Old 01-14-2017, 11:23 PM   #1  

Default Recovery from surgery?

Hi,

I broke my femur back in April requiring 3 screws to be put into my hip. The break pulled the cartilage away from my hip socket, which could not be repaired until the femur break healed (they had to dislocate my femur from my hip socket to fix the cartilage). 4 weeks ago I had surgery to remove the screws and repair the tear. I have been very fortunate in that I've had little pain since surgery, however tonight my hip is in so much pain, I've taken my first Percocet since the procedure and the pain is still really bad. The only different is my diet. Today was my 3rd day on IP. Does anyone know if this diet could be impacting my healing from surgery?

Thanks!
Grace127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/160/150

Height: 5'2"

Oh my. While waiting for someone with knowledge to reply -- you are in my thoughts tonight and I hope you get some rest.
Nightowlrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:46 AM   #3  

Thank you!
Grace127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #4  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

No clue about this - I am completely without any formal medical training. My guess is that your coach would say you must follow your doctor's guidance... Most docs are not smart about nutrition and weight loss.

You need advice from an IP knowledgeable nutritionist who is also knowledgeable re bone health.... Maybe asking your doc for a referral to a nutritionist who can tell you what foods and macros are most beneficial to your bone healing. Then compare to the IP foods and macros and make your own assessment....
Maybe following the diabetic alternate IP protocol that gives you a dairy, a fruit and a grain each day might be a smart shift during your recuperation from surgery. Good nutritionist should give you the data you need to determine this.
Or phase into maintenance for a month or so until you are past the early healing phase.

One thing for sure - bouts of constipation are common for many on IP - Percocet almost always brings on constipation. Have some smooth moves while you are on opioid pain meds, or ask doc for best recommended stool softener to offset that condition.

I commend you for even trying to be on a diet while you deal with broken femur. Hang in and make the most of your physical therapy as you recuperate.

Best wishes for a swift recovery!
:get well: :get well: :get well:
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote