Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173.4/161.6/130

Height: 5'5"

Angry Weight loss stopped...WHY!?

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if there is a special thread for this...but I need weight loss help. I am starting week 6.

Weeks 1-3 I lost 4 pounds per week. I weighed in on Week 4 and lost no scale pounds, but 1.5% body fat and gained muscle.

Week 4 I had started eating steamed vegetables and taking Ibprophen after having had some horrible dentistry done on my teeth (still having trouble eating solids). Anyway, I have since stopped losing weight! I work two weeks on, two weeks off so I haven't had my body fat test since week 4, but I am weighing myself on my scale which is NOT moving. Please help!

Below is a typical day for me:

Breakfast @ 7:00: Crispy cereal pancake or Plain omelet with 8 oz of coffee, 16 oz water, 1 potassium and 1 multivitamin.

Between Lunch: 1 head iceberg lettuce, 12 opz coffee, and 16 oz water.

Lunch @ 12:30: 2 cups raw veggies, 1 Hard boiled egg, 16 oz water, 1 IP soup and some salt.

Between Dinner: 1 head iceberg lettuce, 16 oz water, 8 oz coffee.

Dinner @ 6:00: 8 oz of chicken breast, 1% fat ground turkey or cod; 2 cups raw veggies sometimes steamed (and I usually eat three to four if steamed), olive oil and salt. 2 Cal-mag.

Snack @ 10:00: Chocolate Drink Mix, Cappucinno Drink mix, Jello or pudding. 2 cal-mag, 1 multi.

Throughout the day if I am still hungry I average 1/2 bag of chocolate soy puffs or 1/4 bag of southwest cheese puffs. I might heat a hard boiled egg here and there. I drink 8 oz of smooth move tea in the morning and before bed to help digest. (I used to be a vegetarian and will go back to that once I reach my goal, so all of this protein has really slowed my digestion).

SO the above is exactly what I was doing in the first few weeks! Recently, I have admittedly cheated and occasionally had two cheese cubes (1 cmx1 cmx 1cm) this past week because I was mad, stressed, and craving.

The first few weeks I wasn't exercising, but I went stir crazy and have added in 40 minute walks or 30 minutes of pilates per day. My clothing is visibly looser.

I have been under a lot stress with some financial surprises and the dental work. Those happened starting week 4; and I had my cycle thrown in there.

If anyone has advice and has overcome this obstacle please PLEASE let me know how!

I never exceed the 4 tablespoons of Walden farms or stevia.

I'm desperately seeking help! I want my next weigh in to read 155lbs . I am sitting at 160.4

hellpp!!
GeoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

If you exercise while on Phase 1, your weight loss will slow down. For some, it's a trade off they are willing to make because they like the feeling of exercising.

Stress and inflammation from injury/surgery can also cause water retention which will further slow down the scale.

And your veggies should be 4 cups per day, measured raw. If you are eating 3-4 cups of steamed veggies with dinner you are overdoing it. Cooking veggies REDUCES their volume, so 3-4 cups steamed veg (depending on what veggie you are talking about) could be closer to 4-5 cups of raw measured. Add that to your lunch veggies and you could be eating twice the veggies you should be.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #3  

Scorbett found some of the things I was going to mention...I had questions about the amt of veggies, as well. It is 4 c. raw, whether you choose to cook them or not. I choose to cook most of mine. Raw got old very quickly.

Additionally, Im not sure if I see enough water. If you drink coffee, you have to drink an equal amount of water IN ADDITION to the rest of your water.

The surgery and anti-inflammatories can have a pretty big effect on water weight (inflammation)

Week 4 you had a loss. It wasn't measured on the scale but we measure FAT loss in many ways: scale, measuring tape, body comp. Any of those losses are STILL a loss. So many of us want to use the scale as the only measuring device.

The other thing I'm going to suggest is look at your average weight loss over the time you've been on IP. Isn't it great?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173.4/161.6/130

Height: 5'5"

I usually drink enough water according to my checklist. Almost always 64 oz plus my coffee + water. I didn't list all of the times because I drink it throughout the day in addition to my meals/coffee. I should have added that.

Although, I might need to add in more water (Its hard to cut coffee at work...) to help flush the Ibprophen? I will probably be taking IB for the next 2 weeks.

Eliminating exercise is by far the most difficult challenge of this diet-- for me that is! It was easy for the first few weeks but I to walk or do pilates when I get stressed. I guess I could switch to something else, like a new hobby?

Thank you Scorbett and Lisa for your responses! I will try increasing my water and/or decreasing my coffee AND eliminating exercise again. I will let you know how it goes!
GeoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoChick View Post
I usually drink enough water according to my checklist. Almost always 64 oz plus my coffee + water. I didn't list all of the times because I drink it throughout the day in addition to my meals/coffee. I should have added that.

Although, I might need to add in more water (Its hard to cut coffee at work...) to help flush the Ibprophen? I will probably be taking IB for the next 2 weeks.

Eliminating exercise is by far the most difficult challenge of this diet-- for me that is! It was easy for the first few weeks but I to walk or do pilates when I get stressed. I guess I could switch to something else, like a new hobby?

Thank you Scorbett and Lisa for your responses! I will try increasing my water and/or decreasing my coffee AND eliminating exercise again. I will let you know how it goes!
You don't need to eliminate exercise but know that it may slow your WL a bit on this particular plan. That, coupled with the swelling (inflammation/water weight) from the dental work can be enough to have the scale not moving. You are obviously seeing a change in the way clothes fit so I wouldn't worry. You're losing fat!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #6  
Started IP 01/31/13

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Making sure you are only eating the allowed amounts for a few days make actually help with your hunger.
Msbehaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #7  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoChick View Post
If anyone has advice and has overcome this obstacle please PLEASE let me know how!
I'm desperately seeking help! I want my next weigh in to read 155lbs . I am sitting at 160.4
hellpp!!
The statement of wanting your next WI to read 155lbs..... makes me very nervous. Is there a specific reason you said this? How did you come up with that number?

IP is suppose to be changing their claims about how much men and women will lose per week. It's not always realistic to say that women will lose 2-5lbs (or whatever their claim was!) when there are so many factors involved.

Remember, the weight didn't come on overnight and won't leave that way either. I think it can be "dangerous" to set deadlines regarding our weekly weight loss. What I mean by "dangerous" is that we can set ourselves up for failure. If we expect to weigh x lbs by x date and we don't reach it, we are likely going to feel frustrated, disappointed, discouraged, etc. This could spiral some of us into "giving up" and thinking "what's the point!".

I feel it's much healthier mentally to just roll with the flow and be grateful for each loss - whether that be scale loss, measurement loss, fitting into smaller clothes, positive noticeable exercise changes, etc.

The weight is going to come off when it comes off. Ultimately, we really can't change it so we might as well embrace it (IMHO). We just need to stay OP and know that the IP plan works.

Good Luck! ~Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/148.0/160

Height: 5'11"

You have already been given excellent advice, so I don't have anything to add to that, but I thought I would give you my experience. In the middle of my P1, I went an entire month OP with no weight loss on the scale. At the time. I was frustrated, but reading here really helped me just to trust the process and continue on. I walked 3-5X a week while on P1 because I couldn't give that up for stress relief. I quit weighing for a while because I didn't want to be disappointed. Finally, the weight just began dropping off again and I made it to my goal. I don't know why I went a month without any weight lost, as I did not do anything differently, but it was probably just my body adjusting. I would try to relax, trust the process and never give up! It will happen!
gazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 0/9/40

Height: 5' 1.25"

I really needed to hear the cheerleading here. Thanks for your encouragement to Geochick. I also have been pretty down and frustrated the last 2 days. Partly because I haven't been lurking as much the last few days. (I got my favorite device back so will be here more frequently). I almost caved last nite. DH wanted to go to local spot for a good burger. I felt too weak willed at that time and sent him with my blessings and stayed OP. (Guess that is NSV on reflection). Anyway thanks to the question from Geochick and replies to her....New resolve this am.
Jeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 289 / see tracker / 160

Height: 5'7"

I too have hit a plateau, the exact same weight since March 18th *sigh*

the weather was so nice the last couple of weekts I started walking and I guess this has stopped the weight loss. doesn't help that TOM came and went too
itzconni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #11  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
I don't know why I went a month without any weight lost, as I did not do anything differently, but it was probably just my body adjusting. I would try to relax, trust the process and never give up! It will happen!
Great job for Hangin' in there! I can only imagine how difficult and frustrating it was! So glad you came out the winner on the other side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaner View Post
I almost caved last nite. DH wanted to go to local spot for a good burger. I felt too weak willed at that time and sent him with my blessings and stayed OP. (Guess that is NSV on reflection).
I totally agree that this was a huge NSV. I think you knew that if you went with your DH you would give in and have a burger. You were very intuitive and brave to stay home! Good for you! All those baby steps add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzconni3 View Post
Sorry for your struggle. Have you tried changing anything up? I believe some people have gone to 4 non-restricteds instead of 2 non-restriceds and 1 restricted. Others I think have gone to P2 for a week or so and back to P1. Hang in there. You've come this far, you can see it through. Remember, this too shall pass! Wishing the whoosh fairy visits you soon.

~Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzconni3 View Post
the weather was so nice the last couple of weekts I started walking and I guess this has stopped the weight loss. doesn't help that TOM came and went too
Has ANYTHING changed? Measurements? The way your clothing fits?
If not, you're getting close to what is actually considered a true plateau (at least a month of no movement on any measurement: scale, measuring tape, body comp). If you get to that point, it is time to take a CLOSE look at what you're doing. Is everything 100%? All the water? All the salt/oil? Additional sweeteners that need to go?
Some people can add "extras" like Mio, Torani syrups, etc, others can't.

We're rooting for you!