3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Daily Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/295068-ip-daily-chat.html)

lisa32989 04-23-2014 06:26 AM

IP Daily Chat

:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
Fun with Veggie Purees!
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center

For those looking for alternative products

Here is a thread with tons of info. Spend some time in it. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html
And here is a link to a chart to help you choose appropriate products

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website

IP43 04-23-2014 06:34 AM

"Every action has an equal and opposite reaction" (quote by "smart guy" Newton). It's so great to see the scale going DOWN. It would be awesome if the above scientific principle related to my bank balance going UP at the same time (reflective thought by "wise guy" -- me!) :D
Have a great day everyone!

mainemum 04-23-2014 06:55 AM

Good morning everyone! I thought I'd come back and do some more research before my very busy day begins!

I woke up with a bit of a headache, but I think that is not unusual... I'm on day 4. I had hoped to avoid it by being really diligent with my water/salt/supplements, but here it is! :) I usually treat headaches with Advil and Diet Coke, but today I'm going to try coffee for the caffeine jolt. Hope is has the same effect!

I found a great deal on asparagus yesterday, and I'm excited to use my new shaker bottles today. Focus on the good things, right???

calypso58 04-23-2014 06:58 AM

Happy Hump day everyone! Have a great day!

mainemum 04-23-2014 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IP43 (Post 4989848)
"Every action has an equal and opposite reaction" (quote by "smart guy" Newton). It's so great to see the scale going DOWN.

What a great quote - I love seeing it applied to weight loss. Great way to start the day!

alienoreo 04-23-2014 07:49 AM

Hey everyone. First, I want to thank you all for the wealth of information and support in this forum. I've learned a lot here in the last few days and I'm very encouraged by the friendly tone and candor I've seen.

Today is day 8 (actually 7 as I had my initial weigh-in last Tuesday but started the actual diet on Wednesday) and according to my scale, I'm down 7 lbs. That's pretty exciting, though I've had a headache for the last three days and I'm experiencing a lot of the typical early stage symptoms--dizzy, hot/cold, foggy, and basically a lot less sharp. However, I've only been hungry in the mornings, so that's a real bonus. I've been OP except I started substituting an EAS Advantedge shake for my snack yesterday. I don't know if that makes me non-compliant here, but I'm getting a month of IP in exchange for doing some work for the clinic) and I'm going to need to find reliable alternatives for month 2 and beyond. I can't afford the $400 per month in specialized meal replacements and supplements.

Anyway, I have about 30 pounds till goal and I'm really hoping I will be in at least phase 2 by the time my free month runs out.

Probably my biggest concerns with this diet are hair loss and the saggy/drawn look some people my age (45) seem to experience at least temporarily with rapid weight loss.

One other thing occurred to me as I've been reading through this awesome forum over the last few days. I am going to need to really cut out the restricted foods, especially the bars. I am a carb fiend and only yesterday did I realize that I have to approach this the way I did with quitting drinking (2002) and smoking (2003). I don't think I can dabble in carbs or foods that taste like the stuff I have been eating in excess for years. If I don't successfully reset my mind, I have no doubt that even a small deviance will turn into a long one.

That's not bumming me out or anything. It's just sobering--literally. Having quit literally everything in the world that I previously enjoyed but was really bad for me, I've been hanging onto junk food and bad eating habits for another 11 or 12 years. When I got sober in 2002' I weighed 130. I gained about 10 lbs every year till I hit 190, then made it down to 170, where I've stayed for several years.

So I'm finding that even though I am not hungry, this diet thing is on my mind all day long. I'm looking forward to the day when I only think about it when I'm ready to make a choice about what to eat (because I already know when I will be eating!) my coach has me doing five small meals a day and that's about four more than I'm used to, but I find it much easier to be on a schedule than to just eat when I'm hungry, because I can convince myself I'm hungry anytime!

Ruth Ann 04-23-2014 08:10 AM

Hi alienoreo - Wow - you've put a lot of thought into doing IP and your relationship with food, good for you! Sounds like you are a strong person to overcome your other battles, which bodes well for success on IP.

On your headache, try putting some salt on your hand and licking it off and then drink a big glass of water. That helped me so much with the headaches. It takes a bit for your body to adjust.

Check out the "Alternatives that will work on P1" thread. Lots of people have great success using alternative products that mimic the nutritional make up of IP products.

Some people lose hair, some don't. I didn't have a problem with it, but I have a lot of hair. With only 30 pounds to go (not minimizing 30 pounds but you won't be on IP as long as someone who starts at a higher weight) I suspect you won't have a problem, but I could be wrong.

I found that knowing what I was eating ahead of time took a lot of stress out of dieting. I still plan a week ahead and then adjust as needed. It takes some practice to get your mind to quit constantly thinking of food but it does happen over time. We are retraining our brains to think differently, won't happen overnight. Like you, I had years and years of really bad eating and it was a struggle to start with to not think about it all the time. That's where planning came in - knowing what was on the menu for the day took all the guesswork out of it.

It's not always easy to stay on plan, but it is really worth it!

drd1961 04-23-2014 08:14 AM

I have a lot of hair and it actually seemed to grow faster. My hair dresser told me to quit eating so healthy.

I am 52, and have some sagging, but not anywhere YOU can see...:) I have some pretty sound genetics in that department though.

JLUS 04-23-2014 08:30 AM

Nashua Nutrition - FREE SHIPPING

Free shipping on orders over $49 TODAY ONLY.

International clients get $15 off their order.

Code: TODAY49

shrinkingsusie 04-23-2014 08:52 AM

Good morning!

Jenny38 04-23-2014 09:01 AM

Morning ladies,

Where are all the men on the daily chat?
I have been off line for the past four days, internet issues, but all seems good for now.

IP43- LOL so true!

Alienoreo-congratulations on a great first week.

Happy Wednesday everyone. Feels good that the weekend of trying to resist food, sometimes successfully and sometimes no, is over. My body feels so much better eating on plan.
Have a good day:)

babykadea 04-23-2014 09:49 AM

I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with meat. In the sense that you maybe over eat by a few oz and were up on the scale the next morning.
Could meat throw you off? or cause no weight loss?

cschmandt 04-23-2014 09:59 AM

Good Morning All!!

I had my 5th official weigh-in yesterday. I am down a total of 24.0 pounds and down a total of 14.25 inches. Whoop Whoop!!

I am feeling good and continuing to move forward!!

Cheryl

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-st...130/174.2/.png

Hiker88 04-23-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babykadea (Post 4989991)
I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with meat. In the sense that you maybe over eat by a few oz and were up on the scale the next morning.

I've never had meat throw me off but if I eat a pickle before bed or smother my meat in hot sauce, the extra salt will sometimes result in the scale being up the next morning... its just the water retention so I don't worry about it...

I have had times with no access to a scale (or just starving) where I've gone a little over on my meat... its never made me gain.

babykadea 04-23-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

I've never had meat throw me off but if I eat a pickle before bed or smother my meat in hot sauce, the extra salt will sometimes result in the scale being up the next morning... its just the water retention so I don't worry about it...

I have had times with no access to a scale (or just starving) where I've gone a little over on my meat... its never made me gain.
Okay, thank you!

pishposhappelsauce 04-23-2014 10:48 AM

Hi everyone, happy hump day!

Second WI yesterday, came in down another 3.4 pounds. Only .4 to go 'til I hit the 10 pound mark.

Last night I made a reuben in a bowl...like the big mac in a bowl, but with half a cup of sauerkraut and sugar free boar's head corned beef with lettuce and WF Thousand Island. I'm wondering if the salt content made me feel sick, though. I wasn't feeling great this morning and strong smells made me feel really woozy. The smell of my pineapple banana drink almost made me sick. Maybe I'll try a turkey rueben in a bowl next time. How do the rest of you do with deli meat?

qtpiemels 04-23-2014 11:02 AM

Morning ladies! I've been MIA for the last few weeks. I phased off for a break up to this past weekend & I'm back on P1 as of yesterday. I am tired & foggy so I'm working my way back in to ketosis. I actually did pretty good being phased off; I lost an inch in my skinny waist while everything else was static & I only gained 3 lbs while also having my TOM arrive early! I'll call that a win! :carrot:

I'm looking forward to getting in to ONEderland sooner than later so I can say goodbye to the 200s forever.

Tisado 04-23-2014 11:23 AM

from Beck, Sabotaging Thought: I’m so stressed, I just want to eat to relax.

April 23, 2014 - Wednesday Sabotage

Sabotaging Thought: I’m so stressed, I just want to eat to relax.

Response: It’s true eating is relaxing and calming, but only in the short term! Ultimately it only makes me feel worse – if not in the moment, then the next time I get on the scale. Go do something else (drink hot tea, take a walk, listen to music, deep breathing). While these things may not be quite as effective as eating, they don’t come with ANY negative consequences.

Chrztina 04-23-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babykadea (Post 4989991)

I think ground beef (extra-lean) and ham both cause me to not lose the next day. It's probably water related, but I still pay attention to it. I've decided to limit those two to only once a week and not close to my weigh in day.

I haven't noticed the same effect with regular beef, chicken, pork tenderloin, fish or turkey.

canadjineh 04-23-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrztina (Post 4990094)
I think ground beef (extra-lean) and ham both cause me to not lose the next day. It's probably water related, but I still pay attention to it. I've decided to limit those two to only once a week and not close to my weigh in day.

I haven't noticed the same effect with regular beef, chicken, pork tenderloin, fish or turkey.

Ham I could see, due to the inherent saltiness as most hams have a lot of sodium/nitrates in them. Ground beef?? Maybe how lean - you'd be surprised how much fat there is in different grades of ground beef - and the more fat, the more your body holds on to the water to metabolize it.

Scary sort of eye opening article re: fat calories in ground beef - even extra lean. http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/lo...a/leanbeef.htm :moo:

quote: "Take lean ground beef, which, according to the USDA, is defined as containing no more than 10 percent fat, which means it's 90 percent lean, right? Yes, but there’s a catch: the percentage refers to product weight, not the percentage of calories from fat. This may be obvious to some, but many people don't know this, or at least don’t think it through. Here's what I mean:

According to the USDA, four ounces of lean ground beef (90 percent lean, 10 percent fat) is worth 199 calories, with 11g of fat. Given that there are nine calories in each gram of fat, 99 of those calories, or 49.7 percent of them, come from fat.
:fr:
Similarly, four ounces of extra-lean ground beef (95 percent lean, 5 percent fat) is worth 155 calories, with 5.6 g of fat, or 33.3 percent of its total calories." unquote

Liana

babykadea 04-23-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Now that you mention that, I think my body is the same.
Thank you!

canadjineh 04-23-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pishposhappelsauce (Post 4990032)
Hi everyone, happy hump day!

Second WI yesterday, came in down another 3.4 pounds. Only .4 to go 'til I hit the 10 pound mark.

Last night I made a reuben in a bowl. Maybe I'll try a turkey rueben in a bowl next time. How do the rest of you do with deli meat?

I use naturally smoked deli meat which means no nitrates or other additives (it is still salty - no getting away from that, not as much though) mainly because I have to be gluten free and they are labelled as such. I don't eat them very often, mainly with sauerkraut and 3 or 4 gluten free (clean oat dough based) handmade perogies. Maybe it was just too much - the saltiness of corned beef, sauerkraut, and probably the WF Thousand Island. Usually if something is labelled sugar free or low-fat they add extra salt to compensate for the 'unbalance' of flavours. Check your corned beef labels & see if there is a difference between regular & sugar-free sodium-wise.

Might be interesting.
Liana

Chrztina 04-23-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadjineh (Post 4990112)
Ham I could see, due to the inherent saltiness as most hams have a lot of sodium/nitrates in them. Ground beef?? Maybe how lean - you'd be surprised how much fat there is in different grades of ground beef - and the more fat, the more your body holds on to the water to metabolize it.

Scary sort of eye opening article re: fat calories in ground beef - even extra lean. http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/lo...a/leanbeef.htm :moo:

quote: "Take lean ground beef, which, according to the USDA, is defined as containing no more than 10 percent fat, which means it's 90 percent lean, right? Yes, but there’s a catch: the percentage refers to product weight, not the percentage of calories from fat. This may be obvious to some, but many people don't know this, or at least don’t think it through. Here's what I mean:

According to the USDA, four ounces of lean ground beef (90 percent lean, 10 percent fat) is worth 199 calories, with 11g of fat. Given that there are nine calories in each gram of fat, 99 of those calories, or 49.7 percent of them, come from fat.
:fr:
Similarly, four ounces of extra-lean ground beef (95 percent lean, 5 percent fat) is worth 155 calories, with 5.6 g of fat, or 33.3 percent of its total calories." unquote

Liana

Great information, thank you! I think I'll limit ground beef even further.

schenectady 04-23-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tisado (Post 4990072)

Response: It’s true eating is relaxing and calming, but only in the short term! Ultimately it only makes me feel worse – if not in the moment, then the next time I get on the scale. Go do something else (drink hot tea, take a walk, listen to music, deep breathing). While these things may not be quite as effective as eating, they don’t come with ANY negative consequences.

Tisado - thank you for posting this. Your response as shown is something I have experienced so many times that I should memorize this. I always feel soooo much worse afterwards, almost immediately afterwards, that I just need to remind myself of this response.

I am relaxed only for the time I am eating (and maybe not the entire time). What a short term pleasure that brings back consequences that are so much greater...anger, frustration, self recrimination, weight gain, loss of momentum......

SophieLT 04-23-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babykadea (Post 4990007)
Okay, thank you!

I have sometimes done that too. I asked the owner of the clinic and his response was "you don't get fat from eating protein". So, that made me feel better.

Tisado 04-23-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schenectady (Post 4990136)
Tisado -......I am relaxed only for the time I am eating (and maybe not the entire time). What a short term pleasure that brings back consequences that are so much greater...anger, frustration, self recrimination, weight gain, loss of momentum......

I did one week of P4 and found that I totally pigged out. Old habits returned. I will not be one of those people that can have weekly fun days. I am doing P1 for the rest of this week.

I "know" that I can't have carbs and that soft-serve yogurt from Costco but I did it anyway. I can't be trusted to make choices. Yet. When I have to follow the guidelines then I stay OP.

Still working on my mindset. Sure glad I can come here and hang out.

schenectady 04-23-2014 02:32 PM

Tisado - you expressed an issue that I know will come to haunt me when I finally get to goal and P4. That issue of undisciplined, unrestrained eating even when the intellect is screaming out "no, no, no. no".

I will read your postings to see your journey into maintenance so that when I do it P4 I will be wiser and more reflective.

On another note, I just used the MOST INCREDIBLE kitchen device to make ground turkey with zucchini 'noodles'. After reading everyone's story about bloody fingers from mandolins, I took a chance on something I found on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Brieftons-Spir...+spiral+slicer

It was fantastic. I took the zucchini, held it straight and firmly into the spiral slice, and turned and turned. (Probably got some good exercise there!) Fingers never near the blade. What marvelous noodles it made, nice and even and smooth. No jamming, breaking vegetables in place, nothing. I almost convinced myself I was eating pasta!

canadjineh 04-23-2014 02:50 PM

Schenactady: Have you tried carrot?? What happens when you get to the core of the carrot? (I'm not a big fan of strictly core taste of the carrot - sounds incredibly weird, I know :rolleyes:)

I may invest in this yet as mandolines can be scary things, lol.

schenectady 04-23-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadjineh (Post 4990227)
Schenactady: Have you tried carrot?? What happens when you get to the core of the carrot? (I'm not a big fan of strictly core taste of the carrot - sounds incredibly weird, I know :rolleyes:)

I may invest in this yet as mandolines can be scary things, lol.

As carrot is not legal for me, I have not tried it yet. But when I did the zucchini, it leaves a small cylinder of the most inner core of the vegetable which shoots out the bottom - about the size of a pencil.

Guess that might be the inner core for a carrot, too?

babykadea 04-23-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

I have sometimes done that too. I asked the owner of the clinic and his response was "you don't get fat from eating protein". So, that made me feel better.
Woo! That's a relief!

MarylandMom 04-23-2014 03:38 PM

I started IP with alternatives on March 24th. Lost 6.6 the first week, 2.3 the second week, 5.7 the third week, and 0 the fourth week. So far, I am only down about .5 for this week (I weigh on Mondays). I have found alternatives for all of the supplements and vitamins except for the Potassium so I have not taken any since starting IP. I have been unable to find Potassium Bicarbonate at any vitamin stores. My question is 2-fold:

1. Could not taking a potassium supplement be slowing my losses? I seem to be losing quite slower than many people on here, especially considering the amount of weight I am trying to lose.

2. Those of you taking alternative supplements, can you tell me where you get your Potassium Bicarbonate? I am having trouble researching online as I am not quite sure what I am looking for. 312 mg. is what is recommended, is that right?

Thanks so much!
I also posted this on the Alternatives thread.

mainemum 04-23-2014 03:58 PM

Well, the headache is gone, thanks to a huge mug of black tea. I must be having a bit of caffeine withdrawal since giving up my Diet Coke. Hope it passes soon!

Today was awesome - I passed up DONUTS, knowing that I had a drink packet with me! (If you knew how much I love fresh donuts, you would understand why I'm so proud!) I wasn't even tempted, because I'd had a filling breakfast and I knew I wasn't hungry. I just wanted something sweet, and I didn't need a donut to fill that craving. Yay me!

kontesanera 04-23-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tisado (Post 4990072)

Thanks for sharing! I have ordered my copy of the book and am eagerly awaiting its delivery.

dcs0826 04-23-2014 06:23 PM

Just had my fourth weigh in. I lost about 2 lbs, but my coach is concerned because according to the BCA measurements I am consistently losing muscle. She wanted me to add a 5th packet, but I told her I could not afford that. She has suggested me eating 8 oz of cooked protein a night (ie, weighing the protein after it's cooked instead of before). She would also like for me to add 2 oz of chicken to my lunch, in addition to my packet and vegetables. I am concerned because this is not IP protocol. I am looking for advice..I don't want to consistently lose muscle, but I don't want to gain weight from eating too much food.

ChipnDip 04-23-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarylandMom (Post 4990258)
I started IP with alternatives on March 24th. Lost 6.6 the first week, 2.3 the second week, 5.7 the third week, and 0 the fourth week. So far, I am only down about .5 for this week (I weigh on Mondays). I have found alternatives for all of the supplements and vitamins except for the Potassium so I have not taken any since starting IP. I have been unable to find Potassium Bicarbonate at any vitamin stores. My question is 2-fold:

1. Could not taking a potassium supplement be slowing my losses? I seem to be losing quite slower than many people on here, especially considering the amount of weight I am trying to lose.

2. Those of you taking alternative supplements, can you tell me where you get your Potassium Bicarbonate? I am having trouble researching online as I am not quite sure what I am looking for. 312 mg. is what is recommended, is that right?

Thanks so much!
I also posted this on the Alternatives thread.

My potassium is only 99mg. Protidiet doesn't even recommend potassium, I just recently learned. You just had three good loss weeks and you body may just be catching up. I also fin first lose the most over the weekend. I'll often see no change from Tuesday to Friday.

ChipnDip 04-23-2014 06:58 PM

Just checked my bottle and it is potassium citrate not bicarbonate.

JLUS 04-23-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcs0826 (Post 4990349)
Just had my fourth weigh in. I lost about 2 lbs, but my coach is concerned because according to the BCA measurements I am consistently losing muscle. She wanted me to add a 5th packet, but I told her I could not afford that. She has suggested me eating 8 oz of cooked protein a night (ie, weighing the protein after it's cooked instead of before). She would also like for me to add 2 oz of chicken to my lunch, in addition to my packet and vegetables. I am concerned because this is not IP protocol. I am looking for advice..I don't want to consistently lose muscle, but I don't want to gain weight from eating too much food.

Those measuring tools are notoriously not reliable so not sure you really have a problem anyway.

What about just having a couple scrambled egg whites... Not a lot of calories, extra protein and pretty inexpensive. See if that helps... You could tell her you added extra protein!

dcs0826 04-23-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLUS (Post 4990412)
Those measuring tools are notoriously not reliable so not sure you really have a problem anyway.

What about just having a couple scrambled egg whites... Not a lot of calories, extra protein and pretty inexpensive. See if that helps... You could tell her you added extra protein!

Thanks for that suggestion. I have thought about adding egg whites, but I wasnt sure how many egg whites I would need to eat to total 2 oz of protein.

JLUS 04-23-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcs0826 (Post 4990419)
Thanks for that suggestion. I have thought about adding egg whites, but I wasnt sure how many egg whites I would need to eat to total 2 oz of protein.

As Lisa posted in the 100% thread... That machine is NOT worth a lot, so not sure you really need to add any protein. I wouldn't worry too much, but I thought just a couple whites scrambled... Then you could tell your coach you added more protein. Also if you have 8oz cooked protein at dinner, you are getting more like 10 oz pre cooked weight. Did she want you yo do both?

If you are feeling hood and satisfied with your results, there is probably no reason yo make changes!

MarylandMom 04-23-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipnDip (Post 4990376)
Just checked my bottle and it is potassium citrate not bicarbonate.

Not sure what the difference is between the two? Are you using alternative supplements or are these purchased through an IP clinic?