Old 01-19-2015, 08:19 AM   #46  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi, everyone! Happy to see this thread here.

I used the C25K app last year and completed it, when I was in maintenance. I am now rebooting. Probably will wait until things defrost a bit here - I enjoy running outdoors, but not on the treadmill so much. Don't want to risk an injury slipping on the snow and ice.

Please remember to get a good pair of running shoes professionally fitted. In the past, I did not do that, and always stopped because of shin splints. Last year, that made a big difference for me. Love my new running shoes!

I use my own music with the app.

This year, my goal will be to actually run a 5K race, not just complete the training.

Can someone talk about timing of extra protein? I generally run early morning and do not eat before a run. Do you usually have extra protein before or after a run?
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #47  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterminedDieter View Post
I did take it easy this morning and it didn't seem to bother me, it's only slightly tender when you press the muscle. And it feels really good to get back into, I hope everyone is keeping with it as it is another way to feel great about what you are doing for yourself
Glad to hear it went smoothly and you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post

I used the C25K app last year and completed it, when I was in maintenance. I am now rebooting. Probably will wait until things defrost a bit here - I enjoy running outdoors, but not on the treadmill so much. Don't want to risk an injury slipping on the snow and ice.

Please remember to get a good pair of running shoes professionally fitted. In the past, I did not do that, and always stopped because of shin splints. Last year, that made a big difference for me. Love my new running shoes!

I use my own music with the app.

This year, my goal will be to actually run a 5K race, not just complete the training.

Can someone talk about timing of extra protein? I generally run early morning and do not eat before a run. Do you usually have extra protein before or after a run?
I agree on the shoes. Especially important to get support shoes if you have raised arches, and lightweight ones really help you keep lifting those feet when you get tired.

Another tip I wanted to share. I have lots of friends who are hardcore runners and they recommended getting toe socks, because separating the toes reduces the likelihood of blisters where the toes rub while you are in constant motion. I treated myself to some Injinji socks last year and absolutely love them and haven't had a single blister since I began walking/running so they really do work.

Extra protein. I tend to have either an extra packet or its equivalent in protein shake as soon as I get home. It is, apparently, more readily taken up by the body in the first hour after energy is expended when the muscles still need it. If I'm walking I know that I have sufficient ketones available for it and walk on an empty stomach. If I'm doing C25K or strength training I will always have something, because the energy expenditure is higher and the risk of injury greater. For C25K I have my drink around 30 mins before I actually begin. For the gym I have a caffeine protein shake to help boost energy levels for lifting.

The really important thing after running intervals is to make sure you take in some sodium with your water. As the body sweats you are losing sodium and this diet is pretty low on it to start with. As sodium is part of the electrolyte group it's necessary to make sure you are getting enough to stop muscle cramping and lightheadedness.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Great info! And I agree about the shoes! I started developing shin splints while doing the Run5k program a couple of years ago, my shoes weren't cheap, but they were old. Buying new shoes eliminated this problem. They definitely need to be replaced regularly, especially if you are wearing them a lot, they don't have to look like they are falling apart to be worn out.
DeterminedDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #49  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Question for all of you--Every time I run, the first two weeks or so I am prone to pulling muscles in my neck. Usually it's along the back side of my neck just to the right or left of my spine. It usually makes for a day or two where I can't turn my head too quickly. Is it my form? My shoes? Am I bouncing to much or pushing too hard? Just wondering if anyone else experiences this.
pishposhappelsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 145/120/125

Height: 5'3

Hi pishposh -- thought I'd send a quick reply as I sit here munching on a Quest bar after today workout…. Try a quick google search for this. It sounds like a fairly common issue with runners (both experienced and not) and is likely due to your form. Could be anything from leaning too far forward, or your head is, or your fists are clenched, or your speed is too fast, or your back needs to be stronger, etc. One that I know I need to work on myself is strengthening my core and back muscles, so I try to do a few back stretches before and after any kind of workout. Maybe that would help you. Or maybe we just all need a massage! Feel better and good luck.
Mimi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #51  

Pishposh, I've found that if I am inactive for a length of time (even if I miss a couple of weeks) and then jump back in at too high an intensity I get horrible headaches that rival my regular migraines, and they can last for days. I just have to ease gently and slowly back into it. The only advice I can give is from my experience and it's to take it easy on top of Mimi's advice. Of course as mentioned, good shoes are always important.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:50 PM   #52  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishposhappelsauce View Post
Question for all of you--Every time I run, the first two weeks or so I am prone to pulling muscles in my neck. Usually it's along the back side of my neck just to the right or left of my spine. It usually makes for a day or two where I can't turn my head too quickly. Is it my form? My shoes? Am I bouncing to much or pushing too hard? Just wondering if anyone else experiences this.
Possibly tension or positional. Do you do any warm up exercises where you rotate your head and flex the shoulders and shrug them up to the ears? If you are anxious about running you could be tensing up.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #53  

Hi IPeeps, I did day 2 this morning, thought I would post to help keep me motivated to get up earlier in the mornings. I had half a bar before and half after (chocolate coconut - YUM) and I will have the raspberry gelatin for my extra packet this evening.

A couple of questions:

Does anyone know why it's recommend to have the gelatin only every other day?

I am using Zen Labs c25k and while it tracks my distance and calories while my session is running it doesn't hold the data, it shows some ridiculous values, so I can't look at my final results. Does anyone else have this issue, and/or know how to fix it?

Thanks, and have a wonderful OP day and keep moving
Old 01-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
A couple of questions:

Someone else can be more "science-y" but basically it's not a complete protein, so you shouldn't have it daily. You can use it every other day, either as one of your 3 packets, or as an "extra" packet (4th for the day) if it doesn't affect your weight loss.

Also just wanted to give y'all an update, I've decided the C25K isn't the right program for me, but wishing everyone the best of luck!!
JJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

OK, so I did C25K last Tuesday, Wed, Thursday. I had planned on doing it last night but ended up grocery shopping after work, and after putting away groceries, cooking dinner, and cleaning up I just didn't feel like getting on the treadmill!! But I will tonight!!

I'm actually looking forward to a nice walk/jog!!
Kellyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #56  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Hi IPeeps, I did day 2 this morning, thought I would post to help keep me motivated to get up earlier in the mornings. I had half a bar before and half after (chocolate coconut - YUM) and I will have the raspberry gelatin for my extra packet this evening.

A couple of questions:

I am using Zen Labs c25k and while it tracks my distance and calories while my session is running it doesn't hold the data, it shows some ridiculous values, so I can't look at my final results. Does anyone else have this issue, and/or know how to fix it?

Thanks, and have a wonderful OP day and keep moving
I have the same issue with the garmin. It gives me crazy numbers for calories burned (22 Hahahahah) and it gives me wildly different distances to what others seem to have clocked up. I have been basing my caloric burn on this site and adding around 1/6th extra burn for the weight difference. It may not be hugely accurate, but at least it's better than the garmin's evidently crazy results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTx View Post

Also just wanted to give y'all an update, I've decided the C25K isn't the right program for me, but wishing everyone the best of luck!!
I'm glad you're going with what works for you, that is the most important part of this entire journey. Hope you'll stick around on the thread with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyc14 View Post
OK, so I did C25K last Tuesday, Wed, Thursday. I had planned on doing it last night but ended up grocery shopping after work, and after putting away groceries, cooking dinner, and cleaning up I just didn't feel like getting on the treadmill!! But I will tonight!!

I'm actually looking forward to a nice walk/jog!!
Please be careful. The program is designed for a rest day in between each run day, so you don't destroy your muscle. Don't forget that you are not a machine, your bod needs to recover in between.

Glad you got through week1 happily. On to a new week's challenge.

Week 2 Day 1 for me. Had a bod pod appointment first thing and felt very rushed heading to the track, as DH had the appt after mine and I skipped out on him to get my run in. First run interval was a step up from last week, and the last one I was beginning to get tired (didn't help that my sports bra and the heart rate monitor were soaked from a water bottle spill in the gym bag - as I had been in a swimsuit for the bodpod test) but the middle ones felt effortless. I seem to have settled into a narrow speed range for all of the run intervals - 11:40 to 12:15 - which is great for consistency. It'll be interesting to see if that changes with the longer run intervals in coming weeks.

How's Week 2 working out for everyone else?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #57  

Great to see so many keeping at it! I'm on Week 2 as well -- took off yesterday and today. Had a crazy intense, but very fun, workout yesterday for 1.5 hrs. then tennis today and again tomorrow, so I will not run until Friday. My three days of running per week are going to have to keep switching around. Amanda -- nice job on the running! You are much faster than I! I go about 4.5 on the treadmill, so I think that would convert to 13.33.

So, I definitely felt that I needed way more energy for that workout yesterday. Should've had something right before (maybe with more calories?) and right after. Today was no problem -- not so intense, so I was fine with my lunch IP item (bar) and then a hard-boiled egg with my lunch salad after. Planning to do same tomorrow. Of course, my WI is tomorrow, and I expect no loss -- not only am I bloated this week, but I will probably see an increase in lean body mass (which I need). So, I am not going to complain (unless it's a big gain, of course -- that will make me complain!).

Anyway, that's my update. Off to finalize dinner. Halibut tonight. Cheers all!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #58  

Amanda -- Please tell us more about the bod pod appointment! So curious!
Old 01-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #59  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi47 View Post
Great to see so many keeping at it! I'm on Week 2 as well -- took off yesterday and today. Had a crazy intense, but very fun, workout yesterday for 1.5 hrs. then tennis today and again tomorrow, so I will not run until Friday. My three days of running per week are going to have to keep switching around. Amanda -- nice job on the running! You are much faster than I! I go about 4.5 on the treadmill, so I think that would convert to 13.33.

So, I definitely felt that I needed way more energy for that workout yesterday. Should've had something right before (maybe with more calories?) and right after. Today was no problem -- not so intense, so I was fine with my lunch IP item (bar) and then a hard-boiled egg with my lunch salad after. Planning to do same tomorrow. Of course, my WI is tomorrow, and I expect no loss -- not only am I bloated this week, but I will probably see an increase in lean body mass (which I need). So, I am not going to complain (unless it's a big gain, of course -- that will make me complain!).

Anyway, that's my update. Off to finalize dinner. Halibut tonight. Cheers all!
Sounds like you're as enthusiastic about exercise as I am, and have the same energy level on ketones!! I love it.

You'd run faster if you were following ultra-fit (and physically fit LOL) young soldiers round an indoor track, too! Can't exactly "poodle" around a track and have them snickering. Let's just say that I enjoy my track days more when hubby isn't with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi47 View Post
Amanda -- Please tell us more about the bod pod appointment! So curious!
It was interesting, so much quicker than I expected. They put you in what looks like a breadmaker with a big diver's bubble on the top half. It clanks like an MRI machine and it hisses like blowing up a bicycle tire, but you're only in it for about 3 minutes total. The worst part was wearing a speedo swimsuit (the thinner the better for accuracy) with all my wobbly bits on full display, but the guy was very experienced and is obviously used to not looking at bodies.

It calculates the % fat, % fat free mass, fat mas, fat free mass, body mass, body volume, body density and thoracic gas volume. I was pleased because the numbers were lower than my home scale (which is better than the other way round!) but it's pretty close. DH's were wildly off. He's a whisker shy of 6'3, 179lbs with a 34" waist and it claims he has 50lbs of fat mass. I can't pinch an inch on him and I can get my thumb and forefinger around his ankles and wrists, legs are skin and bone so I don't know where he can lose it from.

Mine came out at 37% BF (63% fat free mass) with a fat mass of 67.63lbs and I am WAY porkier than DH. I know I'm muscular by build because I had 35 years of sports before I became a couch potato, but it seems odd that they should be similar numbers for almost opposite body types.

After the bod pod it was in to the VO2max test (like a breathing mask that buzzes when you breathe out and hisses when you breathe in) to get resting metabolic rate (which came out at 1604 to my calculated 1600 from an online calculator based on age/height/weight/resting heart rate). The nutrition tech was interested in IP but very concerned that it is too few carbs. I tried to explain that the body makes up for the difference between intake and RMR by burning body fat, but he seemed unable to grasp the fact that it's in the same family as the Atkins, but without the high fat.

So, on Friday we have to attend a class called Upping Your Metabolism to get our results. They will also look at optimal exercise programs to help us reduce body fat and increase lean tissue for our stated goals. There is also the offer of a dietary plan (admittedly using their choice of diet). They also appear open to letting us stay on the IP hybrid (alts and minor cheats) diet . The only proviso they have is that we get a full blood panel done to see where our stats are now so they have a benchmark against which to compare future results. Now we are locked into the program they will repeat it every 30 days. In order to help him gauge what IP really is, I photographed six of the IP packs' nutritional information so he can see for himself what the micro nutrients are.

Unfortunately, it's on another run day. Looking forward to not feeling rushed when I run (I may actually try this one outside if the weather is back to the high 60s like Monday).

Last edited by Briael; 01-21-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #60  

So funny about your "motivators" 'round the track! Whatever works, right?!

Wow -- so this whole bod pod analysis sounds quite thorough. Lots of info (though, given all your knowledge and wisdom on these threads, I bet you of all people will know what to do with that info!) I wonder how the accuracy of the BCA machine at my clinic compares. Lots of numbers come out of that thing too, but I am only focused enough to pay attention to a few of them (e.g., no clue what to do with base metabolic rate!). So is this at a gym? Can't wait to hear how Friday goes!