Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225.6/224.2/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Tinnitus? Anyone?

Hi IP'ers. I've been on IP 3 and a half weeks and have had Tinnitus (for the first time in my life) the whole time. It's just getting worse and worse. Has anyone experienced this?
esammy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by esammy12 View Post
Hi IP'ers. I've been on IP 3 and a half weeks and have had Tinnitus (for the first time in my life) the whole time. It's just getting worse and worse. Has anyone experienced this?
Hi esammy. I myself haven't experienced it but DH has suffered terribly for the past 4 years but it certainly hasn't been because he's been on IP. Doctors offered no help but someone at a health food store suggested gingko biloba extract and although he didn't have immediate relief, he's started to have some long periods with no noise whatsoever. He's even started to be able to get some extended periods of sleep again without "the band" playing for him. It's a dreadful condition and I really hope you can get some relief from it.
ipsbest4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

I have tinnitus but it wasn't caused by IP. I have a mild hearing loss and the ear doctor said tinnitus often accompanies hearing loss but they don't know why. So now I have a little trouble hearing people plus I get to hear a high pitched "noise" to boot...UGH!

Sometimes dehydration can cause ear problems. Are you drinking lots of water? Hope you figure out what is causing the problem soon as it is a frustrating problem to have.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #4  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

I have had tinnitus for the past 22 years, it sucks!
FYI, I am NOT an IPer nor have I ever been!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #5  
sas
SAS

S/C/G: 200/200/137

Height: 5.4

I get it on and off and haven't really narrowed down the reason. I did notice it more on ideal Protein and figured it was low blood pressure. I get dizzy too, and sometimes leg cramps.
I just got back on ideal protein and was interested by your post because i noticed it too. I guess I will just have to turn down the radio, and increase the salt. I drink a ton of water. I also need to be better about the vitamins.
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #6  

Hi

I was driven mad by my tinnitus the feeling of being locked in with a constant beating noise was unbearable. I tried using background noise, music playing through headphones to get some release. I was sent for an MRI scan to see if I had something that may be causing it, it came back negative.

I read up on this problem and most websites recommended giving up salt. I was rather heavy handed with the salt and liked the occasional fast foods. I gave up my salt loving ways and within days I had less attacks, touch wood, nothing for months now. I know you probably have been advised by your doctor to cut back on salt, but I wasn't and only found out about the link by searching on the internet. Really hope you find a release from the nightmare of this condition.
blueredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #7  

My Tinnitus I'm sure was caused by an ototoxic drug called "avapro" and long before I was on IP.
http://www.hyperacusis.net/resources...manapril09.pdf
http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/artic...icupheaval.htm

Now the damage is done, I don't know if it's permanent or temporary, but I do think that gingko biloba does alleviate it, I take it several times a week but not daily.
ATeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, esammy. I was wondering if your tinnitus has improved at all? I have been on IP since September and have had tinnitus for the last several weeks. I have read that some causes of tinnitus are associated with rapid weight loss. I am going to the doctor in 8 days, but I would love to know how it came out for you.

Thanks!
FutureFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/ x /135

Height: 5'4"

I was very interested in reading these posts. I have just recently noticed ringing in my ears a couple of times this week. I assumed that it was because I went to a concert 3 weeks ago, even though I wore earplugs. I feel for those of you who have it constantly.
IPRound2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #10  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

I have it too - I've had it for a few years - not sure when it started. It's worse when I have a headache - the other day DH and I were in Stonington Boro at the point looking out over the ocean with the car radio off and it got so loud, that it was driving me crazy. I go to sleep withthe TV on and have the radio on at work and in the car.

My headache dr. told me that it could be caused by over use of over the counter pain releivers. I've cut back on those drastically (now I suffer thru the headaches), but the ringing is still there! I've had MRI's and x-rays trying to find out the cause of the headaches, and nothing abnormal.

The Vermont Country Store has a product to releive it - i haven't tried it, but here's the link. http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...ing_Ears/47115 I think I might get it and I'll let everyone know how it worked. Just read the reviews online for this and they're not great. I'll see what other posters say about their ringing before I spend the $20.

Last edited by Lynnie63; 01-11-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added regarding reviews
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

I recently read that hearing loss can be influenced by the hormone aldosterone, which regulates fluid levels in your body. It may influence tinnitus, as well. So, salt could well be a factor, since IP will change fluid excretion, particularly in the beginning. I am not sure what potassium and magnesium supplements would do. There are reports that potassium ignites tinnitus (google Potassium Gluconate and Hearing Loss for example). I am not an expert on this and can't say anything for or against. IP may also temporally influence your hormone levels (aldosterone is produced by your adrenal glands, so is cortisol) and thereby alter fluid levels and blood pressure.

I myself noticed that I sometimes get tinnitus when I am inflamed, particularly when my sinuses clog.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Having just mentioned potassium, I found this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...reatments.html
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Last week I went to my ENT. He tested my hearing and said it was great and that the ear drum was functioning well. Mine is pulsatile, and worst when I lay down. So, we are doing the watchful waiting thing to see if there is any change.
FutureFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #14  

I had it start one time after a sinus infection. It lasted over a year and then one day it was gone. I went for many tests & the docs couldn't figure it out. Wish I'd have known about some of the things you are all suggesting. I would have tried them ALL!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote