Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #31  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactor View Post
I have been telling myself for years, "You have the rest of your life to diet." Then I woke up one day at 50 years old and I was still fat despite the numerous diets I'd been on in my whole life. It was time to get serious else I wouldn't have much of my life left. I agree that getting an MBA is a huge deal but why does it have to be celebrated with food and drink?
How very true! I think that is the final realization that IP finally brought me: That I don't have to resort to celebration via food and drink. There are other, better, ways. And they are the ways I choose.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I have TWO advanced degrees (1993 & 2011). I really don't think either of them were "harder" than losing the (so far) 80 lbs with 110 planned total. This is a life-changing amount of weight. The amount of work is comparing apples to oranges.
Really love this! Two years ago I faced loosing 80 lbs. The max I ever lost before in my life was 12 lbs and that was in my 20s and done by simply not eating. I never thought I had a chance loosing so much weight. Now I know I can do it and keep it off because now I have the tools to do it. It is hard and needs so much determination and work, but it is empowering.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #33  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinkets75 View Post
So, here's my problem. I have no idea what the dinner is, I'm assuming some kind of meat with sides, but no idea of how it will be cooked. Plus, I would really love to have some wine and enjoy a romantic evening with my husband. How would I do this?
Is it possible to stick to program as much as possible for dinner, enjoy a couple glasses of wine, and then get back on track the next day? I'm sure it would affect my weight loss for week, but what would be my best approach? Any suggestions?
Disclaimer: I'm not on IP, never have been, and never will be.

I'm always baffled at the notion that being on phase 1 is like the mine cart in Indiana Jones Temple of Doom where you're always at perilous risk to go flying off the tracks to your certain demise. This is especially fascinating to me becase phase 4 of the IP diet contains the occasional "cheat day" which one counters by following said day with a phase 1 day.

Would your weight loss be affected for an entire week because of this? Maybe, maybe not. What about your fat loss for the week? Highly unlikely. (There is a significant difference between fat loss and weight loss.) Unless you're planning on eating plate after plate of dinner or the portion sizes where you're going are reminiscent of those from "Man vs Food" it's highly unlikely that dinner and wine will contain so many calories as to erase your net deficit for the week.

Will you be knocked out of ketosis? Yes, most assuredly. Does that matter? No, not in the slightest. What matters is what actions you take the next day, and the day after that, etc... Dispite the nonsense that IP tells you about ketosis, insulin, and pancreas vacations, calories are always responsible for fat loss or gain. A lb of fat contains aproximately 3500 calories of fat. You don't lose fat because of ketosis, you lose fat because your body utilizes more energy than you consume.

Back to your question, yes - it is entirely possible to have a dinner, enjoy a couple glasses of wine, and then get back on track the next day.

Having said all of that, others do make a good point that you can have a good time while staying on plan or very close to it. You may want to stay 100% on plan just to prove this point to yourself.

Finally, you may want to compromise, just eat the meat and veggies for dinner and a single glass of wine, skipping any carbs. Ultimately, as you already know, the choice is yours.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 160/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Trinket, most of the ladies on here will tell u to not do it. But this is the way I look at it. Generally, we r only taking in 800 calories. Ketosis or no ketosis, u r bound to lose weight. I would try to stick to the fewest carbs possible, and enjoy ur night
Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #35  
Started IP 01/31/13

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactor View Post
I have been telling myself for years, "You have the rest of your life to diet." Then I woke up one day at 50 years old and I was still fat despite the numerous diets I'd been on in my whole life. It was time to get serious else I wouldn't have much of my life left. I agree that getting an MBA is a huge deal but why does it have to be celebrated with food and drink?
I'll second this opinion. Celebrating the successful accomplishment of an MBA really has nothing to do with eating outside of your personal eating plan/goals. Is it being used as an excuse? In a way, doesn't that kind of tarnish the celebration if it has a negative effect in other ways? Just giving another viewpoint. In the end, as most everyone is saying...we all need to make these choices for ourselves.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #36  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbehaving View Post
I'll second this opinion. Celebrating the successful accomplishment of an MBA really has nothing to do with eating outside of your personal eating plan/goals. Is it being used as an excuse? In a way, doesn't that kind of tarnish the celebration if it has a negative effect in other ways? Just giving another viewpoint. In the end, as most everyone is saying...we all need to make these choices for ourselves.
I get your point - but I think you have failed to read the entire first post.

This isn't just an MBA celebration this is also the first time with no kids in four years. All in all, I'd say screw the MBA.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

"The "advice" you are giving on the IP board is not IP advice. That is why the reactions are happening.

There is nothing wrong with other diet plans but this forum is for IP so we'll discuss what IP recommendations.
"

Ummmmmmmm there are plenty of people here who do variations of IP and I've never seen anyone given such a hard time about their opinion.

The reality is there are people on this board who do a break, splurge etc... and are successful. I am one of them, so if by going a bit sideways of IP PROTOCOL happens or is chosen, it can be successfully counteracted.

I started IP on Halloween w/e. Went through the holidays, including Easter and Valentine's date without incident. I did what I did on my vacay because 1 the resources weren't there and 2 I hadn't seen family in 4yrs and missed having a glass of wine with my SIL and to relax and celebrate.

Yes, it took me about 2wks to get back in to my routine but seriously, if this diet so controls a person that 1 little cheat or whatever anyone wants to call it, makes you go off the deep end and you lose control entirely and go back to square one, there are a whole lot of other issues involved. I lost 8lbs in an almost 3wk span, so it can be done no matter what protocol says.

Seriously, I hope newbies read these cheat threads and people in general stop posting about planned cheats etc...there is always a sense of animosity from 100%ers who haven't lived it. Almost like SAHM vs working Moms, Breast feed vs bottle. It gets heated and a bit condescending.

Last edited by NinjaNurse; 04-26-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #38  
Started IP 01/31/13

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
This isn't just an MBA celebration this is also the first time with no kids in four years. All in all, I'd say screw the MBA.
I read it. For me, I'm working on life not being all about food. Given that...I think your idea above is a much better way to celebrate with the MBA especially the first time in 4 years sans kids. *snicker*

Last edited by Msbehaving; 04-26-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #39  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbehaving View Post
I read it. For me, I'm working on life not being all about food. Given that...I think your idea above is a much better way to celebrate with the MBA especially the first time in 4 years sans kids. *snicker*
Glad you enjoyed my little gambit at humor!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #40  
Start IP 2/23/13

S/C/G: 187.6/141.5/130

Height: 5ft 2

Thanks to everybody for all the advice. I will definitely think hard about this. Just to clarify, I'm not wanting to celebrate with food. It's my husbands degree, not mine. I mostly want to enjoy my time alone with my husband, and yes a glass of wine or two would be a very nice precursor for the evening! However, what ever my decision, rest assured, wine or no wine I will be enjoying my night alma one with my hubby!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #41  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

I think the real issue is that you haven't had a night alone with your husband in 4 years! Girl! Use those grandparents!!! ; )

Last edited by AlisonS; 04-26-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I'll just add in another couple points that haven't come up yet:

1. If you look at old posts from the days after Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. you will see that a small percentage of posters will say, "My cheat was awesome!" while the vast majority will say "Totally wasn't worth it, the food didn't taste as good as I remembered, I felt sick after, it took me days to get back on track," and so on. Then, of course, there are many posters who, sadly, never got back on track at all.

2. You may plan on only have a glass or 2 of wine but for many people that lowers their inhibitions and they suddenly find themselves eating off-plan foods that weren't intending to. I don't drink (never have, even before IP) so I have no idea if that's true, just passing along information I've come across.

As many others have pointed out, the decision is yours alone!

However, I'll leave you with one last sentiment, "the feeling of waking up the night after staying OP feels a whole lot better than the regret of waking up from a night off-plan."
Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #43  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post

Finally, you may want to compromise, just eat the meat and veggies for dinner and a single glass of wine, skipping any carbs. Ultimately, as you already know, the choice is yours.
Thank you for that little simple tip above. When I am at a point where wine is back on the menu, I'll be conscious about what else I'm eating besides warm yummy bread & butter! :-)

Or, do the warm yummy bread with no wine. :-)

That's what I love about the process - learning to make different choices for myself and for feeling good.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #44  

Height: 5'7"

FOUR YEARS!! Wowzer! Well you go enjoy yourselves then .

My only word of warning (and what someone else mentioned)...experience taught me (twice) that rich, greasy, saucy, etc. type of foods leave me doubled over, cramped up and moaning in pain. So....4 years? Really? Be smart about your food choices so the moans come from a happy place...doh! Have fun and Congrats to your hubby...
Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #45  
Started ip 4/15/2013

S/C/G: 157/150/120

Height: 5'6"

I'm new but I did do my research and found out that alcohol metabolizes faster during ketosis and if you plan to have a few be careful as the hangover is the worst one you would have ever experienced.
Closed Thread