Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #91  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Yeah Tisado!

According to my coach's scale I am exactly the same weight as last week so I will keep an eye on things and go a little slower. Best guess is my body adjusting and increased sodium. I need to learn not to stress so much (easier typed than done!).
Old 05-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #92  

Hi all

My doc is putting me in maintenance

I've found a doc who really understands thyroid function and it seems my cycling on/off of p1 isn't giving the thyroid time to heal/recover.

I'll be in maintenance and then, eventually moving to alternative p1 (actually doc prefers p2).

So, I guess if it takes me another year to lose my last weight, it'll be worth it to be healthy!

I've been having a REALLY hard time reading the daily complaints about a slow or small WL. Really. I'd like to invite those people into my world.

The scary thing for me is that being out of ketosis makes my appetite go CRAZY. Doc says this is part of poor thyroid function & I might end up having to gain a bit of weight to regain my health

I'm going to need all of you to help me thru this....

There are certainly foods I'll have to restrict b/c they cause me problems every time I eat them (portion control). I'll be gluten-free because gluten is known to increase thyroid dysfuntion. I'm going to make a list of these items and #1 will be to work up the willingness to surrender these foods.

Cheese works as a condiment for me but I have problems keeping it in the house b/c it becomes an overeaten snack.
There are others...I'll work on my list.
I hope I can share this journey with you all.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #93  
Started IP 1/29/2013

S/C/G: 194/130/145

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Hi all

I've found a doc who really understands thyroid function and it seems my cycling on/off of p1 isn't giving the thyroid time to heal/recover.

I'll be in maintenance and then, eventually moving to alternative p1 (actually doc prefers p2).

So, I guess if it takes me another year to lose my last weight, it'll be worth it to be healthy!

I've been having a REALLY hard time reading the daily complaints about a slow or small WL. Really. I'd like to invite those people into my world.

The scary thing for me is that being out of ketosis makes my appetite go CRAZY. Doc says this is part of poor thyroid function & I might end up having to gain a bit of weight to regain my health

There are certainly foods I'll have to restrict b/c they cause me problems every time I eat them (portion control). I'll be gluten-free because gluten is known to increase thyroid dysfuntion. I'm going to make a list of these items and #1 will be to work up the willingness to surrender these foods.

Cheese works as a condiment for me but I have problems keeping it in the house b/c it becomes an overeaten snack.
Good luck Lisa! You'll do great!!!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Hi all

Lisa, you are the trooper of troopers. And the teacher of teachers. We have all learned so much from your journey.

Wishing you the best of HEALTH and definitely a safer road to your goal. We are all riding in little sidecars with you. ....The better to throw confetti and a party when you decide you are where you want and need to be. Look at where you started...and where you are now...it is all most amazing!! And look at how well you understand yourself. How many get to a lower goal weight...and have not yet gotten to that point.You are well ahead of a lot of people on this, or any diet.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #95  
P4

S/C/G: 238 highest--IP197/165/165

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
... The scary thing for me is that being out of ketosis makes my appetite go CRAZY. Doc says this is part of poor thyroid function & I might end up having to gain a bit of weight to regain my health
You'll make this work. You've got a doctor with a plan to get you healthy.
Looking forward to seeing your posts.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Hi all

Hi Lisa, and welcome to the Gluten Free Maintenance world of 65x65 and myself. You need any help, call on us and we'll be there! 65 needs to keep a fairly low carb count still, while mine is usually between 100-150g/day. So we can help no matter what your circumstances.

You will enjoy Alternative P1/P2 - it's just so much less pressure, lol. Which will help with weight loss...

Keep it up, WTG!
Liana
Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Lisa

to you on your NEW ROAD to improved health and well-being.

You have made every twist and turn along the way a success, and I have no doubt you will ROCK THIS to the MAX!!

Keep us posted with your new menu and let us know what you need help with.

We are ALL here for YOU!!!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #98  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Lisa - hooray for having a plan! I'm so happy that your doctor has identified the issues and is working with you to get you healthy! Being in limbo is the pits.

You'll do great in maintenance.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #99  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi All! I'm back. I did a reboot in March, lost about 9 pounds, and gained it back in April. I was doing some performing (singing) and needed to not be on P1 or P2 - it was like running a race and I really needed the extra Carbs and some sugars. I just went a little overboard.... Still learning about my control limits.

It was a wonderful experience (anyone here know Carmina Burana?) and I vowed to get right back on P1 after the last performance and get the extra pounds off. So today I started back on P1. I Refuse to Regain the weight that I lost so I will be diligent until it is gone. I know I can do this and feel very good about it. I'm also not going to announce it to my friends or family (except here, of course, where I can get the kind of support I really need).

Also - I refuse to buy any clothes in sizes larger than the smallest that I have bought. And I bought some wonderful summer items last year, so here I come!

I'm waiting for the pool to open on May 20. Very excited about getting back into swimming! I know that will help. Right now, I need to get through this week of final exams and grading. It's always a very stressful week for me. But I've done it on P1 and I'll do it again on P1.

Lisa, good luck. You've come so far! I know it's disappointing, but just continue what you have been doing. You look great! I know you will get the support you need, as you are always so generous with support for others. Hang in there, girlfriend!

Ruth Ann, welcome to the world of maintenance! I entered it a little over a year ago and it's great! There may be a few bumps as we learn how to maintain our new bodies, but it's wonderful! Yay!

Hi 64, Maile, Tisado and everyone!

Has Ishbel had the baby yet?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #100  

Thanks for your votes of confidence. The frustrating thing is not being at the goal I was looking for. I'm not giving up on it but we'll get my health back in line first. I may just have to live 20 lbs overweight at this point. It sure is better than 110 overweight!

I'm still forumulating the plan but it will consist of mainly P1 veggies (both select and occasional - and more than 4 c/day), salad as before, protein with lunch and dinner, some of my favorite IP p1 items, and a bit more carbs at breakfast. It'll be mostly grain-free, soy/gluten-free. Carbs most days will come from pumpkin/winter squash, sweet potato, a few berries, and dairy.

Cruciferous veggies and other goitergens will need to be cooked so there goes my raw spinach smoothies. I LOVE these but I love me more. Maybe I'll need to develop a taste for lettuce in my smoothies instead of spinach

I'm still formulating tomorrow's meal plan.

I'm looking at to have an egg and a gluten-free pancake tomorrow for breakfast (searching thru my paleo recipes for one that uses butternut squash or sweet potatoes - both of which I just got in my CSA share)

Lunch will be a salad with pulled pork and some celery (main meal at lunch tomorrow due to a social event with "heavy hors d'oeuvres" at dinner time. I'll probably end up with a shake and veggies for that event and another shake and veggies at nite.

I'm also considering some homemade yogurt with blueberries at some point.

I need to plug everything into MFP so right now I'm just brainstorming.

I'm DETERMINED not to gain weight, although my doc says I should be willing to gain "some" temporarily. I just need my clothes to fit -especially since I'm not going "down" more in the near future.

Argh! Thanks for wishing me luck!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #101  

Quote:
Thanks for your votes of confidence. The frustrating thing is not being at the goal I was looking for. I'm not giving up on it but we'll get my health back in line first. I may just have to live 20 lbs overweight at this point. It sure is better than 110 overweight!

I'm still forumulating the plan but it will consist of mainly P1 veggies (both select and occasional - and more than 4 c/day), salad as before, protein with lunch and dinner, some of my favorite IP p1 items, and a bit more carbs at breakfast. It'll be mostly grain-free, soy/gluten-free. Carbs most days will come from pumpkin/winter squash, sweet potato, a few berries, and dairy.

Cruciferous veggies and other goitergens will need to be cooked so there goes my raw spinach smoothies. I LOVE these but I love me more. Maybe I'll need to develop a taste for lettuce in my smoothies instead of spinach

I'm still formulating tomorrow's meal plan.

I'm looking at to have an egg and a gluten-free pancake tomorrow for breakfast (searching thru my paleo recipes for one that uses butternut squash or sweet potatoes - both of which I just got in my CSA share)
1c pumpkin or squash, 1 egg and 2 whites, 2 Tbs almond flour, dash pumpkin pie spice 1 tbs maple syrup , 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tbs butter melted, some almond milk to make pouring consistency
This makes enough pancakes for 2 adults or 3 little girls....You can actually play around with the amounts of the ingredients to get consistency and texture and nutritional make up you want . It's almost bullet proof.
Depends on what I have!

J

Lunch will be a salad with pulled pork and some celery (main meal at lunch tomorrow due to a social event with "heavy hors d'oeuvres" at dinner time. I'll probably end up with a shake and veggies for that event and another shake and veggies at nite.

I'm also considering some homemade yogurt with blueberries at some point.

I need to plug everything into MFP so right now I'm just brainstorming.

I'm DETERMINED not to gain weight, although my doc says I should be willing to gain "some" temporarily. I just need my clothes to fit -especially since I'm not going "down" more in the near future.

Argh! Thanks for wishing me luck!
Good luck X 2
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #102  

Hi all. So good to see all of you.

Welcome Ruthann. You are doing awesome (as usual) and will get in the groove of maintenance. It's been almost a year and a half for me and I still find myself a few up and down. Like the others have said, sodium really plays a part in the bloat and gain not to mention the newly added carbs. I find it best to check in with the scale and let it tell me what to do.

Hello Joysh. Good to see you back on. I too, continue to find myself up/down the same 5lbs and have recently came to accept if you will (its taken me almost a year and a half) that at some points during the week, I will be at the low range and others I will be more on the high end. Truly I gain fluctuate 5lbs so easily that I found myself really becoming obsessed to always see 130...even doing phase 1 days when I was not eating in a way that would necessitate the day prior. Of course I wasn't gaining 5lbs in a day after eating a heavy sodium meal! But, I became a bit too focused on the number. Now, I am learning that so long as I am within my range, it's all good.

Hello Maile, 65x65. How are you both? Ready for summer?

Lisa, I was just thinking about you on my drive to work this morning and wondering how you are doing. I am happy to hear you have a doctor who understands the thyroid function and how to get you feeling better. In the meantime, I hope you are celebrating all your success thus far. You have really done a tremendous amount of work and inspired so many people. I hope you know we all think you are the cats meow.

Really happy its Friday tomorrow and so looking forward to the weekend. my dad is coming to visit from out of state and its just energizing for me when he comes to town. Denver has been warming up and I think we will do a lot of bike riding, BBQing (healthy stuff), gardening, and visiting. Its such a treat when loved ones come to stay. I found out on Tuesday he would be visiting and it has propelled me though the week.

Cheers!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #103  

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
Hi all. So good to see all of you.

Welcome Ruthann. You are doing awesome (as usual) and will get in the groove of maintenance. It's been almost a year and a half for me and I still find myself a few up and down. Like the others have said, sodium really plays a part in the bloat and gain not to mention the newly added carbs. I find it best to check in with the scale and let it tell me what to do.

Hello Joysh. Good to see you back on. I too, continue to find myself up/down the same 5lbs and have recently came to accept if you will (its taken me almost a year and a half) that at some points during the week, I will be at the low range and others I will be more on the high end. Truly I gain fluctuate 5lbs so easily that I found myself really becoming obsessed to always see 130...even doing phase 1 days when I was not eating in a way that would necessitate the day prior. Of course I wasn't gaining 5lbs in a day after eating a heavy sodium meal! But, I became a bit too focused on the number. Now, I am learning that so long as I am within my range, it's all good.

Hello Maile, 65x65. How are you both? Ready for summer?

Lisa, I was just thinking about you on my drive to work this morning and wondering how you are doing. I am happy to hear you have a doctor who understands the thyroid function and how to get you feeling better. In the meantime, I hope you are celebrating all your success thus far. You have really done a tremendous amount of work and inspired so many people. I hope you know we all think you are the cats meow.

Really happy its Friday tomorrow and so looking forward to the weekend. my dad is coming to visit from out of state and its just energizing for me when he comes to town. Denver has been warming up and I think we will do a lot of bike riding, BBQing (healthy stuff), gardening, and visiting. Its such a treat when loved ones come to stay. I found out on Tuesday he would be visiting and it has propelled me though the week.

Cheers!
Hi to you as well...and happy long lost summer...? Well..spring would be nice LOL...we are back in the 50s here...but there is hope for the weekend! Even at 50+degrees...there is no snow so at least can get outside for a walk. Even picking up branches and winter debris from the yard was a real treat.

Weight/Maintenance: Yes-I also play within a weight range...usually 4-6 lbs...and what I eat determines what the scale says to me. Sugar is evil...!!!....and I don't miss it, so that is good. I SOO avoid it as I do not want those cravings. Experienced that at Christmas....and it is SCAREY.. Wine would be easy to get into the habit of again...so I go easy...and say "NO THX" first off...then if the event goes on...or it is really special...allow myself after a second or third offer to say "Sure...I'll have a glass now"...but sometimes I still say no! It feels good to be that in control! I am SURE that could be worse than the sugar if I am not insisting to be the boss of it. I eat a combo of P2-3 most of the time, and make sure the protein is still the main event followed by the veggies/salads. I think that is what we were supposed to learn after the whole process ...??? It's not a bad way to eat either! Tues night I had a P1 steak dinner out with friends...one had a burger and fries...two had huge salads packed with cheese, sugared pecans and dried cranberries and some creamy dressing...with a few pieces of buffalo chicken tenders..(breaded of course) on top. I'm sure I had the lowest calorie meal...was more than satisfied and took 1/2 of my 12 oz steak and vegetables home. One of the women said..how could I stay thin "..eating such a heavy meal"!! I had to LOL because her dinner was definitely way bad...and mine was so NOT bad! It is so good to hear other maintainers experience similar up and down fluctuations and see it after many of the same foods as well.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #104  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I am so glad I popped in today and could see your post Lisa. I want to add my hugs and support along with the other maintainers. You have never been a whiner/complainer. I appreciate that so much and it has helped me to strive for that same attitude. I have to admit I do gripe to myself at times. I know this journey has lasted much longer for you than others. It is refreshing to see you maintain a positive outlook throughout. As you have often reiterated, this is a life change and so there really is no deadline to meeting your goals, because you have already made that life change, which is really the ultimate goal.

I like many others have found that maintenance is a lot of work at times and continued vigilance. I recently learned just how hard it is on my body to return to my old eating habits. During a recent road trip I just went hog wild, eating so many bad foods; namely refined carby foods like donuts, breads, pastas! The more I ate, the more I craved! I started getting bloaty and my injury prone ankle swelled up. I could feel my mid section expanding. It was awful. I was up 7 pounds in a week! Completely self inflicted!

So, Monday I started P1 again and am down 4lbs. Even though I am starting to feel better I still have pain in my joints, abdomen, back and swelling. I know eating this stuff was not good for me in the past, but I seem to be so much more sensitive to it now. I do not want to continue a cycle of constantly doing P1, because I really want to get away from processed foods. So, I am recommitting to those life changes I know in my heart are required for me.

Thanks for the updates Maile. I always feel as though you speak to the same things we all struggle with and show that we can do this.

Ruth Ann: so proud of you for hitting maintenance! What a joy to see you become so successful and thanks for sharing your insights. Even when your answers on the other threads are not to questions I ask, I find it is helpful for me to read them, and I know it must be true for others.

65: the winter has been long and Spring still seems elusive. We are hoping for a nice day tomorrow and again on Mother's Day. The rain we received yesterday was good for the crops and my yard, but gloomy weather sure makes me cranky.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #105  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Hi all: I've been away from the boards a bit - it feels like a lot of check ins the last couple of days. Having an active Maintenance board is wonderful.

Lisa: Glad you have a good doc but eesch, I'm so sorry your path is so bumpy/challenging. you truly have helped so many of us - if we can help you at all, we're all here. (I somehow think you'll still be leading the charge, no matter what path you're taking)

Ruth Ann: It does take a little time to sort out what works but I know you'll rock this. I still have those days where I think ... omg... i'm going to gain it all back. But then that's not what happens and I shock myself. (and yes, I still track my food, even the fun days, in MFP...it just helps me understand the fluctuations and also helps me build that mental muscle on when I can and can't have a fun day/meal/drink)

Hi Maile, 65, Mars, DAK, joysh, Liana, eandc, Laurie and anyone else I may have missed. Happy Thursday!

I'm still doing ok with this maintenance thing. It seems to work. Yay! I have even been able to experiment a bit with fun meals/days/drinks and as long as I don't overdo and keep some exercise in the mix... things stay within 2-3 pounds. (Now, of course I am still dealing with the emotion of seeing the scale go up at all, and wanting it not to do that, but in all, things are good)

Yesterday I had a weird thing happen - after a long brisk evening walk I felt a little light headed and nauseous. Worked out that I hadn't had enough protein earlier in the day so I scarfed down an IP bar and felt much better. I didn't have my brought-from-home salad/protein for lunch and sometimes it is hard to get enough protein eating out. I learned yesterday that I really do need the protein. Need to think about making sure I have a good protein snack handy.

Snacks have been the hardest thing for me to sort out. Portable, not carby, with protein... and I love peanut/almond butter too much. I hate to keep relying on the IP bars but they do they trick. (The 100 cal pack of almonds work too but I'd like to figure out some variety)

It's great "seeing" all of you maintainers!

Last edited by vachinyc; 05-08-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Closed Thread