Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam67green View Post
Hmmm...interesting. When I started my coach emphasized NO DRINKING WHATSOEVER. She was very stern about it. I didn't question it, that was fine with me. I'm not much for drinking, anyway. Maybe the fainting this is the reason.
My coach his OK, mostly nice, but very busy and doesn't always give reasons for the do's and don'ts. She just told me last week that the person in charge of the clinic now says eat mostly green peppers--other colors of peppers should only be eaten 2-3 times per week and the little sweet peppesr that you can buy in a bag, not at all. She didn't give a reason, but I guess it's because they are higher in carbs than green peppers? Anyway, that's one change I'm going to ignore, because I have been eating mostly red, yellow or orange peppers since day 1 and have averaged 2.75 pounds lost per week.
Yes my coach also says no drinking as that is how ideal protein works, but my coach also knows life happens and there are celebrations etc.. and knows some people will have a drink at some point so that is her advice if you are having a drink. She really emphasizes that it can be dangerous if you don't watch what you are doing.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #17  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 202/186.5/170

Height: 5'11

Thanks again for all the input ladies....off topic have any of you attended a seminar with Chef Verati (sp) He is doing a seminar here on Monday....looking forward too it for new IP recipe ideas.
KristaL32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #18  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danif View Post
I have and I still lost. I just don't have a restricted packet the days I choose to and I only have one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Not having a restricted packet isn't actually a trade-off for a glass of wine. There is about a 60 calorie difference between a restricted and unrestricted packet, and about 150 calories in a 6 oz glass of red or white wine. And there are fewer carbs in a glass of wine than in many unrestricted packets (a glass of wine has less than 6g carb).

While there IS an issue with the calorie difference (you are still adding almost 100 calories to your day even with skipping a restricted packet) and increased calories will result in slower fat loss, the REAL issue is the alcohol and the way it is metabolized.
also you won't be getting the 15 grams of protein that you'd be getting from the restricted packet.
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #19  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
also you won't be getting the 15 grams of protein that you'd be getting from the restricted packet.
The person who posted wasn't skipping a packet in order to have wine, they were talking about having an unrestricted packet instead of a restricted packet. Restricted or unrestricted, the packets contain the same amount of protein. They would still have the same number of packets in a day, just less carbs.

Last edited by scorbett1103; 03-23-2013 at 04:47 PM.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #20  

Great discussion and some really good comments.
I really think it's great to hear from the 100% IPer's and also great to hear from some who choose to not be 100% IPer's. It is a personal decision (to cheat or not to cheat) and we should respect that. I don't think we should value the comments/opinions of one group over another. We are all on a WL (weight loss) journey, but we have to choose our own path. The more input we get from each other, gives us better insight/education in making those decisions that we deem best for ourselves.

Just some other points I thought I'd add.......

Most people who make comments to us when we are on IP, such as "one bite/taste/glass won't hurt you......" are used to people being on diets more like WW (Weight Watchers) or something equivalent. They are use to the issue being about calories and if you have more calories by having a treat, just eat less calories somewhere else or exercise a little more.
With IP, the focus is not the calories as much as being in ketosis.
We have to educate our friends/family on how ketosis works and why getting out of ketosis is not as simple as having a few extra calories.

Why do our friends/family so desire/need us to eat/drink like they are.
I think there can be many factors:
they simply love us and want us to enjoy what they are enjoying
they made something homemade and want us to taste it and approve
they are personally envious of our WL and want to feel better about themselves by seeing that they can get us to make food choices like they are making (most likely poor)
they may want to sabotage us
they want us to relax and enjoy the evening

Can you think of other reasons???

Once you decide what is the best course for you in this IP program, then empower yourself by letting your family/friends know where you stand.
We aren't saying that we will NEVER have this drink or that food ever again. We are just saying that it is our choice to not have it NOW. The drink and food will always be there, even after we reach our goal. In maintenace, we are going to have make choices and restrict drinks/foods as well.
Once everyone realizes that you are serious about this, they will (or should) stop the pressure of asking you to join them.
Remember, the social gatherings can by very much enjoyed without having the social drink/food. Visit, have fun, and enjoy everyone's company - after time you'll come to realize that the drink/food doesn't have to be the focus of the evening and in all honesty really shouldn't be the focus either. Jen
Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
The person who posted wasn't skipping a packet in order to have wine, they were talking about having an unrestricted packet instead of a restricted packet. Restricted or unrestricted, the packets contain the same amount of protein. They would still have the same number of packets in a day, just less carbs.
Thanks for the clarification; I misread!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #22  
Started Jan. 22. 2013

S/C/G: 373/359/273

Height: 5'7"

Am I ever happy to have clicked on this thread!...I have had cheats and still managed to lose some weight however when I first started 9 weeks ago I had no cheats at all....I was diligent. Then one day, I had a get together with girlfriends and had wine, chips etc...I must say I felt good about it as I was looking forward to it. However, when you do not gain weight from a"cheat; mentally you think 'I can cheat and do not GAIN weight" so do you do.....you cheat again. However, when I first started IP; I was all pumped up and said to myself...6 months and that will be the end of Phase 1; I can go without wine, chips etc....I can do this for myself and buy myself a new swimsuit that I do not have to worry about covering myself; I can wear shorts and not worry about looking obese etc...
So coming back to seeing this thread....I had forgotten what I had mentally said to myself...9 weeks ago. Which explains why I have only lost 24 lbs....which is still good as a year ago I would've been at least 24 lbs heavier...!Thank you for the insperation... and I will certainly get my @ss in gear and persevere...I can still do this and continue to make positive changes for myself for the next 14 weeks.
Rachel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #23  
One day at a time

Thanks Jen, I think friends and family will certainly have different opinions on what I am doing and you are right in that I just have to make my own decisions based on what works for me. I might give myself a monthly cheat day if that's what I need to keep motivated on the program, I might not....it's my journey. One day at a time. I can tell you right now that I feel great and do not think I will let anything get in the way of my goal.

Last edited by KristaL32; 03-23-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #24  
IP start date: Feb 18/13

S/C/G: 247/212.7/180

Height: 5'9"

I have been on IP going on 5 weeks now. I lost 19.3 lbs in 4 weeks. On my journey so far, I would say I have diligently stayed on program. However, there was one weekend where I had a few vodka waters with MiO. My coach warned me against it, as your body is so low on carbs, this can be dangerous for the brain as there are no carbs to absorb the alcohol... (not sure if I explained this right). I am hesitant to share this because I really do not want someone to take this as a scape goat to cheat. I didn't gain, I didn't get kicked out of ketosis and I actually lost 5.2 that week. Fluke? I don't know. But I can say that I don't plan on cheating again. The risk is too high and I'm investing far too much money, time and all my willpower into this diet and I do not want to sabotage the amazing results I've accomplished this far!

So as everyone has said, it's up to you what path you take on this IP journey. But it is not recommended for a reason... and if you've dedicated yourself to doing this, DO IT ALL THE WAY & THE RIGHT WAY.

In terms of support from family/friends, I can say I've had my challenges. I'm 25 y/o and most of my friends are single, go out and drink often. I won't lie, I've always been a beer drinker, socially (which has largely contributed to the weight gains over the years). I can say that not all of them are supportive and often try to pressure me into drinking. This is still something I am learning to deal with... I've started saying (to some) that I have a gluten allergy (which eliminates a lot of junk foods out there)... not because I'm lying, but it's sometimes simpler this way.

Not sure if this has helped at all. But I wish you all the best on your journey. The funnest part is seeing the changes in how your clothes start fitting!!!! I have about 4 pairs of jeans I need to give away... TOO BIG! WOO HOO!

ALL THE BEST, FELLOW IPers!!!!
natsprat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #25  
One day at a time

How do I get the little tracker to show up on every post... And the icon for each 5 pounds? Help!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #26  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaL32 View Post
How do I get the little tracker to show up on every post... And the icon for each 5 pounds? Help!
You will be given access to your signature once you have been here for 20 days AND posted 20 times. It looks like you've been here long enough, but you haven't posted enough yet. The signature is where we put tickers and fun stuff like that.

It will show up in your User CP - you will see an option to "Edit Signature" once you've met the criteria.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #27  

S/C/G: IP 140/115/115

Height: 5'1"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaL32 View Post
I just started IP a few weeks ago and so far I have been super happy with the results and my energy level. I feel like I am more energetic, less anxious and thinking clearly, has anyone else felt this way?

I find the most difficult aspect of this diet to be the social one. I feel like my friends think that I am being silly and wonder why I can't have just one glass of wine on Friday night.... Which by the way...I wish I could too! Has anyone had a drink or two in plan, dos you come out of ketosis, mess up your whole weekly loss? Feedback appreciated

Thanks
I have stayed OP since the beginning, I made sure I was ready to give it my all. Including no wine! It hasnt been as hard as I thought, been to a couple of functions, have seltzer with lemon, no one says a thing, they thinks its a cocktail I guess. I just know if I have a few drinks I'll most likely give in to
bad choices, and then the next day have the hangover munchies, just not
worth all the hard work and money at this point. Sure come summer when Im on maintenance and fit, I will treat myself on the weekend to a couple drinks, but for now, 100% is the way to go.
Good luck!
D

Last edited by DRegan; 03-23-2013 at 10:02 PM.
DRegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #28  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

You've been given a lot of great points. I just want to mention too that each time you exercise your will power and stay firm in your intention to stick to the diet plan 100% the stronger that 'will power muscle' becomes. It becomes easier and easier to stick to the plan, and not consider side-tracking yourself. Other options cease to even exist.

On the other hand, once you allow a lapse from the diet plan it somehow seems to open the door for more of them.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 176/152/140

Height: 5'4"

I am new to IP...started one week ago Saturday and have my first weigh in tomorrow. I have been lurking on this website for about 3 weeks...first of all trying to figure out if IP is for me and secondly to follow your suggestions, struggles and successes. So thankful for this thread because quite frankly, the social struggles of this diet are what scare me the most. I have not told many people that I have started IP. My husband has been very supportive, especially for the days I couldn't stomach some of the sample foods my coach gave me my first week. Thanks to all of you who are being honest about their cheats...my only cheat worry is having an occasional beer or two. Your responses to this thread have helped me figure out how to deal with those worries.
musicsmylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
Great discussion and some really good comments.
I really think it's great to hear from the 100% IPer's and also great to hear from some who choose to not be 100% IPer's. It is a personal decision (to cheat or not to cheat) and we should respect that. I don't think we should value the comments/opinions of one group over another. We are all on a WL (weight loss) journey, but we have to choose our own path. The more input we get from each other, gives us better insight/education in making those decisions that we deem best for ourselves.

Jen
Just wated to say thanks for all the great posts/insights this weekend over all the threads. Much appreciated! I totally agree with this comment as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicsmylife View Post
I am new to IP...started one week ago Saturday and have my first weigh in tomorrow. I have been lurking on this website for about 3 weeks...first of all trying to figure out if IP is for me and secondly to follow your suggestions, struggles and successes. So thankful for this thread because quite frankly, the social struggles of this diet are what scare me the most. I have not told many people that I have started IP. My husband has been very supportive, especially for the days I couldn't stomach some of the sample foods my coach gave me my first week. Thanks to all of you who are being honest about their cheats...my only cheat worry is having an occasional beer or two. Your responses to this thread have helped me figure out how to deal with those worries.
Welcome. That first week is hard. I had a real rough time with the samples on the first week. To tell you the truth, I never leared to like the "savoury food". I stuck with shakes, bars, soy puffs. Your tastes will change though so things you may not have liked you might like in a couple of weeks so don't give up yet. I at first struggled with the no drinking thing as well. I managed to make it 52 days and then had a planned cheat night and got right back on program. For me this was a success as I have never stayed on a diet program for that long before. I am now phasing off for a holiday and plan to come back later. Do what works for you! Good luck.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote