Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by momat40 View Post
How do you respond to an IP sceptic? My DH is using a personal trainer and was lecturing me on how i'm starving myself and losing muscle. I tried to explain that i'm not losing muscle, but fat. This is not Atkins. The conversation went on and on and I just told him I was there to support my DH on his journey by being present w/kids and doing something together.

On a side note, I've done the excercise, WW and in a real world IP is the only thing that has worked for me. He was like, well you've gained it back. Not entirely true, i've gained because I haven't properly maintained! It would be the same with his workouts for DH.

So in the end, it doesn't matter how you lose it, for me IP works, and I chose to do it this way. ok ... sorry end of soap box.
FYI: You don't lose muscle on Atkins, either. Atkins works the same way with with protein sparing the muscle.

And...gaining it back has NOTHING to do with how you lost it and EVERYTHING to do with whether there is a lifestyle change or not. When I've regained, it has been due to my own negligence in following a prescribed maintenance plan. Nobody's fault but my own and NOT the fault of the diet.

Any diet works if you can stick to it. IP just works better for me b/c not only does it get me into ketosis (Atkins does also) but it also limits portions. I need portion control b/c I'm a volume eater. I was allowed too much food on Atkins to have success (well, I was successful once but, again, didn't follow the maintenance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo View Post
You don't respond. You just keep doing what you are doing.
Where is my LIKE button?
Old 01-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #17  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Hi y'alll.

How do you respond to an IP sceptic? My DH is using a personal trainer and was lecturing me on how i'm starving myself and losing muscle. I tried to explain that i'm not losing muscle, but fat. This is not Atkins. The conversation went on and on and I just told him I was there to support my DH on his journey by being present w/kids and doing something together.

On a side note, I've done the excercise, WW and in a real world IP is the only thing that has worked for me. He was like, well you've gained it back. Not entirely true, i've gained because I haven't properly maintained! It would be the same with his workouts for DH.

So in the end, it doesn't matter how you lose it, for me IP works, and I chose to do it this way. ok ... sorry end of soap box.
You're welcome to tell DH that I've been on IP since August 26th, have been measured in a bod pod (so they can't dispute the facts of the medical community's measuring tools), have lost 70lbs, gone from 48% body fat to 36.7%, have GAINED muscle, have plenty of energy and will be able to provide blood test results after next week.

Every single diet burns a percentage of muscle WITH fat, no matter what you do. With IP, over time you reduce your basal metabolic rate (the amount of calories that your body needs to just function while you are asleep) but this recovers once you PHASE out properly. If you choose to exercise once ketosis is established then your metabolic rate will stabilise and reduce by a much smaller percentage. There are ways on IP to build muscle - you can tailor your muscle building amino acids (BCAAs) before/after any exercise, you can undertake strength training (which basically breaks them down and repairs them every time you do it) and you can eat the right types of protein at the right times for your body to optimally build muscle and lean tissue.

Evidently this trainer is pushing what he DOES know - exercise and the Standard American Diet nutrition - which, let's face it, doesn't work so well for nearly 40% of the obese general public, does it. If he was a professional nutritionist then he would be aware that there is a growing movement towards ketogenic diets within the sporting and medical communities. He is not current on his information and he is attempting to challenge what he does not know.

Last edited by Briael; 01-31-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #18  

Height: 5'3"

It is my 4th day on IP and I'm doing pretty well! I've been browsing the forum for most of the afternoon coming up with some great recipes to keep things interesting when a simple meal of grilled chicken and broccoli just isn't doing it for me.

Right now my house smells amazing with pork tenderloin in the crockpot and I'm about to make some cauliflower tortillas to go along with it; should be simple but delicious!
Old 01-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #19  
IP Restart 1/4/16

S/C/G: 213.5/191.2/150

Height: 5'4.5"

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who encouraged me and gave me insight on losing during TOM. I lost 2.9lbs this week and shocked my coach who told me I wouldn't lose during TOM.

Congrats to everyone who has lost and/or stayed on plan and to anyone who has had A NSV.

@readytolive

That sounds absolutely delicious; congratulations on your progress thus far!

Last edited by Lilaberry; 01-31-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:43 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 190/138 - 2012; Reboot 175/140

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo View Post
You don't respond. You just keep doing what you are doing. Would take a long time to convince me this is not the way to go. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
And...gaining it back has NOTHING to do with how you lost it and EVERYTHING to do with whether there is a lifestyle change or not. When I've regained, it has been due to my own negligence in following a prescribed maintenance plan. Nobody's fault but my own and NOT the fault of the diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
If he was a professional nutritionist then he would be aware that there is a growing movement towards ketogenic diets within the sporting and medical communities. He is not current on his information and he is attempting to challenge what he does not know.
Thank you ladies. I just felt so attacked, but know in my heart that IP works well for me. I'm not dying, i'm not starving.. it's the best I feel when on IP. I had success before in 2012 and lost 50, maintained and then life got in the way and I gained half of it back. I'm not against building muscle or using him after I reach goal, but he just hit a nerve today and I just ended the conversation and redirected it to DH wanting to do something for himself. After reading your replies, it encourages me to stick to my guns.

Thank you!

And to those that have had NSVs this super bowl weekend, congrats.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:59 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 218/120/120 Reboot 185/123/135

There will always be the skeptics. Those of us who have been on this program know it does work and it makes sense if people are willing to become educated about it. If we regain weight it is just like anyone else that gains weight. It is because we do not eat the correct way and go back to old, bad habits.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:41 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 194/141/125

Height: 5'

Since I'm down 20 pounds and 23", I decided to treat myself to a little shopping trip to the CAbi Factory Outlet in San Marcos. Made out like a bandit! Got 5 items for less than what a current season CAbi jacket would cost. Thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #23  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

Quote:

How do you respond to an IP sceptic?

Well you can't deal with them. It kinda like religion, politics, and sex. You don't change peoples positions. Simple and easy if they know anything about blood markers. Know your CRP and HgA1C. If those markers are low then you aren't at risk for most modern lifestyle diseases. You have science markers on your side. Higher fat diets are making movement forward. Sweden government actually changed it recommendation to a higher fat diet and lower carbohydrate consumption.
This is a new article, I heard about it in 2013. http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/swe...fat-nutrition/

Ketogenic has benefits beyond weight loss, mental cognition, nervous system improvement, and used as part of cancer prevention or treatment.

Atkins does not lose muscle unless you are hyper restrictive with calories. I had great luck with it in '97. It biggest flaw is it doesn't really consider food quality. Especially sources of fats and proteins. My keto breath was horrible on it. I listened to Paul Chek and that got me into recognizing fat quality and hydration to effect keto breath. While on IP my wife never complained of my breath.

IP and Atkins principles are basically identical. Differences are Atkins doesn't have such a deficit of calories, having to read the book so coaching is zero, and back when I did it no engineered foods offered. You know how many people I know claiming to do Atkins but never read the books. They read some page or two abbreviations and try it or make judgements from that. Same goes for the diet bashers. If you look at low carb paleo, Autoimmune Paleo, Wheat belly, Grain brain, Gary Taubs recommendations and Wahls protocol are all very low carb and have ketosis or near ketosis states especially in the elimination phases of their recommendations. It just a matter of finding the trigger that work. And not everybody functions well on VLCD and need more carbs. I am not one of them. My body doesn't need many to function fine.

Atkins wasn't even one of the first publications promoting a low carb approach. The first low-carbohydrate diet book (likely not Keto) was written in 1863 by William Banting as a service to his fellow Man. His name passed into the language as the verb 'to bant'. That the 'Banting diet' works has been attested to by 140 years of epidemiological studies and clinical trials. For the sake of our health, it is time we started 'banting' again.

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/ban...l#.VM2CDS6Wk4Q

IP is a starvation diet, or you wouldn't be losing weight. Not all calories are metabolized the same but at some point calories intake matter. Because you aren't hungry when in ketosis doesn't mean it isn't starvation. The body is consuming itself, hopefully fat.

You can/ will lose muscle tissue on all diets, as you do with inactivity.
You do have to have the building materials to make muscle or maintain it. Or working out will actually cause muscle breakdown.

Excessive low carb/ keto thyroid function down regulation does happen. It doesn't appear to be permanent and rebounds quickly. This can also be mitigated by some simple things.

Last edited by wylothar; 01-31-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:56 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 186/178/160

Height: 5'6"

Hey all, just checking in. After a horrible/sad day yesterday, I had a fabulous day with my mom. That woman is 85, recovering from a partial hip replacement and still up for shopping and more shopping. Will begin my reboot tomorrow and back on the journey again.
Have a great evening IP buds.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:56 PM   #25  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylothar View Post
Well you can't deal with them. It kinda like religion, politics, and sex. You don't change peoples positions. Simple and easy if they know anything about blood markers. Know your CRP and HgA1C. If those markers are low then you aren't at risk for most modern lifestyle diseases. You have science markers on your side. Higher fat diets are making movement forward. Switzerland government actually changed it recommendation to a higher fat diet and lower carbohydrate consumption.
Ketogenic has benefits beyond weight loss, mental cognition, nervous system improvement, and used as part of cancer prevention or treatment.

Atkins does not lose muscle unless you are hyper restrictive with calories. I had great luck with it in '97. It biggest flaw is it doesn't really consider food quality. Especially sources of fats and proteins. My keto breath was horrible on it. I listened to Paul Chek and that got me into recognizing fat quality and hydration to effect keto breath. While on IP my wife never complained of my breath.

IP and Atkins principles are basically identical. Differences are Atkins doesn't have such a deficit of calories, having to read the book so coaching is zero, and back when I did it no engineered foods offered. You know how many people I know claiming to do Atkins but never read the books. They read some page or two abbreviations and try it or make judgements from that. Same goes for the diet bashers. If you look at low carb paleo, Autoimmune Paleo, Wheat belly, Grain brain, Gary Taubs recommendations and Wahls protocol are all very low carb and have ketosis or near ketosis states especially in the elimination phases of their recommendations. It just a matter of finding the trigger that work. And not everybody functions well on VLCD and need more carbs. I am not one of them. My body doesn't need many to function fine.

Atkins wasn't even one of the first publications promoting a low carb approach. The first low-carbohydrate diet book (likely not Keto) was written in 1863 by William Banting as a service to his fellow Man. His name passed into the language as the verb 'to bant'. That the 'Banting diet' works has been attested to by 140 years of epidemiological studies and clinical trials. For the sake of our health, it is time we started 'banting' again.

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/ban...l#.VM2CDS6Wk4Q

IP is a starvation diet, or you wouldn't be losing weight. Not all calories are metabolized the same but at some point calories intake matter. Because you aren't hungry when in ketosis doesn't mean it isn't starvation. The body is consuming itself, hopefully fat.

You can/ will lose muscle tissue on all diets, as you do with inactivity.
You do have to have the building materials to make muscle or maintain it. Or working out will actually cause muscle breakdown.

Excessive low carb/ keto thyroid function down regulation does happen. It doesn't appear to be permanent and rebounds quickly. This can also be mitigated by some simple things.
i learn something every time i read one of your posts!! thank you
Old 02-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizBeadz View Post
Since I'm down 20 pounds and 23", I decided to treat myself to a little shopping trip to the CAbi Factory Outlet in San Marcos. Made out like a bandit! Got 5 items for less than what a current season CAbi jacket would cost. Thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love CABI! I just "won" two size Medium tops from e-bay. I love that I know they'll fit in my new skinnier self.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylothar View Post
I've come to a point in my life where a lot of things are converging for me. I've had 2 major diets in my life (and lots of mini-failed diets). The 2 diets that were a resounding success for me are Atkins and IP. They were easy to follow and just down right worked. For the Atkins one, I kept the weight off for 2 years, then had multiple pregnancies, 2 kids, and I gained a lot of weight. It was hard for me to get back to the diet for some reason even though I knew it worked. I think if the rest of the world ate the low carb way (I wish I lived in Sweden!) it might be easier. Then, I had a child with food allergies so I educated myself more about processed foods. Had to make a lot of the snacky foods from scratch. This diet has moved me even further to having an appreciation for vegetables and non-sauce, non-processed salad dressing. Whole foods, watching the sugars. Maintenance will of course be my next big journey and for now it scares me.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #28  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta10 View Post
I've come to a point in my life where a lot of things are converging for me. I've had 2 major diets in my life (and lots of mini-failed diets). The 2 diets that were a resounding success for me are Atkins and IP. They were easy to follow and just down right worked. For the Atkins one, I kept the weight off for 2 years, then had multiple pregnancies, 2 kids, and I gained a lot of weight. It was hard for me to get back to the diet for some reason even though I knew it worked. I think if the rest of the world ate the low carb way (I wish I lived in Sweden!) it might be easier. Then, I had a child with food allergies so I educated myself more about processed foods. Had to make a lot of the snacky foods from scratch. This diet has moved me even further to having an appreciation for vegetables and non-sauce, non-processed salad dressing. Whole foods, watching the sugars. Maintenance will of course be my next big journey and for now it scares me.
Very thoughtful post, Shast10 - I have had good success with Atkins in the past too - also with Nutrisystem, and even Optifast, but I never followed the pertinent maintenance plan for very long, and so I regained.

And after I regained, getting my head together to reboot, on any of those plans, was like facing MT Everest.... The mental baggage associated with regaining is so debilitating. Instead of getting back on plan I managed to gain new excess pounds, so the next 'diet to lose phase' was even more of a chore than the last. I also found that re-trying things that had worked before was never the same. I had found ways to cut corners, little cheating practices that undermined repeat success... I can only call it 'self sabotage.'

I wonder what I will do differently this time - phasing off correctly is critical and then following the rules for maintenance are essential to keep the excess weight off. It is definitely a fearful proposition.

I believe our continued participation on 3FC is going to be as helpful for ongoing maintenance as it has been for losing the weight in P1. In fact, I can see that it's going to be essential to success in keeping the weight off. I am grateful to know that I won't be facing the challenge alone, and that others who have experience with maintenance will reach out and support me along the way.

This time I am in for the duration. I will count on sharing things like your knowledge of whole foods and clean eating, along with tips on making it work from the Phase 4 long timers. There is a great deal of help here - and I know I am going to need it. The good thing is that I know I won't be alone - I think we can succeed if we continue to do this together.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 194/141/125

Height: 5'

Maintenance scares me, too, even though it's months away. It was so easy to gain...... I want to be able to enjoy life which I am, but I don't want to feel so deprived, either. For ages, I've gone without foods I like because the calorie count scared the living daylight out of me.....and I wasn't losing. This can get depressing......guess I'd better get those CAbi pants hemmed so I can wear them! before they're too big!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #30  

Does anyone have exactly what dosage of vitamins we need to take in a day? I do IP alternatives so I don't have access to their vitamins. As of right now I take 1 centrum silver women's and 1 omega 3 in the morning, but that is all I take. I've had success only taking those in the past, but I want to make sure my body is getting everything it can. Help!

Other than that, week 1 is going pretty well! I jumped on the scale and as of this morning, I'm down 4lbs though I'm not counting that. As long as I know I'm moving in the right direction, it makes pushing through so much easier.
Closed Thread