Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #1  

Question First week on ideal protein and having a hard time!!! Need some questions answered

Ok it is my first few days on ideal protein and as a die hard carb fan I am having a hard time. I do not like the taste of regular water and I have tried the mint leaves, ginger, lemon and nothing has worked. My ideal protein coach said that water flavorings like mio crystal light etc are not allowed, anybody have any suggestions on making water taste better? or anyone use the flavoring and still get results? Can I drink unsweetened ice tea?

I also am having a hard time eating the snack required at night because i get off at 7pm and i try to eat my dinner by 8pm, if I want to have a boiled egg with lettuce around 1000 as a snack and maybe anouther helping in the afternoon do you think that would be ok?

One last question if I run out of the food on the first week or do not like some of the choices can I just substitute other forms of protein chicken, eggs etc? I know that you can trade some of the unopened food in and exchange it but I really do not want to have to make 2 trips in a week

thank you in advance for your help
anp1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1984 View Post
Ok it is my first few days on ideal protein and as a die hard carb fan I am having a hard time. I do not like the taste of regular water and I have tried the mint leaves, ginger, lemon and nothing has worked. My ideal protein coach said that water flavorings like mio crystal light etc are not allowed, anybody have any suggestions on making water taste better? or anyone use the flavoring and still get results? Can I drink unsweetened ice tea?

I also am having a hard time eating the snack required at night because i get off at 7pm and i try to eat my dinner by 8pm, if I want to have a boiled egg with lettuce around 1000 as a snack and maybe anouther helping in the afternoon do you think that would be ok?

One last question if I run out of the food on the first week or do not like some of the choices can I just substitute other forms of protein chicken, eggs etc? I know that you can trade some of the unopened food in and exchange it but I really do not want to have to make 2 trips in a week

First of all, WELCOME!
Answers to questions:
1. Yes! Unsweetened iced tea. Get decaf tea bags!
2. Due to late dinner time, just have your snack in the afternoon, instead. IP coaches need to help with life flexibility
3. Your profile doesn't indicate where you live. In the US, EAS Carb Control ready-to-drink is available just about everywhere: Target, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, grocery stores, etc. You would sub THAT. Or go to GNC and get a protein powder mix within these guidelines:

Best if 12-15 g. protein
Best if 0-5 carbs
Best if 0 fat
If you can find Syntrax nectar, it is a GREAT sub for IP packet. I don't think GNC sells it but other nutrition stores might (I buy mine at Netrition.com or Nashuanutrition.com)

On Phase 1, you won't sub food for a packet. (exception: 1 whole egg + 3 egg whites = omelet packet). Egg whites can be purchased in a carton (like egg beaters, but just buy real whites...egg beaters have a bunch of unnecessary additives)

If you buy an alternate product, your coach won't like it. I've found it is best to not mention it. Just make sure it fits well within the guidelines for most of IPs food and you'll be good.

Oh, and IP sells a water enhancer. Ask your coach for that next time. Keep working on the water. It'll grow on you. It REALLY is important. I use Mio (or alternative) once/day. YMMV

Nothing with aspartame!

Much success to you!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #3  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Hello there,

I am not sure why your coach did not allow you to use Mio, I heard that other coaches do allow them and many members in here including myself use Mio, my favourite is the Lemonade one. Ask your coach again, and if she does not want you to use Mio, I made this refreshing water jug in the summer time and put it in the fridge and drank from it all day long: fill the jug with water, add fresh mint leaves, a finely sliced cucumber and a finely sliced lemon or lime, put it in the fridge and once cold, it gives a very refreshing taste and they say that this help the body to detox (but even if doesn't, I use to drink it for the taste).

As for your snack, you don't have to eat it at night, I always eat my snack around 3 pm.

Egg whites are free, but a hard boiled egg should count in your protein servings.

As for your last question, don't substitute your protein packets with other forms of protein such as chicken, meat or other, but you can substitute them with some alternative products which you might like more than what you already have, but it a matter of tasting and trying to see what you'll end up liking, there are many threads in here about alternative products.

I hope I answered your questions, but please feel free to ask anything you want, I know how lost I was when I was a newbie
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1984 View Post

Hi and Welcome ...

Sorry about the water thing, but it is a mainstay of keeping your body functioning. Kidneys really MUST have it with the protein composition of this diet. There is no way around getting the daily total down...and remember, the 64 oz is a minimum. This is not considered a high protein diet, it's moderate, but the cals are very low so the % of protein is high because the carbs are low. (It's the total grams of protein/day which put this in the moderate range.) At some point your tastes DO, change and you can hope you will start to at least tolerate it ...if not enjoy it. Try drinking it in certain environments...for example..I find it easy to get 2 or 3 16 oz bottles down during the day when in the car...for some reason...it just goes down easier! It's easy to get distracted at home and then find my 16 oz bottle only half gone on the counter...2 hrs after starting it.

You should NOT be substituting any food for the protein foods packets. If you do not follow the protocol, you are off plan and your results will not be maximized. There are alternatives you can find at health food stores and sometimes in drug or groc stores in some area. (EASILY FOUND at Walmart for example: EAS Edge carb control shakes 100-110 cals and ususally 3g carbs or lower). If you decide to try "alternates", you should read the alternates thread and become educated on what meets the IP criteria if you substitute another product. There is a LOT out there that is way off...and companies make some things that are equivalent to IP...and some things that are not within the same category. Your IP coach most likely will not help on this...they are selling IP products after all. Read and know that each product/flavor is OK. You are ultimately responsible to be sure what you are using does meet the guidelines is you make changes. If you have questions after reading the alternate thread, and checking labels, that is the best place to ask your questions. Some may feel it is too much to absorb to learn all of that, but wanting to use alternates or being knowledgeable enough to select a product is reason to learn HOW and WHY this program works.

Best of luck...But but stick to the protocol...it works!

Last edited by 65X65; 09-29-2013 at 11:47 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/232/175

My coach said the key to using Mio is how much you put in. A squirt, maybe 2 small ones is fine. If you need your water to change color and use a lot, it's a problem. I hate water so my switch from crystal light powder to Mio has made a difference for me.

I am no longer 100% IP because I'm currently using the EAS Edge Carb control shakes because I just can't afford the ready made ones IP offers. I'm on the go too much and need to have the convenience of doing a meal while I drive.
amyllf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyllf2 View Post
My coach said the key to using Mio is how much you put in. A squirt, maybe 2 small ones is fine. If you need your water to change color and use a lot, it's a problem. I hate water so my switch from crystal light powder to Mio has made a difference for me.

I am no longer 100% IP because I'm currently using the EAS Edge Carb control shakes because I just can't afford the ready made ones IP offers. I'm on the go too much and need to have the convenience of doing a meal while I drive.
Consider yourself 100% IP protocol, using alternative products (instead of name brand).
It is ALL GOOD!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #7  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

In terms of making water taste better ...

Buy a box of this herb tea ... Celestial Seasonings "Cinnamon Apple Spice" ... and put 2 teabags in a 1L bottle of water ... or 3 teabags in a 1.5L bottle. The tea will "brew" right in the bottle in about an hour or two or three. The longer you leave the teabags in, the spicier and sweeter the tea will taste. In 24 hours, the tea will be even sweeter tasting -- but no sugar, no artificial sweetener, no calories, no carbs, nothing!

This tastes SO AMAZING ... zingy and a little spicy hot and SWEET. I think the sweetness is an illusion from the cinnamon. I have been LIVING on this for 2 months and have lost a ton of weight. It feels like a cheat, it's so good.

The other suggestion is buy really good water. Tap water will always taste terrible. I have done taste tests and like Evian the best by far. And that's all I've been drinking while dieting. Although it does cost about $2.49 for a 1.5L bottle (you can occasionally find it on sale). I think this is a small price to pay to get healthy! Look at it this way, a 1.5L bottle of Evian is cheaper than 1 IP foil packet of food!

I bet if you were to try a bottle of Evian Water and 3 of those Cinnamon Apple Spice teabags tossed in, I predict that you will never, ever complain again about the taste of water.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 09-30-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #8  
IP Start Date 8.15.13

S/C/G: 346/started IP @ 311/266/169

Height: 5'9"

I second Avalons suggestion. I tried it after she first posted it and it is crazy good!
clbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/189.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for all these suggestions! I was on IP for over a month and lost 22 lbs, but couldn't afford the products. I've tried some protein drinks from Walmart and GNC but they are so thick and milky that they were hard to drink. I am placing my order for Syntrax Nectar samples today and going to public to get the GS apple cinnamon herb tea!!!!!

The restart of a new me!!!
Jbhigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #10  
KAMKAR

S/C/G: 243/175.4/170

Height: 5'6

I too couldn't tolerate just plan water at the beginning!

I had invested in a Camelbak waterbottle that has a filter and I think it had helped me a great deal. I fill it up with ice and water and drink away. Plus I know that as long as I fill it 4 times that I have gotten my daily water in.
KAMKAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240/160/165

Height: 5'5

I too wasn't much of a fan of plain water at first, but after a while I got used to it and now prefer it over everything else.
cassieleeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/259/150

Height: 5'4"

A little nervous today, at midnight tonight I am not to have anything to eat or drink. Possibly nothing tomorrow but ice chips. I'm afraid they will offer me Jello loaded with sugar and carbs. Since I've been on the IP diet I have learned to eat! I mean really eat. I was going hours without food and with no snacking (never was a snack person). Now, every 3-4 hours I am eating and losing. This makes 12 weeks on the program with 30 pounds gone. Also the supplements had to stop for a week but my coach added items to my program to make up for the loss. So here's to getting back on track after a full day off!
Cat Bird is offline   Reply With Quote