Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/172/148

Height: 5'6

Default P3 Breakfast- Jimmy dean delights? or Special K flatbreads

I am transitioning to this tomorrow. I have read all the material but haven't met with coach (have meeting friday) but need to start tomrrow to phase off in time for my wedding.

Delights info- turkey sausage egg white and cheese

cal 250
fat 8g
carb 28
protein 17

Special K flatbread- egg with veg and pepper jack cheese

cal 180
fat 7g
carb 19
protein 9

If I add fruit or yogurt will i meet criteria? so confusing! Please help. I have limited food ready.

Thanks!
Jennie
twolabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I've looked into the Special K flatbreads and they are fine if you add a fruit and dairy, but you want to make sure you use something like greek yogurt that is higher in protein for your dairy (since you need to have at least 25g protein for a P3 breakfast). The Jimmy Dean product is higher in calories but still looks ok, if you can work out dairy and fruit and stay within the carb and calorie guidelines you should be ok.

My personal feeling is to NOT use prepackaged stuff on a regular basis, just because there are going to be preservatives and they tend to be higher in sodium than making your own breakfast sandwiches and freezing them. I make egg sandwiches ahead of time using bagel thins or whole grain english muffins and freeze them, at least then I know exactly what has gone into them.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #3  

thanks for a response!

I need a meeting with coach but am in a bind.

If I add a 100 cal greek yogurt (0 fat, 11 carb - 7 which are sugar- not good, 13 protein will that give me enough protein or should I add an egg? I also have cottage cheese as an option- 2.5 fat, 5 carb, 10 protein.

thanks!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolabs View Post
thanks for a response!

I need a meeting with coach but am in a bind.

If I add a 100 cal greek yogurt (0 fat, 11 carb - 7 which are sugar- not good, 13 protein will that give me enough protein or should I add an egg? I also have cottage cheese as an option- 2.5 fat, 5 carb, 10 protein.

thanks!
Did you get any of the p3 handouts ahead of time, or is that what you will be meeting with your coach about? P3 breakfasts have parameters for calories carbs, fat and protein between the different food groups (dairy, protein, grain and fruit).

Here is the link to the P3 explanation sheet from the Newbie thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...-3-02-2013.pdf

But the guidelines are:
Grains: no more than 30g carb
Fruit: no more than 20g carb
Protein: aim for at least 25g
Dairy: no more than 120 calories
Fat: no more than 15g total

These values are totals, so for example fat may come partially from protein, partially from dairy, partially from grain - but can't exceed the guideline amount in total.

If you are just looking for breakfast ideas to get started on P3, have you seen the recipe thread just for P3 breakfasts? We have already worked out the nutritional values of these recipes to fit the P3 guidelines, so the work is done for you - all you have to do is put the recipes together!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ast-ideas.html
Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #5  

thanks- i have read them but totally overwhelmed. I have my meeting tomorrow so I will just try my best and go from there. thank you so much for your help!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolabs View Post
thanks- i have read them but totally overwhelmed. I have my meeting tomorrow so I will just try my best and go from there. thank you so much for your help!
No problem! If you want a simple p3 breakfast, the one I fall back on most is this:

1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
1 cup strawberries
1/4 cup Bear Naked Fit Granola

2 slices canadian bacon

That takes me about 2 minutes to throw together when I'm in a hurry in the morning.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200.2/135/115

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
No problem! If you want a simple p3 breakfast, the one I fall back on most is this:

1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
1 cup strawberries
1/4 cup Bear Naked Fit Granola

2 slices canadian bacon

That takes me about 2 minutes to throw together when I'm in a hurry in the morning.

Good luck!
As I head into p3, may I ask why you use the bear naked granola vs the alpen muesli? Just trying to figure out what to buy. Granola sounds heavenly but of course is a bit higher in fat, etc.
Debrasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrasb View Post
As I head into p3, may I ask why you use the bear naked granola vs the alpen muesli? Just trying to figure out what to buy. Granola sounds heavenly but of course is a bit higher in fat, etc.
I started Phase 3 this week. I've made granola and muesli (same recipe as granola, just didn't put honey on it and didn't toast it). The granola is a few more grams of carb and fat, but if you've got space in your meal, then why not? It's so nice to have crunchy granola with yogurt and fruit.

I made granola and muesli rather than buying it mostly for cost. There's a recipe in the Phase 3 breakfast thread I used for the granola and then for muesli I made another batch w/o honey, didn't bake it, and added 1/4 cup sunflower seeds. I checked the values on myfitness pal and the recipe is a little less carbs and fat.

Last edited by canic; 05-31-2013 at 12:19 AM.
canic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW207/SWIP190/CW134.6/GW138

Height: 5'4"

Sounds like you are a lot like I was, looking for something easy to prepare. I settled on this breakfast, which is within the Phase 3 guidelines:

-3 oz Better'N Eggs & 3 oz All Whites - mix together and microwave in greased corningware large mug for 1 min. Stir and microwave in 30 sec increments flipping the egg puck between - depending on how much Pam was used its usually done after a total of 2 min.
-Jimmy Dean Fully Cooked Turkey - Patties (2), Links (3) OR Crumbles (1 cup). I usually do the patties and make it into a sausage & egg muffin. Follow package - I thaw in fridge overnight and microwave for 45 sec
-Thomas 100% whole wheat Hearty Muffin OR Arnold 100% whole wheat Pocket Thins (1/2 flatbread - good with the sausage crumbles and I break up the egg puck to put inside(
-1 cup frozen blueberries & 1/2 cup frozen whole strawberries. I put them in containers in advance and move to the fridge overnight. I buy the frozen packages of both, but make sure there aren't other ingredients.
-8 oz of Soy Slender Low Fat Chocolate Milk - I'm lactose intolerant, and since IP, all dairy products affect me I find this one is really good, and works perfectly into the calculation...or you could substitute a yogurt...look for under 120 calories. To fit with my breakfast, find something <= 100 calories, <= 7g fat, & <= 6 carbs

Good luck! I know how stressful it is trying to figure out this breakfast...and I was hoping for something simple - but in the end, this was pretty easy to pull together. Congrats on reaching goal!!
Thirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #10  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
I use the Bear Naked Fit, which is a lower fat granola - it is delicious! The Vanilla Almond has 2.5g fat per 1/4 cup and the Triple Berry has 2g per 1/4 cup.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #11  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Have you tried the alpen museli??? I still have the box I bought 6+ months ago when I started phase 3.... Once was enough. (Probably should toss it by now...)

Like Scorbett, I use the Bare Naked Fit vanilla almond crunch - yum!

My usual breakfast is fat free greek yogurt and blueberries topped with granola, and turkey sausage.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200.2/135/115

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
Have you tried the alpen museli??? I still have the box I bought 6+ months ago when I started phase 3.... Once was enough. (Probably should toss it by now...)

Like Scorbett, I use the Bare Naked Fit vanilla almond crunch - yum!

My usual breakfast is fat free greek yogurt and blueberries topped with granola, and turkey sausage.

Hilarious! This morning I used trader joes reduced sugar triple nut and flakes cereal -- 1/2 cup was equivalent to 1/4 of the alpen, and it tasted good :-)
Debrasb is offline   Reply With Quote