Old 06-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #16  
Started IP 5/29/13

S/C/G: 192/179/135

Height: 5'5.5"

WestLAgrl, thank you! I will check it out.
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #17  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I do not do IP.

You might want to make your own plan up if beer is a deal breaker.

I skip dinner and drink craft beer instead (the good stuff, 9.5%, 300 calories a bottle). I eat a small, healthy breakfast and mostly eat salads for lunch. On most nights I drink two beers. Sometimes more.

Mix in some exercise and I'm good to go.

70 pounds down now and my goal is to lose 100 without giving up the nectar!

The trick with beer is to avoid the munchies. It's the food that goes with beer that is bad. A lot of people lose control with their eating when drinking alcohol. If that is the case for you, then beer will need to go.

Last edited by IanG; 06-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Beer is made from maltose, which packs a higher punch per tsp then regular white sugar (dextrose)....just putting that out there.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #19  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

No, the main ingredient in beer is water together with hop oils and trace amounts of sugar.

I'm not saying it's good for you, but beer alone won't make man fat.

Beer with food however is a different story...because most people tend to eat more and consumer more junk when drinking beer.

Last edited by IanG; 06-01-2013 at 12:30 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #20  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I don't normally agree with the IP group think mentality but this is an exception.

If you want to drink beer and lose weight you should follow another plan.

One thing to consider is that we as humans can never erase habits. You can however make new habits and it takes about 30 days to make a new habit so if you want to do the IP diet just commit to 30 days of no beer. It won't be easy but you can do a month so just make the commitment to follow the IP plan as written for 30 days. Then you can decide if you want to continue or do something else.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #21  
IP start Aug 2012

S/C/G: 260.2/165

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I don't normally agree with the IP group think mentality but this is an exception.

If you want to drink beer and lose weight you should follow another plan.

One thing to consider is that we as humans can never erase habits. You can however make new habits and it takes about 30 days to make a new habit so if you want to do the IP diet just commit to 30 days of no beer. It won't be easy but you can do a month so just make the commitment to follow the IP plan as written for 30 days. Then you can decide if you want to continue or do something else.
Bold: My point from the get-go.

I have a friend who is over-exercising so he can still have his beer & pizza. This will work for a while (and is currently working). However, he has had several injuries, exacerbated (I believe) from the inflammatory diet he insists on continuing to eat/drink. This is his choice. I'm betting he'll be an orthopedists good client if he keeps it up, tho.

What you eat/drink is up to you. If you choose IP, you follow the plan. Otherwise, choose a different plan.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I know you lose by reducing calories but can't help to wonder if "skipping dinner" to save calories so you can drink beer is healthy in the long run?

Common sense would point me in the direction of "no."
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 221/181/175

Height: 5'10

I like beer too, but I can easily give that up for a "normal" life since it is only 100% off the menu for me for hopefully 3-4 months.

While not a great choice from a lot of people's point of view, and not on the IP plan at all, a lime flavored Perrier or San Peligrino scratches that bubbly itch if I feel like being a bad boy - happened twice in seven weeks so far, and if that is as bad as I get on this diet, I'll be ok.

Again, lot's of folks are down on carbonated water, but the "natural" ones are less bad and definitely nowhere near as big a no-no as a beer.

Good luck with your weight loss journey!
IPguy442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the majority here, NO alcohol during P1. Not just because it will stall or slow weight loss, but also because we know and accept that this diet puts a stress on the liver, and why put salt on the wound?

That said, I MISS my almost nightly glass or two of Chardonnay. And lets be honest, if I had one, I would want two, because one just doesn't get me to that happy, cares-melting-from-shoulders place.

But I have chose NOT to cheat. So NO wine for me until I am at goal. But I have found other ways to satisfy my social and personal urge for a nice drink after a hard week.

Mock Mojitos - I muddle a chopped up lime with a nice handful of fresh mint leaves and about 1/4 tsp. each of Splenda and rum extract (alcohol free) in a tall glass. Add ice and water and a straw or fancy stirrer. HEAVEN. I'm sipping one on my porch as I type this. It is the ONLY time I use added sweeteners. The rum extract also allows me to kick up the IP Pina Cola drink. Add some rum extract a few ice cubes, some water and that drink mix, blend in a bullet and pour into a fancy glass (do you see a trend here, I even use a wine glass for my daily water. Makes me feel special!!! Sometime its all about smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by SeattleNP; 06-01-2013 at 03:22 PM.
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #25  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

Great feedback and info. I haven't had a beer or ANY adult bev's since starting 4 weeks ago and at first VERY VERY hard, like Lisa32989 we are big craft beer drinkers and often go to craft brewers, etc.. it was really a hobby of ours, but I know I really just can't. I am sick of being sick and tired of this weight.

Last edited by Summerblue; 06-01-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #26  
Started IP 5/29/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleNP View Post
I agree with the majority here, NO alcohol during P1. Not just because it will stall or slow weight loss, but also because we know and accept that this diet puts a stress on the liver, and why put salt on the wound?

That said, I MISS my almost nightly glass or two of Chardonnay. And lets be honest, if I had one, I would want two, because one just doesn't get me to that happy, cares-melting-from-shoulders place.

But I have chose NOT to cheat. So NO wine for me until I am at goal. But I have found other ways to satisfy my social and personal urge for a nice drink after a hard week.

Mock Mojitos - I muddle a chopped up lime with a nice handful of fresh mint leaves and about 1/4 tsp. each of Splenda and rum extract (alcohol free) in a tall glass. Add ice and water and a straw or fancy stirrer. HEAVEN. I'm sipping one on my porch as I type this. It is the ONLY time I use added sweeteners. The rum extract also allows me to kick up the IP Pina Cola drink. Add some rum extract a few ice cubes, some water and that drink mix, blend in a bullet and pour into a fancy glass (do you see a trend here, I even use a wine glass for my daily water. Makes me feel special!!! Sometime its all about smoke and mirrors.
Thanks Seattle NP! Great idea for a substitute treat. Perrier is also a great idea. This is what I need, a go-to substitute to feel in the hole in my evening where beer used to be.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #27  
Started IP 5/29/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
1. Yes, that's why you have to calculate it in. And best not eat while you drink. Space it.
2. See 1
3. That's why you have to calculate it to the total carbs. I do not drink beer, but red wine does not have many carbs. It is fermented. If the loss is a bit slower, you have to decide what is the most important and act accordingly
4. That is the whole problem. But there are people who can control themselves. Knowledge is also power.

I know everybody hates what I say, but if the successful execution of a diet requires the occasional drinking of alcohol, maybe one has to find a way that works. It is not always who looses the fastest who will be successful. IP works great, there are plenty of examples on this board. But there is no law that says you cannot modify. She asked. But I guess I will stop answering. I do not want to boil everybody's blood.
It looks like I jumped in the kool-aid here without knowing what flavor it was, but I certainly appreciate your response Lolo. If there are lines drawn here between strict adherers and people who believe you can make personal modification, you can count me in the second group. But I appreciate the advice and input everyone has given. Just being able to talk about it is very helpful.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 296/259/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleNP View Post

Mock Mojitos - I muddle a chopped up lime with a nice handful of fresh mint

leaves and about 1/4 tsp. each of Splenda and rum extract (alcohol free) in a
tall glass. Add ice and water and a straw or fancy stirrer. HEAVEN. I'm
sipping one on my porch as I type this. It is the ONLY time I use added
sweeteners. The rum extract also allows me to kick up the IP Pina Cola drink.
Add some rum extract a few ice cubes, some water and that drink mix, blend
in a bullet and pour into a fancy glass (do you see a trend here, I even use a
wine glass for my daily water. Makes me feel special!!! Sometime its all
about smoke and mirrors.
Mmmm! Thanks for this. This will be my patio drink for the summer!
DreamingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #29  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
It looks like I jumped in the kool-aid here without knowing what flavor it was, but I certainly appreciate your response Lolo. If there are lines drawn here between strict adherers and people who believe you can make personal modification, you can count me in the second group. But I appreciate the advice and input everyone has given. Just being able to talk about it is very helpful.
Hear, Hear. My first round with IP, I was in solid with the nothing but what's on the sheet group. My second round, I fall within the second group. More than anything, I believe we are adults making adult choices and living with the adult consequences. I own it, no one else. Simple as that. AND, it goes without saying that having good info is good medicine.

My "sins" against IP protocol are exercise and occasional nuts. I indulge, I modify and accept the consequences (and the benefits ).

All the best Tomi.
2Poles1Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #30  
Started IP 5/29/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Poles1Girl View Post
Hear, Hear. My first round with IP, I was in solid with the nothing but what's on the sheet group. My second round, I fall within the second group. More than anything, I believe we are adults making adult choices and living with the adult consequences. I own it, no one else. Simple as that. AND, it goes without saying that having good info is good medicine.

My "sins" against IP protocol are exercise and occasional nuts. I indulge, I modify and accept the consequences (and the benefits ).

All the best Tomi.
Hey thanks 2Poles! Back atcha!