Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/159/120

Height: 5 foot

Unhappy Getting discouraged - need help!

I have been on IP for 9 weeks and have lost 15 pounds. I meet with my counselor and she hasn't given my any answers to why I am only loosing a pound a week if that. I am a farm girl age 47 and very active with livestock and my seven kids. I am very strict with my diet and don't even eat the IP snacks. I measure my protein and I have only been eating Romain lettuce, cucumbers, and celery for the last two weeks. I drink more water then is recommended. So why am I not loosing? Do I need more protein? Do I need to do something different? I am from Wyoming and there is only one counselor in this area and she comes from 100 miles away once a week. Any suggestions, encouragement, ideas? I love this diet - and I so want it to work for me. I need to loose 35 more pounds.
PurtyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/signature/150

Height: 5'4"

I would say do not miss any packets, your body needs those. How are you doing on salt intake?
Misstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurtyLady View Post
I have been on IP for 9 weeks and have lost 15 pounds. I meet with my counselor and she hasn't given my any answers to why I am only loosing a pound a week if that. I am a farm girl age 47 and very active with livestock and my seven kids. I am very strict with my diet and don't even eat the IP snacks. I measure my protein and I have only been eating Romain lettuce, cucumbers, and celery for the last two weeks. I drink more water then is recommended. So why am I not loosing? Do I need more protein? Do I need to do something different? I am from Wyoming and there is only one counselor in this area and she comes from 100 miles away once a week. Any suggestions, encouragement, ideas? I love this diet - and I so want it to work for me. I need to loose 35 more pounds.
My opinion? You need to be eating more.
Lettuce, cucumbers and celery are the lowest calorie vegetables on the list.
I have horses and found that on active days when I ride, I have to eat at least 4 packets, or add in some eggs. IP is very low calorie, and I think for some people, who have an active lifestyle, your body goes into starvation mode. I have been tracking my calories/fat/protein on myfatsecret.com and found since I increased my daily calories to over 1000, I feel much better and am losing at the same rate (1-2 pounds/week)
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Default What a challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurtyLady View Post
Oh, PurtyLady, how frustrating that must be for you. My heart aches at the struggle you are facing.

I do not have any answers and I am not a veteran so anything I say would be just repeating what I have read. But I think that maybe what was said above is correct that if you curtail the calories and protein too far, your body may indeed be going into 'starvation' mode. I have read some recommend that you go have a good juicy steak with a bit of fat to kickstart it back.

Do not know if that is true, but if you are still within the confines of IP, I can't see why not try going to the higher edge for a bit. It may be worth a try and see what happens. You are so active that going up seems logical.

I wish I had more sage advice than that. I know that the days that I eat SO perfectly and on the low end are NOT the times I see the weight go flying off, so maybe a change is on order?
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Restart: 233/ 214/ 170

Height: 5'1

When you say you are not eating snacks - do you mean restricted packets? Or are you skipping the 3rd packet at night? Skipping the third packet will prevent weight loss. Your body will think it is starving and hold on to everything. I also know that i personally slow down when i'm not drinking enough water. Partly because things get backed up and partly because the fat is flush out in your urine.

One more item to consider, you may be having constipation or hormonal fluctuations. If you hang in there things will right themselves. I have a lot more weight to lose than you do and I've been very faithful on IP. Look at my weight loss numbers below my signature. I have to hold on to faith for like 3 weeks every month that something will eventually show up. It's not as much as i would like but the needle keeps moving in the right direction.
Figgypudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

First of all, ONLY 15 lbs in 9 weeks is not ONLY. In average it is more than 1 lb/week. Second, you are not grossly overweight, so you will not loose at the promised rate of up to 3-4 lbs/week. You need to be realistic. 1lb of fat loss is a caloric deficit of 3500 calories. Since your metabolic rate is lower than that of a 300 lbs person, your daily deficit is also lower. Even IP will not change that. Third, if you are physically very active, be careful that you do not cut your calories to a point where your body will cannibalize muscle for energy. Because that muscle will likely be your heart. Finally, at 47 you may also have hormonal issues that come into play. Weight loss is faster for some people than others. 1 lb a week is still 1 lb and that adds up over time.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: 5'9"

I just started on Sept 30th, in 2 weeks I have only lost 5 lbs, but it's ok. I know that any loss is still a win! Keep your head up I would eat a bit more, even if it's just a pickle or two to snack on or a low cal yogurt (just watch that your not going over with your carbs if you eat something like a yogurt). A little change may jump start your body again.
Breanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #8  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Good suggestions on this thread. I'd agree to eat more. Eat more good fats/oils and salt.

Eat all of your protein packs and get your protein not just with chicken because chicken is low in fat. Salmon has a lot of good fat in it.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 168/159/120

Height: 5 foot

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I do the choc and vanilla drink mixes three times a day - i get in my oil and salt. I don't do the IP snacks available. I think you are correct in saying that I may need more calories since I am very active - I think the starvation mode makes sense. I mix my protein up and eat a variety of meats .... I love salmon and was advised to eat it only once a week. We grow our own beef so we have lean beef and I do eat steak once in awhile. I will talk with my counselor about the calorie intake on Wed. Thanks again for the help - feeling much better!
PurtyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #10  

One thing that helped me was moving my snack from the evening (7 pm) to afternoon. Also, whenever I can, I do a pre-made shake (with a cup of spinach each time) for breakfast and lunch instead of soup.

Susan
sjerrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

The program is carefully balanced. Cutting things out backfires and weight loss stalls. Put the restricteds in if that is what you mean by snacks. They are there for a reason, especially if you have to be physically active in your daily schedule.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186.2/181.6/160

Height: 5' 5"

I definitely agree that you are not eating enough! Make sure you are getting in the oil as well.
Wine4me is offline   Reply With Quote