Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #1  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

Default Losing weight, not many inches

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm super happy with my weight loss, but I feel like my inches lossed are too low...would exercise affect this? I've been doing 30 min of cardio, fairly intensive, about 3 days a week. Any insight is appreciated!
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I have found it's either both or one or the other. So just keep going. You'll hit a more unfortunate point (for me) where the inches go but the scale moves in strange ways.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #3  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

There's geometry involved here. Inches should go faster as you go along, especially if you're only measuring the big parts (waist, hips, etc). There's just more volume (more poundage) in one inch around when you're heaviest, so it takes more pounds lost to result in an inch lost when we're at our highest weights and, as Ian notices, when we're smaller, we should see faster results at the inch level than the pound level.

Hang in there! Eventually, pounds have to add up to inches.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #4  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Thank you. That makes me feel better. My coach measures chest, waist, hips, 1 thigh, 1 arm. This is why they say not to compare your progress to someone else I suppose.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 177.6/165.4/140

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex_VVV View Post
There's geometry involved here. Inches should go faster as you go along, especially if you're only measuring the big parts (waist, hips, etc). There's just more volume (more poundage) in one inch around when you're heaviest, so it takes more pounds lost to result in an inch lost when we're at our highest weights and, as Ian notices, when we're smaller, we should see faster results at the inch level than the pound level.

Hang in there! Eventually, pounds have to add up to inches.
Great point!!!!!
DJ72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 181.5/170/140

Height: 5' 4.5"

Meeshellee,
I think I lost 20lbs before my hips lost an inch (although I lost quite a bit elsewhere). It was very discouraging, but once it finally budged, it continued to do so.

Last edited by Snarfler; 10-16-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Snarfler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 214.4/170/165

Height: 5'6"

I lost 5 inches from my chest (sad hubby!) and only one of my hips, then all of sudden chest stabilized an hips starte dropping. I think it just takes time for the body to adjust to the weight loss. Keep moving an you'll be foxy soon!
MidgieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #8  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Thank you all for sharing. Had weigh in today. Actually GAINED 2 inches? But lost almost 3 lbs. sometimes I wonder if she's measuring the same way each time. Not really an exact science. I will keep my fingers crossed that inches will drop soon.