Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #76  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieBoston View Post
Week one, looking at a 6 lbs loss. But the headaches! Any suggestions?
Add some salt to your water or put some in your hand & lick it, followed by drinking some water. We lose a lot of electrolytes with the water loss.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #77  
No where to go but up

S/C/G: 235/235/145

Height: 5.4

Hope medication and rest bring that under control quickly! Hormones are impacted when the body has an infection.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #78  

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
I had a very bad day yesterday. After my disappointing annual visit with my GP I got my lab results back. Not one bit of good news. It appears that I have a kidney infection or a UTI, they are doing a culture to see what type of bacteria grows so they can figure out how to see how to treat it. The only symptom I have been having is an ache in my lower left back that I thought was being caused either by my office chair or that I might need a new mattress. That could account for my 1 lb losses that last few weeks. Also the urinalysis showed Ketones - Negative. How is that possible? My blood sugar levels are elevated to the point that she says I am prediabetic. I don't understand this at all. Before IP I ate NO sugar. Not even fruit as I was doing very low carb and Paleo. Could the sugars that are in most of the packets and snacks be the culprit? Because of the Paleo, my cholesterol went up and this was reflected in the tests as well.

By the time I got home last night I was so upset and depressed. I made myself eat dinner and then I followed Ruth Ann's advice and just went to bed.

This morning I feel a bit better mentally, and I know this is just a hurdle that I will have to get through on this journey. As Lisa said earlier, I have to be an adult. But I really just wanted to have a child like tantrum yesterday. Being an adult is hard.

Pity party over.
Being an adult IS hard!

Get the infection cleared up and then get re-tested for all of the other things...blood sugar and cholesterol. Infections can throw test results off (as can antibiotics, so you might want to wait a few weeks after the antibiotics to re-test sugars and cholesterol). Infection may have thrown off the ketone test as well. Get a blood test for that if really concerned, but since you're losing weight, I wouldn't be that concerned.

Our bodies get more efficient at burning ketones and they stop showing up in urine. Best test for that is always the first time of the day (after sleeping all nite).

And infections (or injuries) can slow weight loss because they increase inflammation. That is water weight, not fat, so I'd avoid the scale until healed.

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-18-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #79  

Height: 5 '6

schenectady, 100 WOW! Now that's a lot of work to shed those pounds!!! what an accomplishment! I've gotten so used to my total loss being a large number that I sometimes fail to take the time to meditate on it and really pat myself on the back....

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your day in your size 14's, 10's and don't just saunter out in the world today.... maybe strut a little! LOL!

Last edited by Hiker88; 04-18-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 218/197.2/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Lakelover, I think you are incredibly brave to deal with all of these health issues at once. I am glad that chemo is not required. As the daughter of a breast cancer survivor (32 years), I am also comforted by your Dr.'s. words.
Thank you, Slipfree. I appreciate your kind words!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 202/161/130

Height: 5' 2"

How do you tell if an alternative product is restricted or not? I'm considering using alternative food but I will have to phase off because I had to sign a contract saying I wouldn't buy food from anywhere but my clinic. Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #82  

Congrats, Schenctady!

I hadn't thought about using highest weight ever. I've always "just" gone with my starting weight on IP. I was actually 275 before starting Atkins in 2002. I never maintained after that 100 lb loss (I don't even think I stayed at 175 for a day )

Even tho I plateaued, I've been consistently under that weight for quite some time. Feels good! But I want MORE! I know you do, too. We'll do it together.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #83  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLover View Post
Good morning! I thought I'd share some positive news on the doctor/diet front. My breast surgeon reviewed my post-surgical results with me yesterday (all good - I need radiation but NOT chemo!) and I told her I weighed about 20 pounds less than the first time we met. She asked what I was doing, and I explained it to her. She said she's been doing a very similar program. I told her that the office I was going to was a bit concerned about me doing this program since as the weight is lost, estrogen stored in fat will be released in my system. She replied, "You'll never get a straight answer on this - but what's worse? Having the estrogen released as you lose weight, or having it stored in the fat in your body? More women in the U.S. are going to die of heart disease than of breast cancer, so my advice is - lose the weight!" It was nice to hear her perspective and support
So glad to hear your positive news! You have such a great attitude, I'm just amazed with all you've been through how positive you remain. And it's great that your doctor is on board with your diet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
I had a very bad day yesterday. After my disappointing annual visit with my GP I got my lab results back. Not one bit of good news. It appears that I have a kidney infection or a UTI, they are doing a culture to see what type of bacteria grows so they can figure out how to see how to treat it. The only symptom I have been having is an ache in my lower left back that I thought was being caused either by my office chair or that I might need a new mattress. That could account for my 1 lb losses that last few weeks. Also the urinalysis showed Ketones - Negative. How is that possible? My blood sugar levels are elevated to the point that she says I am prediabetic. I don't understand this at all. Before IP I ate NO sugar. Not even fruit as I was doing very low carb and Paleo. Could the sugars that are in most of the packets and snacks be the culprit? Because of the Paleo, my cholesterol went up and this was reflected in the tests as well.

By the time I got home last night I was so upset and depressed. I made myself eat dinner and then I followed Ruth Ann's advice and just went to bed.

This morning I feel a bit better mentally, and I know this is just a hurdle that I will have to get through on this journey. As Lisa said earlier, I have to be an adult. But I really just wanted to have a child like tantrum yesterday. Being an adult is hard.

Pity party over.
Kidney infections are miserable! And any infection can slow down your weight loss and skew test results. Hang in there!

On the ketones - I would wait to even test again until you have the infection under control. Also, our bodies get very efficient at processing them so they could show as none during tests.

When I started IP I was pre-diabetic (1 more elevated test & the doctor was putting me on medication), my cholesterol was super elevated, etc., etc. Basically all the things you are talking about. Within about 4 months all my results showed me in normal ranges for everything. I was amazed and so was my doctor. I get blood work done regularly and it's so normal I'm boring.

Hang in there. Getting the infection cleared up is the most important thing right now. Once that is done, I'll bet you'll see a great improvement.

And if anyone had a reason last night for a pity party, you did. You should be proud of yourself for staying OP and getting through it. Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
Finally, a scale victory, albeit a small change...I finally hit my -100th pound! This was not all on IP, but it is from my highest recent weight...
Hooray! That is outstanding!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #84  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishrose View Post
How do you tell if an alternative product is restricted or not? I'm considering using alternative food but I will have to phase off because I had to sign a contract saying I wouldn't buy food from anywhere but my clinic. Thoughts?
Go to the Alternative Products thread and look at the 2nd post.
Most of the important info is there in a nutshell for you.

I do a slight adjustment to that document.
Unrestricted under 8 carbs (cals 80-160)
Restricted 8+ net carbs & under 200 cals.

However, I also keep total carbs under 40 net for the day so my restricted can't go THAT far over.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #85  
Renee~ Started IP Aug. 25

S/C/G: 186/136.4/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearciuil View Post
WI #6, and another 5lbs gone. My school pants would be falling off if I didn't wear a belt--they need to last another 25.5 weekdays!--and when I tried on my concert black last night, I was down a size in the shirt, my vest buttoned and looked fine, and my slacks are TOO BIG!
Awesome! Congrats! (And I LOVE the 25.5 weekdays!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Beck Diet Solution
Think Thin Thursday Tip: If you were driving on the highway and missed your exit, would you say, “Forget it, I’ve really blown it now” and keep driving in the wrong direction? No! You’d get off at the very next exit and turn around. If you make a mistake, immediately turn yourself around and get right back on track.
This is such a relatable quote. Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
IF you do (or want to try) alternatives mixed in with IP you can get Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free Pancake Mix (must be sugar free box) for UNRESTRICTED pancakes. I find it in the specialized baking goods area near Bob's Red Mill, GF baking and near the syrup section.
Had this for breakfast this morning. Yum!

Quote:
Finally, a scale victory, albeit a small change...I finally hit my -100th pound! This was not all on IP, but it is from my highest recent weight.

What it represents for me, though, is renewed energy and determination, something that has sometimes been lacking. I look at myself and think, WOW, 100 POUNDS. That was always an unattainable dream for me. And, of course, as long as I thought that, it remained that.

This board is responsible for a lot of that and my thanks go out to all those stalwart people who take their time to post support and ideas. Honestly, I could not have done it without that. Losing weight in todays world is not always seen from the outside as a positive thing to openly support and cheer. Thank you my cheerleaders!

My morning will be spent celebrating - relaxing and reading, listening to a 1950's jazz CD I bought myself, sipping my coffee with a touch of vanilla EAS.

Then I am going to slip into my size 14 skirt (never thought that would happen), slide on my size 10 top (goodbye to the girls there) and saunter out into the world with the names of people on this board bouncing back and forth.....my inner child is nowhere to be heard (thank you Lisa for that expression because I use it often when it comes out).

Life is good.....better when skinny......
Such positivity! Congrats on that number...wow! I love your plans for the day. And yes, life is better when skinny!! Enjoy your day!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #86  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Finally, a scale victory, albeit a small change...I finally hit my -100th pound! This was not all on IP, but it is from my highest recent weight.
I am just so happy for you I could dance! What a victory for you Schenectady. Congratulations.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #87  

Beck Diet Solution Friday Weekend Warm-up

If you have holiday meals coming up this weekend and think, “It’s not fair I can’t eat normally during the holiday,” remind yourself, “Actually, I AM eating normally for someone with my weight loss goals. And while it may be unfair I can’t eat all the food I want, it would be MUCH more unfair if I couldn’t experience the countless benefits of weight loss.”
Old 04-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #88  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Good morning folks, I'm not enjoying this stagnate week, but I'm going to guess its stress or that spring break has my routine so off my body is confused lol, maybe it's that I've been having a little of the C although I have been still going everyday. I had a slow week after the first 4 weeks, so maybe it's a pattern and I can only hope so cause I had good losses the 2 after and typical the third and 4th. Oh the body is a funny thing.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #89  
Started IP 11/13/2013

S/C/G: 185/140/128

Height: 5 2

Quote:
Finally, a scale victory, albeit a small change...I finally hit my -100th pound!

Life is good.....better when skinny......
Yay Schenectady! What an accomplishment! Have fun struttin' your stuff!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #90  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishrose View Post
They can't make you sign a contract and hold you to it, it's a free market economy. For one for all they know you just can't afford it anymore! I'm sorry but that's bull.
Closed Thread