Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #316  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

S/C/G: 218/187.5/144

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasie View Post
I started IP in August. I started because I had en event over labor day that I was slimming down for. However, after starting the diet I realized I wanted to keep going until I get back down to my goal. I'm finding the diet very easy to follow (by keeping prepared). But I am realizing that I am obsessing about foods all day. From the time I finish my last bite (and realize I wish it was more) I start thinking about how many hours until my next meal and am I still in the mood for what I planned.

I guess I'm a very sensory eater, and the eating itself is so enjoyable for me. That is my addiction. From the time I take my first bite of my bars I am already depressed that I will have no more in a mere minute.

This is all said, I have totally stayed on plan and have lost 14 lbs since starting. The first week I was waiting for the food so was just kind of being careful and trying to figure out alternatives (I did a pretty good job) so I'm not even sure that can count. Anyway, I have about 20 lbs more to do - I hope I can stick it out. I'm also really worried about the maintenance, because I don't want to go back there but I miss my enchiladas and indian food sooooo much!
I actually obsessed over food, morning til night, while continuing to gain, and gain, and gain. I would plan a diet, and the planning of it, and the reading about it, and the talking about it - just became obsessive. And oh my, I DO love to eat! - so I know what you are referring to. However, on IP, it is so structured, that it has been an actual RELIEF to not have to think too much about what I am doing, and I really don't think much about food anymore. I do plan my meals - that's important - but then I just kind of let it go, and just make sure I get my planned meals in during the day.

I do have a question. You mentioned when you take your first bite of your bar, you are already lamenting that this will be it, and wish you had more. Before IP, were you a carb/sweet addict? I sure am/was. I wonder if the bars, because they are similar (to me) to eating a candy bar - if it triggers your psychological addiction to wanting more and more. I have been on IP for 3.5 wks now, and I have yet to have a bar or restricted. Now, I will say, you ARE allowed on the program to have 1 restricted per day from the very beginning, but because I am so sensitive to sweet carbs, I discussed it with my coach and we decided to wait until I was well into ketosis to have one of the sweet restricteds. I was given the 'go ahead' last week, but I have just chosen not to. As long as I'm satisfied with what I'm having so far (my mocha smoothies quench that need for something sweet), I am going to forego the restricteds all-together. I don't have any misconceptions that this will help me lose faster. I just feel it is right for me and my past addictive binge behavior with sweets. So, just a thought. Perhaps try going without the sweet bars for a week and see if you can break the craving and obsessing over food (especially if it is sweets you are obsessing over)?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #317  
IP start date: 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 230/207/160

Height: 5'2

Hello everyone! Just dropping in to say Good-bye before I leave on my trip tomorrow to LA. I imagine I won't be on the forum much, if at all. So everyone have a fantastic week and keep on chugging along! Just think all of you will have great losses and when I get back I will be terrified to step on the scale! lol

Well I phased off of IP over the last 9 days, and I must tell you all that I don't feel as good! Since having carbs in the morning, I feel more sluggish through out the day. I also seem to crave stuff more- especially sweets! ugh! So in some ways I am looking forward to getting back to phase 1 when I get back on the 22nd. It does worry me about eventually phasing off for maintenance long term down the road...I guess this is good practice. Just have to learn to make healthier choices from now on, no matter what.

I had my parents over for supper tonight. Made chicken fajitas. I ordered some low-carb tortillas from thelowcarbgrocery.ca and they were actually very good, with only 3 net carbs per wrap! Highly recommended! I skipped out on the buttertart bar dessert! wahoo for me but I was craving chocolate so I had the new chocolate brownie. It did the trick....then I went on to crave salty- so I had a pack of wonderslim pretzels! UGH. 2 restricteds in a row. But it's better than eating non-IP food I suppose! I have been more relaxed with myself these past couple days in preparation for my trip...I am just crossing my fingers that I will get right back on track. I have to, and I will! I have come to far to stop now!

Its weird because I almost feel "guilty" for giving myself a week off of dieting. Like I don't feel I deserve it. Yet I know I do...such tangled emotions right now! Anyway, I will let you all know how it went when I get back! I set myfitnesspal to "maintain weight" and it is allowing me 2000 cal a day! Wowzers! I won't even get close to that, and that is a great thing!

See ya all in a week!!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #318  
IP Start date Aug.11,2013

S/C/G: 291.8/258.8/180

Height: 5'5"

I work in a bar and have done really well being around "bar"" food 5 days a week. Today all my coworkers brought in different desserts to share throughout the shift... I wouldnt even go near them, didnt want to even know what they were. very proud of myself for staying op again today
Old 09-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #319  
Restart - June17/15

S/C/G: 221/215/160

Height: 5"6

Have a great holiday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanovich View Post
Hello everyone! Just dropping in to say Good-bye before I leave on my trip tomorrow to LA. I imagine I won't be on the forum much, if at all. So everyone have a fantastic week and keep on chugging along! Just think all of you will have great losses and when I get back I will be terrified to step on the scale! lol

Well I phased off of IP over the last 9 days, and I must tell you all that I don't feel as good! Since having carbs in the morning, I feel more sluggish through out the day. I also seem to crave stuff more- especially sweets! ugh! So in some ways I am looking forward to getting back to phase 1 when I get back on the 22nd. It does worry me about eventually phasing off for maintenance long term down the road...I guess this is good practice. Just have to learn to make healthier choices from now on, no matter what.

I had my parents over for supper tonight. Made chicken fajitas. I ordered some low-carb tortillas from thelowcarbgrocery.ca and they were actually very good, with only 3 net carbs per wrap! Highly recommended! I skipped out on the buttertart bar dessert! wahoo for me but I was craving chocolate so I had the new chocolate brownie. It did the trick....then I went on to crave salty- so I had a pack of wonderslim pretzels! UGH. 2 restricteds in a row. But it's better than eating non-IP food I suppose! I have been more relaxed with myself these past couple days in preparation for my trip...I am just crossing my fingers that I will get right back on track. I have to, and I will! I have come to far to stop now!

Its weird because I almost feel "guilty" for giving myself a week off of dieting. Like I don't feel I deserve it. Yet I know I do...such tangled emotions right now! Anyway, I will let you all know how it went when I get back! I set myfitnesspal to "maintain weight" and it is allowing me 2000 cal a day! Wowzers! I won't even get close to that, and that is a great thing!

See ya all in a week!!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #320  
sugar is the devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesandybeaches View Post
I work in a bar and have done really well being around "bar"" food 5 days a week. Today all my coworkers brought in different desserts to share throughout the shift... I wouldnt even go near them, didnt want to even know what they were. very proud of myself for staying op again today
Congrats! I know that can be tough sometimes. I've been avoiding all the potluck food left behind on evening shift; usually it's bad junk food. Nothing for me to eat anyways. But somedays - I would really like a taste or a nibble but know it's not worth it
Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #321  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

See ya all in a week!!
Have a great trip!

Just wanted to remind the newbies...those wraps are not P1 approved, but they will be great for maintenance.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #322  

Thanks! I don't think the bars are triggering anything - it actually happens with everything. But because I can bulk up meals with veggies, it only happens with the snack... it doesn't matter if it's a bar, shake, cereal or soup! The actual "eating" doesn't last long enough for me!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #323  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
?..But I am realizing that I am obsessing about foods all day. From the time I finish my last bite (and realize I wish it was more)

I guess I'm a very sensory eater, and the eating itself is so enjoyable for me. That is my addiction. From the time I take my first bite of my bars I am already depressed that I will have no more in a mere minute...
I was so happy to read this because it means I'm not the only one! The thing that's been a little different for me on IP is that even though I think that same thing as I start my meal/snack, if I give it a few minutes after I've eaten, I usually don't actually feel hungry or have a craving to have more. Usually. I think that's why this is working for me. I'm generally not truly hungry.

I'm having a bit of a "day" today because the scale isn't doing what I'd hoped. Grr. BUT I do know this is working and I CAN do it. I do find myself thinking crazy thoughts..."only -1.6 this week, that's terrible" but I am focusing on trying to change my inner dialogue. It's hard. Harder than choosing to stay OP maybe.

Wish me luck. The weather is insanely beautiful here today so I'm going to take a leisurely walk and buy a book and people watch.

I am so grateful for this forum.

Have a great OP weekend all.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #324  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Quote:
That's awesome! You go!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #325  
Started IP 8/22/13

S/C/G: 258/191/175

Dang -- I typed up a post and it was eaten by my computer! You'd think TODAY was Friday the 13th!

So -- good morning everyone! I hope you had a great week. I wasn't on here much and I think all my posts were on the daily chat thread, so I hope I didn't miss anything on here.

I am downright flabbergasted by how well IP is working for me. When I had my first consultation my coach said that because my muscle mass is a lot higher than average (I have no idea why), I would probably lose faster - instead of 3-4 lbs a week, more like 4-5.

Had my third WI on Thursday and was down another 5 lbs for a total of 19!! I can actually see a difference in my body! This week I wore a couple of tops that I hadn't worn for months because they clung to my fat roles and made me uncomfortable, but now they fit like they should. I've been afraid to try on pants (shopping in my closet). Even though I can see changes in the mirror, somehow I'm afraid that my tight pants will still be tight . . .

Well, I have to work from home today so I better get to it. Have a wonderful weekend!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #326  
IP Start Date 8.15.13

S/C/G: 346/started IP @ 311/266/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
I have been on IP for 3.5 wks now, and I have yet to have a bar or restricted. Now, I will say, you ARE allowed on the program to have 1 restricted per day from the very beginning, but because I am so sensitive to sweet carbs, I discussed it with my coach and we decided to wait until I was well into ketosis to have one of the sweet restricteds. I was given the 'go ahead' last week, but I have just chosen not to. As long as I'm satisfied with what I'm having so far (my mocha smoothies quench that need for something sweet), I am going to forego the restricteds all-together. I don't have any misconceptions that this will help me lose faster. I just feel it is right for me and my past addictive binge behavior with sweets. So, just a thought. Perhaps try going without the sweet bars for a week and see if you can break the craving and obsessing over food (especially if it is sweets you are obsessing over)?
I actually did buy 1 box of the candy bar things - um yeah - Im not doing that again. I would like to blame TOM but I know better in my heart. It's WAY too much like eating a candy bar. and yes I did eat more that I am supposed to.

I find that with a regular candy bar I can ignore it because "I don't eat those anymore" works for me. But when it is said "Well here is a candy bar that you CAN eat" I struggled with it.

Plus it is ready to eat and I dont have to do anything to prepare before I can eat it. So it is Soooooo easy to overindulge. So I am just not going to buy those anymore (plus they really aren't all that good to boot. go figure!).
Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #327  
IP start date: 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 230/207/160

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Have a great trip!

Just wanted to remind the newbies...those wraps are not P1 approved, but they will be great for maintenance.
Good point- thank you for clarifying that. However...I think if you were really craving a "wrap" like item this would be ok as maybe a super restricted- it only has 50 calories and 3 net carbs, 5g protein and 2g fat. Occassional use would not derail you on P1 in my opinion. But yes great for maintenance forsure, or anyone living the low carb lifestyle.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #328  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

S/C/G: 218/187.5/144

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Now THAT is a NSV! Way to stay STRONG! Feels good to be in control, huh?

Quote:
Thanks! I don't think the bars are triggering anything - it actually happens with everything. But because I can bulk up meals with veggies, it only happens with the snack... it doesn't matter if it's a bar, shake, cereal or soup! The actual "eating" doesn't last long enough for me!
If veggies help, plan to add veggies to your snacks too. As long as you stay within the 4 cups/day, you can space them however you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachinyc View Post
I'm having a bit of a "day" today because the scale isn't doing what I'd hoped. Grr. BUT I do know this is working and I CAN do it. I do find myself thinking crazy thoughts..."only -1.6 this week, that's terrible" but I am focusing on trying to change my inner dialogue. It's hard. Harder than choosing to stay OP maybe.
I can identify with the 'always wanting/expecting more' when it comes to what I see on the scale. So far, I've been happy with what I've seen on the scale each week (the first 3), but it's so stupid, I'm already anticipating that I will be discouraged at some point! Old habits die hard! Like you said, I really need to change my inner dialogue because it certainly didn't help me before!! I just have to remember that no matter what, it will happen if I stick with it. I have looked at some of the weekly weigh in results from some of the successful 'senior' IPers, and I can see where some had 0 loss, or even a gain for a week, yet they kept at it and the next week was 3 or 4 or 5 lbs! So, I have to keep that in mind the first time I'm confronted with a loss that is less than I'd hoped for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabillygirl View Post
Had my third WI on Thursday and was down another 5 lbs for a total of 19!!
AWESOME Job!! You are rockin' it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbott View Post
I actually did buy 1 box of the candy bar things - um yeah - Im not doing that again. It's WAY too much like eating a candy bar. I find that with a regular candy bar I can ignore it because "I don't eat those anymore" works for me. But when it is said "Well here is a candy bar that you CAN eat" I struggled with it....it is Soooooo easy to overindulge.
I realize some have no problem with the bars at all, and I WISH I didn't, but I have the same struggle you do. For now, I am just doing without. At some point, though (WAAAAY down the line) I will give it a try because I hope by that point I will be in control of my eating, no matter what it is. That would be my goal for maintenance, for sure.

Have a GREAT OP Saturday Augusters!! I love that everyone is so active on this thread and we are really a dynamic group that is sticking together in this journey and helping each other along!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #329  

Default Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the suggestions and support... great ideas that I will try
Old 09-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #330  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Good point- thank you for clarifying that. However...I think if you were really craving a "wrap" like item this would be ok as maybe a super restricted- it only has 50 calories and 3 net carbs, 5g protein and 2g fat. Occassional use would not derail you on P1 in my opinion. But yes great for maintenance forsure, or anyone living the low carb lifestyle.
Just a word of wisdom...this plan works much better once you stop justifying items that are not allowed.

If you really "need" a wrap, egg whites spread thinly in a pan and cooked or romaine leaves work just as well.
Closed Thread