS of butter and REAL sugar. The next morning I was up 4 lbs on the scale. I immediately went right back to strict IP and was able to still squeak out a 1.6 lb loss at weigh-in. This week, I did something similar - again a 1 day binge, and again got right back on track, but this week was UP 0.6 lbs at my weigh in. I confessed all, both weeks, to my coach - who has been through it all on IP herself and is VERY supportive and understanding - and she gave me kudos for getting right back on and not blowing more than the 1 day, but she also said "when I see something that looks like it might become a pattern - I have to ask "how important is this to you" And it was delivered not in a punitive tone, but in an "I care about you" tone (as mentioned - the need to be gentle to yourself...). That has really stuck with me and I'm so glad that she gave me that little bit of 'tough love' because this weekend (weekends are so hard....) I've had some periods of hunger where I know I COULD have started a binge - but there is no way now that I want to have to go back in there and tell my coach I did it again! And I stop and ask myself "how important is this to you" and it stops me in my tracks. Just keeping strong and getting past that urge makes me feel so much better about myself.

As far as the 'cold sweats' - that's very interesting, because both nights of my binges, I had 'hot flashes' and 'night sweats' - similar to what I experienced early in menopause - but that I haven't had for awhile. Obviously something hormonal is triggered by all that carb-laden food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
If you have lots of weight to lose it isn't about getting it right every single time. It's about learning tips to stop you from regaining weight once you finish the weight loss element of IP. The only way you can be successful in that is by learning what derails you on the journey, and understanding how to work around those desires.

Don't beat yourself up, you're human and mistakes are going to happen. Hop back up onto the IP bench and plan plan plan how you can avoid that slippery slope next time.
Yes, planning and being prepared cannot be overstated! This, I recognized, contributed to my binges. I had nothing prepared to grab (other than IP packets and then the darn oatmeal!) when I had an urge.

Last edited by 3sisters; 05-03-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #47  
IP Start 6/17/14

S/C/G: 216/160.8/160.0

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by frawniemae View Post
It's been a beautiful weekend after all the horrible rain that this area saw while we were gone on vacation. One storm was almost as ferocious as when Hurricane Rita blew through here with winds in some areas reaching almost 80 mph. Unfortunately, my cat (who showed up as a stray after Rita) ran away during that stormy night. It's been 3 weeks and I'm pretty sure she's not coming back. She was at least 9 years old, albino, terrified of being IN a house so she lived outside and stayed mostly in the garage. my daughter was coming over 2x a day to feed and water, pet and "visit with" her each day and the morning on the day of that stormy night DD said Snowball hissed at her and wouldn't come in to eat. I think she knew a storm was coming. DD is upset because the cat ran away on "her watch" but I told her she's not to blame. I just hope that where ever Snowball ran to that she is being taken care of. There has been no sighting of her by anyone I've talked to. Of course, there is the possibility that she died somewhere alone and that's what is hurting me most. Or a hawk or swallowtail kite got her but I'll never know.

I'm not getting/taking in anymore animals. I'm allergic, they have to live outside, and we want to travel more so they'd be left alone. It wouldn't be fair to them.

So, give your pet an extra ear scritching and belly rub for me this morning!
So sorry about this. Hugs to you.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 221/0/165

Height: 5'6

Default Scale Going the Right way!

I was down again this week.
I had TAH on April 6th and I have been in the house, for the past 3 weeks in my PJ's moving around slowly. I was down 2lbs this week, so I decided to get out of the house (I couldn't drive for 3 weeks), and put on some real clothes. My jeans are now a little loose, and a new pair that was in my closet I can fit. Even though both are a size 12 they are different styles and fit differently. This has encouraged me to continue the journey, it is not coming off as fast as others, but I am no complaining. I am going to keep chipping away, and increase my knowledge from this site of how to work the plan.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 252.2/213.0/145/size 8

Height: 5'6"

Has anyone tried the chicken a la king pottage? Thoughts? How have your doctored it up? Thanks!
Old 05-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #50  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamara View Post
Has anyone tried the chicken a la king pottage? Thoughts? How have your doctored it up? Thanks!
I used to have it at least 3x per week and finally OD'd on it. I steam up cauli rice and stir it in to the pottage mix. Then cook an additional 90-120 seconds. (additional to the cauli rice, not to the soup mix) I like to add a little curry powder. Not much, don't want to overwhelm the whole thing! When available I toss in fresh herbs.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 196/174/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntRose View Post

For some reason I got to thinking about my cup of kale I put in my shake in the mornings. Realized is it supposed to be packed lightly or heavily? Am I getting a whole cup? Then after tail spinning into all kinds of worry about how I might be messing up I thought. I will just find out how much it supposed to weigh! {internet searching, much getting confused, writing this and then light bulb moment} Oh my goodness, I just realized after searching for weights, which had me confused that I was missing or just not seeing that some were in ounces some in grams. I am too tired. I am finishing my food diary and heading to bed.

According to my IP literature, a half cup of raw kale is 33.5 grams.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrealtor1 View Post
so sad this am.... I have been waiting and waiting to wear the cutest pair of black capris that have been in my closet for years....I could not get them on last year and I have been dreaming of them....I pulled them on this morning without unzipping or unbottoning them and they are literally hanging on me....like fast walking and they will be at my ankles... I hope the people at the mission where I donate my clothes enjoy my capris! LOL

Off to a college visit for my son today.
That absolutely ROCKS Sue Time to find them in a smaller size!
Old 05-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Ever wonder what your breasts actually weigh? I found an interesting chart... I was looking for something on this for a MFP forum.
http://www.kdwb.com/onair/the-dave-r...size-12418095/
(just in the realm of 'weird things to impress others with at a dinner party', lol)
Liana
Old 05-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamara View Post
I like it as is, also with steamed broccoli in it. I like it on cold days. It's very filling
Old 05-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #55  
started IP 3/19/15

S/C/G: 180/156/138

Hi all, I've been really busy with work so I've read but haven't had a chance to write in at all. I've been doing great with packets/veggies/etc .....except for Saturday. I had one beer. It's so hard with the nice weather approaching. Should I confess to my coach? That's what the are there for, right? ugh.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:49 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 193/161/150

Height: 5'5"

Today was dangerously close. I almost went off on a bender. Stress from work and thinking of the week to come is intense. I almost made chocolate chip cookies. I stayed OP but it was dangerously close today.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:54 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 252.2/213.0/145/size 8

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Linda and Great Dane! I found a biscuit recipe that I'm going try. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:42 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdramalover View Post
Today was dangerously close. I almost went off on a bender. Stress from work and thinking of the week to come is intense. I almost made chocolate chip cookies. I stayed OP but it was dangerously close today.
You made it though! And recognized triggers - good knowledge for post-goal / maintainenc sorry about the stress and hope that levels out soon
Old 05-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Well, that's a happy kind of sad, Sue.

I had those kinds of things happen with me but not with my "favorites". We all have those items that just feel so good because they're cut just right for our bodies. I read an article yesterday and have decided I'm going thru my closet and getting rid of anything that wasn't a "favorite" and slowly starting over. It was a great article about how we only need about 40 items of clothing in our closets (written by someone who had been mostly living in yoga pants).

A revamp is in order at my house!

I have baked and frozen for a trip.
It worked fine for me.
Didn't matter if it was IP brand or another.
IP brand has no magic.
I always have been quite the purger, but I really wanted to wear these pants lol... They were a size 18 and I am out of "most" of them..I should have know LOL... And you are so right on too many clothes. I have significantly less since my start of IP and now I find that I want to wear what I have and I don't pass things over for fit because basicilly I only have things that fit. All the tight stuff is gone! Everything left fits or is a bit big. Now however I do need to re-try the spring stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
Awww Sue .... that exact thing happened with my favourite skirt. It's the only piece of clothing that I'm seriously considering taking to a tailor to have reduced (no way in heck am I eve thinking about trying to do it myself). Is it something you'd consider for your capris?

Hope you and DS have a good college trip. Does he have any preferences yet?
I am not sure how they could take in these capris, but that is actually a good idea. I am going to talk to the tailor this week. My real issue is my waist is so big on them...maybe he can make something work. College visit went well. He could commute from the one we saw today it is only 30 minutes away, but of course this is the one that he really liked the dorms! LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frawniemae View Post
It's been a beautiful weekend after all the horrible rain that this area saw while we were gone on vacation. One storm was almost as ferocious as when Hurricane Rita blew through here with winds in some areas reaching almost 80 mph. Unfortunately, my cat (who showed up as a stray after Rita) ran away during that stormy night. It's been 3 weeks and I'm pretty sure she's not coming back. She was at least 9 years old, albino, terrified of being IN a house so she lived outside and stayed mostly in the garage. my daughter was coming over 2x a day to feed and water, pet and "visit with" her each day and the morning on the day of that stormy night DD said Snowball hissed at her and wouldn't come in to eat. I think she knew a storm was coming. DD is upset because the cat ran away on "her watch" but I told her she's not to blame. I just hope that where ever Snowball ran to that she is being taken care of. There has been no sighting of her by anyone I've talked to. Of course, there is the possibility that she died somewhere alone and that's what is hurting me most. Or a hawk or swallowtail kite got her but I'll never know.

I'm not getting/taking in anymore animals. I'm allergic, they have to live outside, and we want to travel more so they'd be left alone. It wouldn't be fair to them.

So, give your pet an extra ear scritching and belly rub for me this morning!
OK gave doggie an extra squeeze, so sorry about the cat! I am often in the same delima wanting a pet and wanting to travel. I pay thru the nose to board my dog when we go away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZoe View Post
You are not alone and you are courageous and honest for posting this. IP helps with weight loss but not with our years of habits and emotional issues. You may want to read The End of Overeating by David Kessler ( I think). Helps to understand the trigger and habit pattern that are ingrained in us. This whole process is like AA...we need to work this program for the rest of our lives. You can do this....we can do this together.
Thanks for the book tip! Going to find that right now on Amazon as I really feel I have not resolved that issue after all these months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingras View Post
I was down again this week.
I had TAH on April 6th and I have been in the house, for the past 3 weeks in my PJ's moving around slowly. I was down 2lbs this week, so I decided to get out of the house (I couldn't drive for 3 weeks), and put on some real clothes. My jeans are now a little loose, and a new pair that was in my closet I can fit. Even though both are a size 12 they are different styles and fit differently. This has encouraged me to continue the journey, it is not coming off as fast as others, but I am no complaining. I am going to keep chipping away, and increase my knowledge from this site of how to work the plan.
Good job! Slow is fine just look at my stats! The goal is still a goal no matter how long it takes and don't compare yourself to others...everyone has a different journey....

Monday and back to the weekday routine.....I think if I play my cards right I may be able to have a day off on Thursday.....Think I will book a pedicure...
Closed Thread