Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #1  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Default Modifying clothes to smaller sizes

I am one of those people who can't let go of favourite clothes. I have always been heavy on the crotch and thigh seams on pants and they often end up with holes that render them unwearable but they are SO comfortable that I just can't part with them.

I had the idea that I may be able to use them as a template for cutting down others of similar material, but I am a little daunted by making elasticated waistbands inside the cloth. The material looks gathered, but not stitched to the elastic. I suspect I may have to remove the waistband first?

I have a lot of 3X (the wide-leg straight variety) that I would like to make smaller and change the shape so I'm wondering if anyone with experience has any tips for me.

My mother-in-law passed me her "old" machine (which is WAY fancier than anything I used in the 35+ years ago needlework classes at school) so I feel like I really should be making use of it and I would really benefit from having NOT to go out and buy a new wardrobe of clothes.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

If you just need to make the waist smaller by an inch or two max - you can cut a slit vertically on the inside of the waistband and pull out the elastic from the casing after cutting the elastic through vertically. Then cut the amount you want to take off the one end of the elastic, and re-feed it through the hole in the casing, leaving each end sticking out of the hole. Overlap the elastic ends and stitch through them (NOT THROUGH THE WAISTBAND CASING, THOUGH). Pull on the waistband until the elastic disappears inside the casing then handstitch the open hole in the inside waistband and you're done.

If you need to actually re-make the whole waist/hip area smaller, unpick the waistband and open it up, cut everything to size and re-stitch the waistband to the main pant leaving an opening of about an inch in the waistband/pant seam. Feed the proper sized elastic through the casing as above, overlap the ends outside of the casing, stitch, then pull on the waistband till it disappears into the waist casing. Hand stitch the remaining opening, and you are done.

Hope this helps. If there is quite a size difference you may just have to get a new pair as the shape and angle of the crotch area changes with the sizes.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #3  
IP Started 9/29/2014

S/C/G: 215/194/155

Height: 5.5

I have no idea, but feel your pain! I hate buying jeans, but from my thighs rubbing together, it wears thin.

In my previous time of losing weight, I just took what I wanted altered to the seamstress and paid them . . . it wasn't too expensive and much more convenient than me trying to do. A seamstress I am not!
Pinky2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

I'm not a seamstress but it was pretty cheap to have a couple dresses taken on each side. Pants may be harder. May be quicker to go to second hand store and see if you can get pants there.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #5  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Thanks for all the replies. Because I have a 16" difference between waist and hips I tend to prefer the elasticated waist wide-leg but tapering to just on the ankle pants.

I have three of the same type/make of linen crop pants in three different sizes (3X, 2X, XL) so I would probably use those as a template for how I want the legs on three 3X pocketed, way-too-big waists and way too wide legged.

I suspect I'll have to take Liana's advice and remove the waistbands, alter the crotch and leg shapes and sew them back. Wish me luck, never been this adventurous with a sewing machine before. It's as much as I can do to run it in a straight line.

Last edited by Briael; 10-22-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #6  

Before you alter the crotch/rise, have someone pin you in and use marking chalk or similar to get your sew lines. Unless you know how to use a plastic tailoring template for slope or you may be unpleasantly surprised with an awkward fit, since you can't just move every seam over so many inches and cut accordingly. I hope it works out well for you!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #7  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Oh gawd, Liana ... you're making it sound so technical that I'm getting worried!

I thought I could just unpick the existing pants that I love (but have massive holes on the inner thigh) and use some thick paper to make a pattern to get the rise correct.

Is it possible to take in from the outside if the crotch fits but the outside is too baggy?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 328.4/221.0/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
Oh gawd, Liana ... you're making it sound so technical that I'm getting worried!

I thought I could just unpick the existing pants that I love (but have massive holes on the inner thigh) and use some thick paper to make a pattern to get the rise correct.

Is it possible to take in from the outside if the crotch fits but the outside is too baggy?
If you take in from the outside seam, how will that fix a hole in the inner thigh? It sounds like you aren't talking about just bringing in the side and center seams a little, you are pretty much going to have to completely reconstruct the pants. If the material is worn out in places, it really worth that effort? Why not just make a patter from the pants that do fit and go buy new fabric?

FYI, the crotch seam is lower on larger pants because of the extra distance the fat creates. To rework this, you will probably have to reposition the waist band lower to lift the whole area, otherwise your new curve will end higher than your existing fabric.
Wahoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #9  

If the pants are quite drapey, you can just bring in the inseam by the crotch and get rid of the holes near the original stitching; if they are fitted, it's more of a problem like Wahoofan said. It can't hurt to give it a try, they will probably take you through to your next transition size and if they don't work, no loss
Reworking fabric is kind of like remodeling your house, it's much more complicated than starting from scratch most of the time. But it sounds like a project worth working on if you really like them.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #10  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Thanks, I wasn't planning on modifying the favourite pants yet ... I'll save that until I'm small enough that I can safely cut out the holey parts (and yes, I already have a size XL that I can work from for them).

Just going to use them as the outline pattern (because I love the shape - elastic waist, draped fabric over the butt/hips and a nice fall) to modify three pairs of black linen pants that have never fit me properly because the waist is a 3X and my waist is only 34".

Two of them have interior deep pockets. I HATE pockets, so I wondered if I could get away with taking something in from the outside so I could lose the pockets.

I'll try and get photos to post to show you what I mean. Thanks for your help, Liana!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #11  

I've done away with pockets on pants before. If they are in the side seams I think you can figure that out yourself; if they are on an angle what I've done is topstitch over the front pocket edge stitching right through the back of the pocket, and then cut away the remaining pocket area below the stitching inside the pant. You still have the angle edge of a pocket look, but no pocket bulk inside to interfere with the line of the pant. It's fairly easy too, but I'd do that after you take in the edge seams of the pants.

Liana
Old 10-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #12  
Reboot 11 June 2018

You're a star! Thank you so much. I figured there must be a way to do it when it looks like an over-seamed pocket.

Going to get brave this weekend and find a way through. Measured up the favourite pants and the ones to be adjusted and the dimensions are identical, so I think I can resolve the first pair by just putting in a same size elastic waistband. The other two pairs have pockets so will need a bit more attention.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help, Liana!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
If you just need to make the waist smaller by an inch or two max - you can cut a slit vertically on the inside of the waistband and pull out the elastic from the casing after cutting the elastic through vertically. Then cut the amount you want to take off the one end of the elastic, and re-feed it through the hole in the casing, leaving each end sticking out of the hole. Overlap the elastic ends and stitch through them (NOT THROUGH THE WAISTBAND CASING, THOUGH). Pull on the waistband until the elastic disappears inside the casing then handstitch the open hole in the inside waistband and you're done.

If you need to actually re-make the whole waist/hip area smaller, unpick the waistband and open it up, cut everything to size and re-stitch the waistband to the main pant leaving an opening of about an inch in the waistband/pant seam. Feed the proper sized elastic through the casing as above, overlap the ends outside of the casing, stitch, then pull on the waistband till it disappears into the waist casing. Hand stitch the remaining opening, and you are done.

Hope this helps. If there is quite a size difference you may just have to get a new pair as the shape and angle of the crotch area changes with the sizes.
GREAT tips!! Thank you.
2itnow is offline   Reply With Quote