Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #16  

My coach is a. Regional rep. Ill ask on Thurs
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #17  
flutterby120

S/C/G: 157/147/120

Height: 5'

I was told to eat 3 pkts a day; but if I was hungry to eat up to 5 pkts. Which I do...last week it seemed like I was always hungry...so I ate 4 pkts nearly every day. Surprisingly, I lost more weight on the 4 pkts week than I did when I was on the 3 pkt week. Go figure.
flutterby120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #18  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

They could have been referring to the cellulite reduction plan. That is 5 a day and no animal protein for dinner.
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

I've been on four since the beginning and continue with four now. DH was on five for the duration of phase 1.
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
How much do you weigh? I started at 470 and was told I could have up to 7 a day and I did for a while, I needed it. I still lost thirty pounds in the first week.
Wow, you are doing fantastic!!
thin4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #21  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Standard protocol is 3 packets/day, plus an 1 packet for each additional 40 pounds over 200.

Example, 280 pound person should be using 5 packets per day.
My starting weight was just over 280 lbs, and I started at 3 packs. 5 packs, plus all the veggies and your "real" dinner, would be too many calories to do the fantastic weight loss this diet is known for.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #22  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
How much do you weigh? I started at 470 and was told I could have up to 7 a day and I did for a while, I needed it. I still lost thirty pounds in the first week.
You are an inspiration to me. Wow. That is awesome.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
My starting weight was just over 280 lbs, and I started at 3 packs. 5 packs, plus all the veggies and your "real" dinner, would be too many calories to do the fantastic weight loss this diet is known for.
Actually, it depends on starting weight, basal metabolic rate (not really measured at ANY IP clinic), amount of exercise being done, and a HOST of other things...including hormones like cortisol and leptin. Many folks around here do GREAT on 4-5 packs/day, depending on their specific circumstances.
I was on 3-5 the first week and typically 3/day now but add an extra if I exercise
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Just adding to the survey. I was told up to 5 packs and was just over two hundred pounds. My friend who started back in November 2012 and was over 300 was told 3 packs only. Makes me think it is a recent change to the plan..... Forgot to say we go to the same clinic.

Last edited by ladylunk; 01-31-2013 at 03:21 PM.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Thumbs up Fairly new. Perspective.

This is long...and purely my experience and oppinion.
BUT..I see a lot of variation in what we are being told. However; I know the main responsibility for success with this program lies with me. With that being said...I see gaps either in knowledge/training or ability of some coaches and perhaps some centers to dispense accurate guidance. And the center I go to has given me a decent number of issues for me to recognize some of what they are doing could be incorrect! Reading what some of the other IP participants on this site are being told...confirms this is not isolated. This is, after all a business ... to someone. It might be aligned with health care, but the products are expensive, the information on the IP site is guarded. Anything that makes money for someone else, opens a potential door for someone else's objective to overtake my own!

My coach has made mistakes calculating my total weight loss, and has made chart transcription errors. (All in only three weeks...)

Today I asked for a copy of my WI chart so I can make sure I agree with and can manage my numbers. Several fairly simple questions I have asked for clarification on, measuring vegetables..( she told me cooked)....and portion sizes for the animal protein...( she told me 4 whole eggs or 8 oz of animal protein....). Both of these done regularly would lead to more carbs and calories...and impact loss. Also I need Gluten Free packets, and was given incorrect info on that last week...I think she does not know what gluten is. Starting today, I tell her what I want ...and don't rely on her verifying the GF issue.

So far in three weeks I am at just under a 9 lb weight loss...so this works...but not because of consistent good coaching and help I've received.

A few things I've learned on my own involve:

1. Time taking thyroid meds. I was told by the coach soy "does not interfer with thyroid replacement meds.." Just google that...it sure does!! Since H20 intake on this diet is so high...I wake up between 2-3 AM and keep the thyroid meds by the sink and take my meds then. This was also suggested to me years ago by an endocrinologist...This is working for me....it relieved my feeling cold all the time. I feel sure the meds are working again. That of course also has jilted my metabolism. I lost 4 lbs this week, after a 2 week slow start. If I start to see backsliding...I'll head of to my internist for a TSH/thyroid panel to discuss if dosage should be adjusted while I am doing this. I don't want to add soy as a restriction just yet....If I can get through a few months with out having to do that I think it will be easier. Don't want to have to order anything else online. The simplicity of this program is what is attractive to me.

2. I am GF so the snack bars and restricted IP foods are NOT on my protocol. They are interestingly enough, higher in calories...so with in the week...I have a bit of wiggle room to ever so slightly boost my animal protein at dinner. If I am ravenous...and a boiled egg white or another 1/2 cucumber does not fix it...I am gingerly adding an extra ounce of chicken or what ever animal protein is my flavor of the day. As I said...I lost 4 lbs.... almost 2X what I'd lost the previous 2 weeks.

3. I retain water...some of us do. Some of the packets have way high sodium....!!! I am also restricting those myself to only a 2 packets during the entire week.

4. I've been 100% compliant ...when I verify it all on my own. Listening to the coach....well....

5. I plan to be on this for about 6 months...( going forward then with a lifetime adjustment to eating...) I feel like the lack of variation in what I can have will not be the end of me. This is an end to a means! And I am the master of that end.

So, I feel it's imperative to use our own intelligence and common sense...knowing what I am putting in my mouth...even if it is in an IP packet....is what is going to determine my success. At some point it will all come down to that anyway. A huge variable is everyone's metabolism and physical status are different. Unless we take responsibility or at least share understanding ourselves ...we are vulnerable to someone else's motives trumping our own. If anyone...even the coach tells me something that sounds tooooo good to be true...it probably is wrong.

This is a great program, but I see many people have found they can not give up control of the process to the company, coaches or center in order to meet their goal.
My opinion is also that the products and the theory of how this works is sound.....but buyer beware.

Again this is my opinion and based on my initial weeks experience.

Last edited by 65X65; 01-31-2013 at 03:41 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #26  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

I think some of the confusion is because additional packets are required for people with LEAN BODY MASS that is over 200, not total weight. My friend's husband started out with a total weight of over 400 but his lean body mass was over 200 so he was required to do at least 4 packets a day from the very beginning. I was told that in the beginning I could have an extra packet if I got hungry, but I have never done that.
AlisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #27  

Default Individual adjustments -common sense

Hi and Yes Alison, I assumed that there would be differences in the program for those with special needs, especially at the onset of P1. That makes a LOT of sense considering a participant that has a long way to go or has other health issues.

However; there is still too much discrepancy in basic fundamental instruction from coaches. That is disturbing to me considering how expensive this is. It makes me wonder about the credentials of those providing the service, the level of initial training and how updates to the program are being handled.

Nothing in life is sure except change; and how change is handled within this business is critical to all of us on the program to ensure a best possible outcome for each person. Because of the amount of money we IP consumers shell out...IP as a company needs to be a bit more stringent in what their distributors are saying and doing for the participant. I'm saying..this is not Avon we are buying! Why something deviates from the normal protocol should be crystal clear to a client who is being provided instructions that differ from the basic info sheet given initially. Routine questions should be answered with basic information that is credible and meets uniform standard criteria.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #28  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

The thing to remember about Ideal Protein coaches and clinics is that they are franchises - NOT employees of Ideal Protein. They essentially get the rights to use the name and sell the products, that's it. Some coaches DO take it seriously, attend trainings, ensure they have updated materials....but it's not required. That is why there is a discrepancy between coaches and clinics. Some take it seriously, others get set up to sell the product and then wing the rest of it on their own.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #29  
Started IP Aug 4th, 2012

S/C/G: 410/234/230

Height: 6'1"

The number of packets/day is determined by your initial measurements and your Lean Body Mass. Many people have a LBM under 200 which calls for the normal 3 pkts/day, but those with a LBM over 200 will require more protein to maintain that muscle mass. I started the program at 404 lbs with a LBM of 255 which required me to start on 4-5 pkts/day. During the first two weeks it is also permitted to add an additional packet to curb hunger and cravings. I never did 5 pkts in a day, but started at 4 and am now down to 3 and still losing. It is also recommended to add an additional packet if you cannot get in a meat serving or must skip your meat serving for religious or personal reasons in order to maintain the necessary protein requirements.

Cheers!
DakotahDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #30  

Default I recognize this...but it would appear IP would care about the

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
The thing to remember about Ideal Protein coaches and clinics is that they are franchises - NOT employees of Ideal Protein. They essentially get the rights to use the name and sell the products, that's it. Some coaches DO take it seriously, attend trainings, ensure they have updated materials....but it's not required. That is why there is a discrepancy between coaches and clinics. Some take it seriously, others get set up to sell the product and then wing the rest of it on their own.
...but it would appear IP would/should care about the perception. That is marketing 101. Perception is reality! Be retired for 4 years on 3/1/13...but some of this basic stuff is in my blood.....!

I've begun to assemble grids and sheets for myself, researching nutritional data and calculating the portion sizes for the commonly used animal proteins and low GI vegetables in my own diet.
There are some sites with very easy to use nutritional calculators out there, and some even convert oz to cups/diced. Consistency is important to me...and I'm a stickler for consistent compliance...Hee-hee..there were some folks happy when I retired.......others appreciated it and I still get emails from staff letting off steam....! Se la vie!

Last edited by 65X65; 02-01-2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo