Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #31  

Default very new too ip!!!

So I just finished my first week yesterday. . I was very excited to know I lost 5 lbs but then my couch said im not in fat burning mood and ask if I had eaten a carb but I havent cheated at all not even q piece of gum!!! I felt as if he hurried me out can someone tell me why im not in fat burning mood and what doea that mean?? Thanks in advance
Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #32  
IP Start 2/5/13

S/C/G: 315/ip292/see ticker/145

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlucat View Post
So I just finished my first week yesterday. . I was very excited to know I lost 5 lbs but then my couch said im not in fat burning mood and ask if I had eaten a carb but I havent cheated at all not even q piece of gum!!! I felt as if he hurried me out can someone tell me why im not in fat burning mood and what doea that mean?? Thanks in advance
The topmost answer that comes to me is that the majority of weight loss for the first week is probably water. It takes time (the first few days of the diet) for the body to switch to calling on fat stores for energy when it is used to calling up on stored glycogen for energy. When you deplete your glycogen, a lot of stored water goes with it. Then the fat burning kicks in, and as long as you don't replenish your glycogen by eating more carbs than the plan calls for, your body will continually get it's energy from fat in what is known as ketosis.

Other than that you would have to ask him for particulars about exactly what he meant, and sorry you got hurried out.

And great, great job on the 5 pounds! You are on your way!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #33  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I think it is interesting to hear that some clinics "set" goal weights.
My coach told me my goal weight was totally up to me (as long as it was within a healthy range)
My coach said the same thing Lisa. I picked 150 because I just couldn't imagine weighing that little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheEvening View Post
I've become scale obsessed, I weigh everyday. My WI are on Saturdays and I haven't gone down in weigh since last Saturday. I have been spotting, seems odd to me and think this might be the culprit. But, I'm just so uncertain. I did eat jicama for the first time. Could it be that?
I seriously doubt the jicama has anything to do with it. Hormonal changes while on this diet are normal and it messes with your TOM sometimes. I hope your coach told you that it can also make your birth control less effective so use a back up method if you'd rather not get pregnant.

And, if the scale is going to stress you out then quit weighing everyday and just use your weekly weigh in. There are a ton of reasons your weight won't go down for a few days - your body playing "catch up": TOM ; sodium intake; stress; the Big C; etc., etc. Just stick to the plan and the weight will come off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlucat View Post
I think your coach is talking about ketosis when he talks about fat burning mode. Did he test for ketosis? Seriously, if you are sticking to the sheet you will get into ketosis. You might call or email your coach and ask him - you are paying a lot of money for his coaching and he should be taking the time with you to make sure you are informed (although the people here many times are much more informed than the coaches!).
Old 02-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #34  

Height: 5'2 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post

I seriously doubt the jicama has anything to do with it. Hormonal changes while on this diet are normal and it messes with your TOM sometimes. I hope your coach told you that it can also make your birth control less effective so use a back up method if you'd rather not get pregnant.

And, if the scale is going to stress you out then quit weighing everyday and just use your weekly weigh in. There are a ton of reasons your weight won't go down for a few days - your body playing "catch up": TOM ; sodium intake; stress; the Big C; etc., etc. Just stick to the plan and the weight will come off.
I keep forget how important the measuring tape is too! Thanks for the info and reassurance. This is the longest I have gone without cheating too. Feel good!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 225/208/170

Height: 5'9"

Susanlucat-- I had the same experience and was told to eat a 4th packet to add more protein. It did get better the following week and my 3rd weigh in was cancelled today because of the Snow... I'll be going Saturday. I have 139lbs of lean mass and apparently about 105 is average for a lady-- I don't mind loosing some of my lean mass as long as I loose fat too-- I was an aggressive college athlete and I don't need to bench press or squat more than everyone any more Good luck, stick to the plan. It will pay off there are so many success stories around here.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPMaryD View Post
Susanlucat-- I had the same experience and was told to eat a 4th packet to add more protein. It did get better the following week and my 3rd weigh in was cancelled today because of the Snow... I'll be going Saturday. I have 139lbs of lean mass and apparently about 105 is average for a lady-- I don't mind loosing some of my lean mass as long as I loose fat too-- I was an aggressive college athlete and I don't need to bench press or squat more than everyone any more Good luck, stick to the plan. It will pay off there are so many success stories around here.
Just remember, those devices are not accurate.

Also, you wouldn't want to lose muscle because it burns more calories than fat so you'll want to keep your muscle for maintenance!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #37  
Carb Addict

S/C/G: 290/290/180

Had a great evening last night reviewing the plan with a good friend of mine and to make an action plan for us to stay on track. Made a fantastic dinner of crispy chicken tenders and some pasta with rotini and red pepper sauce. Pretty dang good I say. I have enough for dinner tonight with some other type of protein that my DH can make me. I am getting a cortisone shot in my wrist this afternoon and hope that helps my issues out so i will be relying on dh to cook and take care of baby.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems70508 View Post
Interesting point. I had assumed my switch was my culprit but I'll have to monitor other things as well.
IP products have no magic. Alts are just as good, no matter what IP will tell you
The factors for slowdowns over any given week are too numerous to count or to measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPMaryD View Post
Remember that lean mass is EVERYTHING except fat: bone, ligaments, tendons, blood, blood vessels, water, muscle, internal organs, skin, everything! You will lose some lean mass. We don't need as much hydration or skin as we shrink, nor do we need some of the smaller blood vessels.

But...those bioimedence scales only estimate. They have no way of accurately measuring fat, hydration, lean mass. View the info with a grain of salt.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #39  
IP Start 2/5/13

S/C/G: 315/ip292/see ticker/145

Height: 5ft 5in

Thanks for posting everyone. I am here for my daily dose of encouragement and this site never lets me down!

I have been wanting to write a little about my "story" over the past few months but just haven't gotten around to it so I am going to get to it now. Partly to share my experience hoping it might help someone and partly because writing to me is very therapeutic. I hope in advance it isn't too long, but it might be!

So, back in September I decided to go on vacation to a fitness resort in Utah, mainly to meet up with old friends there as a reunion. They (the resort) supply a very healthy diet so I was going to take a planned break from IP which would last about 2 weeks and which I felt wouldn't derail me.

When I returned from my vacation I hadn't had a WI at the clinic in so long that I decided to make a break from them and switch to alternatives. I stuck like glue and continued to lose about 5 more pounds and was doing quite well.

I am going to try and summarize what happened next. I think I became a little confident and started having little cheats. Pretty soon, I was on plan 90% and still losing, then I drifted down to 80% and was still doing well. The percentage started to slip little by little, and although I quit losing weight, I was not gaining weight either. I decided I was okay with that (A bad bad move in hindsight) More time goes by and I start to realize for sure I am out of ketosis because the scale is showing a gain of 5 to 10 pounds, but I reason it's only water weight with the increased carb intake, right? It's not fat! But with being out of ketosis, you guessed it, my carb addiction is FULL BLOWN out of control. You know, the kind of addiction where it's 8:30 pm, its very cold outside, the weather and roads are horrible, you aren't hungry, yet you want to go thru some drive through somewhere.

So, without needing to give too many more details, you have probably by now guessed I made it down to 0%! (The only remaining quality I had from my IP diet is I still ate all of my vegetables!) By this time I know, I have to have my coach back and the accountability of a WI.

My WI at the clinic 3 weeks ago showed I had gained back 19 pounds! All I could say was, okay, I stopped this trend, get going again! The most productive thing I can do is to take this as a wonderful learning experience and move forward. I learned that I need to prepare for maintenance when the time comes. I learned that my obesity, at whatever weight I am, will always be a chronic issue that I will need to manage. In spite of all the talk about your pancreas being reset which I don't totally understand, mine will always be broken!

Wow, I am a slow typer! I need to run off so I will have to come back later as I have a little more I would like to say but I just wanted to put this out there as an encouragement to everyone to keep going, and that goofing around a little can (and might) go south very fast!

Thank you for listening and have a great OP IP day!

Last edited by brelo; 02-13-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #40  

brelo: Thanks so much for sharing your story.
When I read stories like this, I know why I believe as I do.

It is so easy to get off track! I have a lifetime of eating badly, using food as a "substance", and being overweight, and losing/regaining to combat. Now I get to plan for continued health and wellness.

This is why I made the choices I made on IP and why I want to make sure newcomers know how to follow the plan. Straying too far just makes everything harder!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #41  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
As always, good advice Lisa! Stashed packets have saved my behind more than once when I've forgotten the planned ones. Or when I poured an entire packet of wildberry yogurt mix on my pants.

Hooray for good coaches! I'm lucky too - my coach is awesome too. It really helps.

Yeah for the scale going down!
OMG! You are 3 lbs from your goal! Amazing! WTG!!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #42  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
OMG! You are 3 lbs from your goal! Amazing! WTG!!!!
Thanks dak! I am pretty amazed myself!

I'm hoping to make it to 150 before our anniversary weekend the end of this month!

Last edited by Ruth Ann; 02-13-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #43  
Carb Addict

S/C/G: 290/290/180

And since I come here for encouragement as well as accountability, and a hand slapping every once in a while. I let my mind wander and ate 4 Fritos before I knew it. I don't know why I did it... literally i was half way swallowing them and then freaked out. That is how i got in the position I am in. I didn't eat thousands of calories a day to get to this weight... i was lucky to make over a thousand on most days... but i either didn't eat or absentmindedly munched...

Ok confession over. Water drunk... on to the next meal.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Wink I feel "lighter"

I have felt lighter today. I am doing a 7 day rapid detox. I started Monday. I had no idea how long it takes to start to feel it working. I thought by Tuesday afternoon this is not going to work. BUT by Tuesday evening it started to work and then Wed and today. I am drinking all my water (I always do I guess) BUT this has helped with the big "C" . I no longer have that LOL. My body just feels "clean" and this is day 4.
My scale did not move too much which is fine, I WI tomorrow, BUT the fact that I feel "clean" I do not want to go in and dirty up my clean self again. So I am going to try hard as rain to keep it clean eating for me.

Maybe this is the push I need to behave on this diet LOL.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #45  
Started IP 12/26/13

S/C/G: 205.6/171.2/145

Just came back from my WI. I lost 3.8 pounds this week, which feels pretty darn good. Lost a few inches, an inch from my hips, but not a lot there...the new coach still measures kind of weird. At least compared to before. Also, she did say that for sure I can't buy individual packets anymore. Kind of bummed about that since I've been doing it all along. I don't want to eat the same 3 things everyday, so I ended up buying 5 boxes (especially with traveling this week). I'll continue to buy extras to "stock up" and allow for some variety. She did say that I could bring in extra packets I don't want and trade for individual ones she has...which is A LOT. Crazy that you just can't do it that way. Create your own menu each week. I get the whole "FDA" thing, just annoying. Oh...and she did order the BBQ Soy Crisps and they are supposed to be in later today, so I'll go back and get those when they're in. Funny...she knew nothing about them when I asked her this week, but all of a sudden she has them coming.

Anyway...doing a happy dance since I busted through the "20 pound lost" mark after hovering around it for the last few weeks.

Have a GREAT day everyone!!
Closed Thread