Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/132/120

Height: 5'3"

Question Exercise Advice on Phase 1 IP

Hi guys! So I am finishing up my 8th week of IP and in less than 2 weeks I will be doing The Dirty Girl Mud Race, which is a 5k full of obsticles. I am starting to get worried as I have not done any physical exercise in a long time and I know that it probably isn't advised on IP. Any tips or sugguestions? I just read an article about major heart problems you can run into if you exercise on IP, which freaked me out... but I am doing this race in honor of my Grandma who is a breast cancer survivor. On a side note, I am almost to my goal weight and feel it is time to tone up all of this loose skin!!!! Thanks!
Foodlover2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Sounds like this race is important to you. If you're bound and determined to do it I would start training right away and stop the IP diet until it's over because without any training you may not have the strength to finish it.

With enough time and training you can do this kind of race low carb and I know I guy who did the tough mudder totally fasted with a good time just to make a point but in your case putting fat loss on hold for a short while seems appropriate.

Just a word of caution - you need to ramp up your training - don't go full blast. Two weeks can make a big difference. I'd start with brisk walking for the first couple days and move into jogging after.

Goodluck!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #3  

To add to John's very good advice, I suggest you get this book TODAY
The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by Volek and Phinney

You're gonna need to decide which is more important: the race or Phase 1 of IP. It is okay to phase off (you could start phase 3 tomorrow!) and train for the race.

But to do the race, you DEFINITELY need to train!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #4  
PatientDet

Default Intense Exercise

In my vast 3 weeks of experience, I did exercise one day, and I got so lightheaded, I could not think clearly. Much better, and with more energy by not exercising.
BigMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/168/125

Height: 5'0"

My coach told me I can do any exercise I want. Im currently training for a 16 mile mountain run ( the race goes through a mountainous pass in Seward, Alaska) and im in phase one. I sometimes workout 3 hrs a day and dont feel weak necessarily, just really hungry!!! Im sure this kind of training on no carbs is not a great idea.... But well we will see.
AlaskanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/246/125 (start IP @ 259)

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodlover2013 View Post
Hi guys! So I am finishing up my 8th week of IP and in less than 2 weeks I will be doing The Dirty Girl Mud Race, which is a 5k full of obsticles. I am starting to get worried as I have not done any physical exercise in a long time and I know that it probably isn't advised on IP. Any tips or sugguestions? I just read an article about major heart problems you can run into if you exercise on IP, which freaked me out... but I am doing this race in honor of my Grandma who is a breast cancer survivor. On a side note, I am almost to my goal weight and feel it is time to tone up all of this loose skin!!!! Thanks!
What about talking to your coach about switching to the alternative IP plan for athletes?
fitgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanRN View Post
My coach told me I can do any exercise I want. Im currently training for a 16 mile mountain run ( the race goes through a mountainous pass in Seward, Alaska) and im in phase one. I sometimes workout 3 hrs a day and dont feel weak necessarily, just really hungry!!! Im sure this kind of training on no carbs is not a great idea.... But well we will see.
Didn't you post in another thread about being HUNGRY all the time with cravings and struggling to stay OP? Well you just found your answer!!!

IP in definitely a NO EXERCISE eating plan. 700-900 calories are NOT enough to support your body when exerting that kind of energy!! In fact, exercise can slow or even STOP WEIGHT LOSS when eating in this low calorie range! (Your coach should know this!!)

For those who simply must exercise, a very LIGHT workout can be done but you MUST have an extra unrestricted packet w/in a half hour post work out. (A three hour workout would not be recommended at all.)

It really sounds like you need to reconsider being on IP while on this heavy training regime. Not only is it physically taking a toll but it is taking a toll emotionally as stated in your other post about the frustration of cravings, hunger and inability to maintain being OP for more than a couple days. In this situation, don't see those as your weaknesses as much as your body rebelling!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanRN View Post
I'd highly recommend the book "The Art and Science if Low Carb Performance" if you are planning to continue this type of training.

Your coach is misleading you & is perhaps improperly trained? (Appears common, unfortunately)
If you read Dr Tran's book, you'll see IP was originally designed for off-season or injured athletes.

After acclimating to Ketosis (3-4 weeks) exercise is fine on IP but it does not provide the energy for heavy training.

At least this explains why on another thread you mentioned your coach has you on 5 packets. Did your coach tell you about an alternative protocol for athletes? A good one would have.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

I think if you look back a page or two, there is a thread with info on the athlete protocol bumped up a few days ago. Anyone doing more than some light workouts should consider it and discuss w/coach IF you feel your coach seems knowlegible. Otherwise just evaluate for yourself.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote