Old 08-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
The awesome owner of my clinic contacted customer relations who said they are not planning to discontinue the Potato Puree! Stand Down!

yah my clinic person said the same thing.
i wonder why IP d/c products anyhow...you'd think they would just always want to be expanding on their product lines!?
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art3mis View Post
yah my clinic person said the same thing.
i wonder why IP d/c products anyhow...you'd think they would just always want to be expanding on their product lines!?
Like any company, they have to discontinue products that aren't profitable. So the least popular items often are discontinued, because they've decided profits are too low to justify the cost of manufacturing. Even popular products can be discontinued or reformulated if ingredients from their suppliers become scarce,is discontinued, becomes scarce or expensive.

Anyway, I'm glad the potato puree supply seems to be safe. By the way, I did try my packet copy (18g microfilteted whey protein isolate + 10g mashed potato flakes + a tiny pinch of salt) with the English muffin recipe and it was AWESOME.

I did use the 1/2 tsp of baking powder and I let the batter sit in a covered bowl for about 30 minutes (to give the protein powder a little extra time to dissolve and the baking powder time to work it's magic. My grandmother always said that "resting" a baking powder batter gave a batter bread more lift).

I used my smallest skillet and just made it like I would a pancake. Instead of splitting it, I cut it across the radius and used the two half-circles to make a tuna sandwich with the untoasted, unsplit halves.

I used almond milk (about 3 calories per tablespoon) in place of the milk.

I'm going to also try thinning the batter with more almond milk or water, maybe eliminating or reducing the baking powder to make a pita or tortilla, so that the bread would fold without breaking.

I also wonder if I could make thin crackers by making small, thin crepes and then baking them in the oven on low heat or drying them in my dehydrator until crispy.

I've never tasted a "real" IP packet, so I don't know the flavor and texture compare, but I was very pleased.

I'm mildly allergic to wheat, and gluten-free breads are horribly expensive (and just plain horrible), so I've been missing bread long before I even started my not-quite IP meal-replacing, protein-focused diet (The Simple Diet).

I'm anxious to see if I can use it to make a thin, crisp pizza crust. I don't mind cheeseless pizza, but I really, really, really miss thin, crispy crusts.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-09-2013 at 06:41 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote