Old 10-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5''

Unhappy My coach thinks I'm cheating.

I had my first weigh in this past weekend. I started at 180lbs and I weighed in at 178lbs. I lost 1 inch on my chest and a total of 2lbs, but the rest remained the same. :/

My coach was suprised I didn't lose more weight and asked me if I cheated during my first week. I didn't cheat at all. She asked me if I was about to start my monthly menstral cycle and I told her I'm scheduled to start in a few days. She said that may effect the reason why I didn't lose more weight during my first week.

I've heard a person loses the most weight their first week on the program. Well, if that's the case, then this is going to be a very slow weight loss process for me. I'm a bit bummed out because I see all a lot of your WI status in your signature line and I'm no where close to losing it at the pace that you are. I know everyone is different, but I'm still bummed.

Any ideas on how I can get a bigger weight loss reading at my next weigh in?

Last edited by FreeBird3; 10-29-2012 at 06:14 PM.
FreeBird3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #2  

Congrats on a 2lb loss. I understand the disappointment, esp after seeing some super big losses on the boards. You can't tweak the diet. Each body is different and will do different and very goofy things. You may have bigger losses different weeks (esp b/c of upcoming TOM). Just stay on plan and do everything on the page. You'll get results. And remember the tortoise won the race. Slow and steady wins. Embrace the tortoise!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #3  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Sometimes you may be "cheating" without knowing it. Do you keep your food journal? If so, maybe show it to your coach next week and see what they say. It could be a matter of not realizing that you are eating more restricted vegetables or packets than you should be.

Don't be discouraged, a 2 pound loss is still something to be proud of!!! Keep up the great work!
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #4  

I know how you feel but chin up. It will get better for you. I lose weight very slowly too. I have to be satisfied with whatever I lose. I would guess that your TOM has alot to do with it. U will be told to make sure that you are measuring everything exactly. I have yet to just guess on the amt by sight. Hang in there and see what the end of the month looks like for you
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

You are fine, I also am a slow loser. I have hypothyroid and post meno, that keeps the losses low, but at least I lose and so will you! Congrats on losing 2 lbs
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #6  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

There have been a few folks on the board (fourstubbs most recently) who had low week 1 losses followed by a nice week 2 loss. Some folks take a little longer to 'adjust', but honestly - the fact that TOM is around the corner is a HUGE factor, but it's only water retention which is flushed after that darn Aunt Flo leaves! Keep it up - and WELCOME!!!!!
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #7  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

LizRR is correct. i had a whopping .6 loss my first week! Don't lose heart. Look for bigger losses coming soon. Just don't give up! All of those losses, small & large, however sporadic, add up!!!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Don't for a minute think that 2 lbs your first week is "slow" or any indication that you're cheating.

You lost more than 1% of your starting weight, and that's an incredible acheivement for any weight loss plan, even a very strict one.

There are many reasons a person (especially one under 200 lbs) might lose 2 lbs or less per week (even for the first week). Just a few:

1. The most likely of course is PMS/TOM. I've always (even at my lowest weight of 155 lbs) gained 5 to 14 lbs of just water weight - even on a low-carb PSMF the weight gain averages about 8 lbs. I usually gain the weight 3 to 5 days before the period starts (so if I were in your shoes, I'd be guessing that my water weight was conceiling up to 10 lbs of actual loss).

Since this is the most likely, just stay calm. Drink your water, and stay on plan. You'll probably see a more substantial loss next week - but even if you don't 1% of your body weight is not at all shabby. It's more than most people accomplish, really.

2. If you've been dieting or eating very healthfully before starting IP, your first week loss isn't going to be as dramatic as someone starting from a more "average" or unhealthy diet. Yes most people lose the most weight during the first week, but that's only if they weren't dieting before they started the new plan. If you've been being very careful about what you've been eating, IP week 1 isn't really your first week 1 (if that makes sense).

3. Likewise, if you've been eating mostly whole low-sodium, low-carb, and/or low-sugar foods, the switch to prepackaged foods can itself cause water weight gain which can mask losses initially. It'll come off, just be patient.

4. And even if none of the previous issues apply, 1% of your body weight is still a damn fine weight weight loss.

I know these accusations can be heartbreaking when you know they're not true. Just be aware that many of us here believe you, because we've experienced it ourselves. Just trust in the food plan, and keep at it.

Also, the "first week" isn't always the best week. For many of us, especially those of us with metabolic issues, it often works in reverse. The first week is the slowest, and we start to lose better once we're on a diet that works with our metabolisms rather than against them (and PSMFs and ketogenic diets like IP tend to work better for us).

Hang in there, you're not alone. There's a lot of us here who don't lose as quickly as others (and sometimes we ourselves) think we should be able to.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-29-2012 at 11:57 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #9  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Height: 5'8"

Please don't be discouraged! I had the same reaction - Hoping for one of those fabulous first-week losses, and it didn't happen. There's a million things that can affect it. If you lost inches, you lost fat! Just hang in there, let your body adjust, and focus on all the good things (like how much better you feel, right?) and ignore the dang scale . . . she's a fickle friend!
GlacierGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #10  
SMB

S/C/G: 205/189/140

Height: 5'4"

I never had the first week drop that everyone speaks of! I have consistently lost 3ish pounds per week and I'm lovin' it! Stick with it, you'll see the benefits soon!!!
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #11  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I'm wondering why you believe your coach thinks you're cheating? Asking someone if they cheated, and then following up with a logical question about TOM indicates to me that their first throught was cheating and when you answered no they moved to the next question.

Obviously I wasn't there but if you had said your coach asked you three or four times if you cheated that would be a good indication they don't believe you. Asking once and moving on indicates trouble shooting.

As for how you can get a better loss next week I think Kaplods pretty much covered every angle but I would stress to you that what you should put your focus on is following the plan, getting adequate sleep, and not worrying about the things you can't control.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 211/181/155

Height: 5'9"

Drink TONS of water- even before you go to bed. I wake up so refreshed and I feel so much better when I guzzle that 16ozs wth my bedtime vitamins. I am drinking about 80 ozs a day and always have water available. I too was hoping for a 10 pound loss one week and it just isn't going to happen. I am happy with 4 pounds and will still reach my goal in January.

Historically, I would gain 5-8 lbs of water just before my period and drop it right after. Well, right now I am heading into the right after part and I can feel a difference- If I didn't put the water weight on then I should drop faster now right? I will find out!!

Don't be discouraged- be diligent and careful with what you put in your body. Water water water!

Keep us posted!

Niki
Nitney72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

No big first week(s) for me, either. So far, I am the poster child for the "average" weekly weight loss for females. I have lost exactly 3 pounds each week for week 1, 2, 3 and 4. I thought I was going to gain during TOM week as I retained a few lbs of water for several days before and after, but then it dropped right before weigh in, so depending on when weigh-in falls, TOM can definitely make it look like slower weight loss or even a gain. No worries, though, when TOM leaves, so will the water retention lbs. Keep at it, and you'll do great! You ARE doing great!
Nolawhodatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Not a female but I haven't had any huge drops...fairly average for a guy...coming up on 15 lbs 3 weeks in. The first week was higher but mostly water weight imo.

I think starting body size has something to do with it as well. The suggestion of looking at it as a % is a good one...keep your head up.
tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote