Old 03-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 202/186.5/170

Height: 5'11

Smile New to this

I just started IP a few weeks ago and so far I have been super happy with the results and my energy level. I feel like I am more energetic, less anxious and thinking clearly, has anyone else felt this way?

I find the most difficult aspect of this diet to be the social one. I feel like my friends think that I am being silly and wonder why I can't have just one glass of wine on Friday night.... Which by the way...I wish I could too! Has anyone had a drink or two in plan, dos you come out of ketosis, mess up your whole weekly loss? Feedback appreciated

Thanks
KristaL32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

I am relatively new, 4 weeks in -34 pounds. I don't seem to have more energy but I work 80+ hour weeks so I am always dragging. I haven't cheated and don't plan to because I think if you do it will be too easy to lose the momentum and cheat again. Good luck
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaL32 View Post
I just started IP a few weeks ago and so far I have been super happy with the results and my energy level. I feel like I am more energetic, less anxious and thinking clearly, has anyone else felt this way?

I find the most difficult aspect of this diet to be the social one. I feel like my friends think that I am being silly and wonder why I can't have just one glass of wine on Friday night.... Which by the way...I wish I could too! Has anyone had a drink or two in plan, dos you come out of ketosis, mess up your whole weekly loss? Feedback appreciated

Thanks
Here's the thing.

You aren't on this diet for anyone else. It is YOUR journey. And it is a BIG one - nothing silly about it! If you don't make a big deal about it, nobody else will. The way I looked at wine/drinks was this: I had NO PROBLEM giving up alcohol for nine months each time I got pregnant, plus for almost a year after each one because I was nursing. If I could do it for my kids, why couldn't I do it for myself? It's not forever, just until I lost the weight.

As far as ketosis/weight loss and alcohol - the thing you need to know is that when you drink alcohol, your body is going to metabolize the alcohol FIRST, no matter what else is going on, including ketosis. That is time that your body COULD be burning fat for energy, that instead it will be burning off alcohol. For me, NO cheat was worth spending one extra minute on Phase 1 than I needed to.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/153/140

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Here's the thing.

You aren't on this diet for anyone else. It is YOUR journey. And it is a BIG one - nothing silly about it! If you don't make a big deal about it, nobody else will. The way I looked at wine/drinks was this: I had NO PROBLEM giving up alcohol for nine months each time I got pregnant, plus for almost a year after each one because I was nursing. If I could do it for my kids, why couldn't I do it for myself? It's not forever, just until I lost the weight.

As far as ketosis/weight loss and alcohol - the thing you need to know is that when you drink alcohol, your body is going to metabolize the alcohol FIRST, no matter what else is going on, including ketosis. That is time that your body COULD be burning fat for energy, that instead it will be burning off alcohol. For me, NO cheat was worth spending one extra minute on Phase 1 than I needed to.
So very well said, this is our personal journey which is HUGE. While some of us have more or less weight to loss, we still all struggle to find the right mix. I have quickly learnt that the better I am at following the plan, the less time I will spend in Phase 1.

I am a wine lover, but have decided that until I get out of phase 1, no drinking for me. Am spending to much money to stay in phase 1 one day longer then needed.
safetylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Above everything else I made a committment to myself that I intend to follow through with. It's a very empowering feeling when you do something you, or others, think you can't do.

If you can't give up wine (cheese, cookie, whatever is your thing) for a temporary time period will you be able to keep the weight off in maintenance?
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #6  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

This is a good thread to read if you are thinking of cheating.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...l-protein.html

You only have another 26 lbs to goal. If you stick with the plan without cheating, you will get to maintenance sooner and be able to have your weekly cheat day.

Someone used to have a signature that said "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." It's something I used to say to myself when tempted.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/start IP 159.8/134.8/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi there - I am new to this also, almost through week 2. I would say what has helped keep me 100% on plan is I really struggled though the first 4 days on this diet. It was really hard for me but I made it through. I don't want to do anything that would put me back to that ! I also figure if I could get through those days without cheating there's no way I will do it now.

Do this for you - no one else! If your friends want you to join in their activities I would stay strong and just have a frank conversation with them as to why you are doing this and how much their support would mean to you. This will also help you build your outside support system in addition to the support thats always available here. Good luck!
Happymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #8  
One day at a time

Thank you so much for all of the feedback ladies. You are all absolutely right. I have actually still been enjoying social events without alcohol, binging on junk food, and feeling terrible the next day. That in itself is a great discovery for me. The pregnancy analogy is great too... The only difficult part is that when I was pregnant people didn't question why I would not have a cocktail....it was a given. This experience has def taught me that I do have more will power than I ever thought possible! I can do this!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:

Thanks
Having a glass of wine or any other cheat will throw you out of ketosis, and sometimes takes a week to get back.

i am a recovering alcohol, so i know some tricks to help me feel like i fit in. When I am on phase 4, maintenance i have cranberry juice in a wine glass. you could do the same except with water and some MIO. Planning ahead and thinking creatively can make it easy.
Stay 100% It is much Easier. When in doubt, just say no and stay on program. so not worth the cheat.
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Above everything else I made a committment to myself that I intend to follow through with. It's a very empowering feeling when you do something you, or others, think you can't do.

If you can't give up wine (cheese, cookie, whatever is your thing) for a temporary time period will you be able to keep the weight off in maintenance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
This is a good thread to read if you are thinking of cheating.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...l-protein.html

You only have another 26 lbs to goal. If you stick with the plan without cheating, you will get to maintenance sooner and be able to have your weekly cheat day.

Someone used to have a signature that said "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." It's something I used to say to myself when tempted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happymomof2 View Post
Hi there - I am new to this also, almost through week 2. I would say what has helped keep me 100% on plan is I really struggled though the first 4 days on this diet. It was really hard for me but I made it through. I don't want to do anything that would put me back to that ! I also figure if I could get through those days without cheating there's no way I will do it now.

Do this for you - no one else! If your friends want you to join in their activities I would stay strong and just have a frank conversation with them as to why you are doing this and how much their support would mean to you. This will also help you build your outside support system in addition to the support thats always available here. Good luck!
Yes, yes, yes!!! Great advice, and love the real cost of cheating. i am going to print that out and hang it in my kitchen
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/184.4/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:

Thanks
I have and I still lost. I just don"t have a restricted packet the days I chose to and I only have one. It sure does hit you after one and I used to be able to drink an entire bottle and be fine. I still stay in Ketosis too. I know this diet is all about not cheating..but I'm human. I did it, I admit it!
Danif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #12  
One day at a time

Thanks Danif, this info will be useful in making decision.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

The other thing to think about is while you are in ketosis it can be dangerous to drink. Anyway that is what I was told. Supposedly you could faint, at least that is what my coach said (her reasoning behind if you have a drink make sure to have a carb...) I know other people too whose coach has said this too because of the danger....anyway I am pretty sure there are differing opinions on this, but thought to put this out there just in case. Also from my coach about getting back into ketosis she figures it could happen as fast as half a day, not a week. I believe everyone is just different though and you don't know how long it will take.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #14  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylunk View Post
The other thing to think about is while you are in ketosis it can be dangerous to drink. Anyway that is what I was told. Supposedly you could faint, at least that is what my coach said (her reasoning behind if you have a drink make sure to have a carb...) I know other people too whose coach has said this too because of the danger....anyway I am pretty sure there are differing opinions on this, but thought to put this out there just in case. Also from my coach about getting back into ketosis she figures it could happen as fast as half a day, not a week. I believe everyone is just different though and you don't know how long it will take.
Hmmm...interesting. When I started my coach emphasized NO DRINKING WHATSOEVER. She was very stern about it. I didn't question it, that was fine with me. I'm not much for drinking, anyway. Maybe the fainting this is the reason.
My coach his OK, mostly nice, but very busy and doesn't always give reasons for the do's and don'ts. She just told me last week that the person in charge of the clinic now says eat mostly green peppers--other colors of peppers should only be eaten 2-3 times per week and the little sweet peppesr that you can buy in a bag, not at all. She didn't give a reason, but I guess it's because they are higher in carbs than green peppers? Anyway, that's one change I'm going to ignore, because I have been eating mostly red, yellow or orange peppers since day 1 and have averaged 2.75 pounds lost per week.
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #15  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danif View Post
I have and I still lost. I just don"t have a restricted packet the days I chose to and I only have one. It sure does hit you after one and I used to be able to drink an entire bottle and be fine. I still stay in Ketosis too. I know this diet is all about not cheating..but I'm human. I did it, I admit it!
Not having a restricted packet isn't actually a trade-off for a glass of wine. There is about a 60 calorie difference between a restricted and unrestricted packet, and about 150 calories in a 6 oz glass of red or white wine. And there are fewer carbs in a glass of wine than in many unrestricted packets (a glass of wine has less than 6g carb).

While there IS an issue with the calorie difference (you are still adding almost 100 calories to your day even with skipping a restricted packet) and increased calories will result in slower fat loss, the REAL issue is the alcohol and the way it is metabolized.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote