Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #1  

Default Is Phase 2 really necessary?

The only difference between phase 1 and 2 is replacing one IP item with upto 8oz of protein. So, I'm just curious why do we really need this step before moving on to phase 3?

Has anyone gone directly to phase 3? If so did you see any problems?
sandosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/123.4/115

Height: 5'2

I did some reading, the whole program is all about training your pancreas.

Baby steps.

My two cents
sonyainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I believe there has been some discussion about the protocol changing to eliminate P2 - but here's my feeling on it:

We spend (hopefully) the longest amount of time in maintenance. We spend the SECOND longest time frame in the simplicity of P1. In P3 you suddenly have to count carbs, fat, protein, etc and plan big breakfasts, AND lunches AND dinners. Is there any dietary benefit to P2? probably not any more so than P1. Is it helpful to have a short in-betweener phase that moves toward the heavy meal planning in P3 - with less structure but more "real" food? I can see a definite benefit there. For me, I will probably NOT skip P2.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #4  
started IP 10/22/12

S/C/G: 185/143/120

Height: 5'4"

I just started IP and researched a lot of plans before choosing this one. I like the idea of four phases and will do phase 2 when I reach that point.
alittlelessme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #5  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

And I thought Phase 1 was painful LOL - just what I want - more food planning. Sigh.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
And I thought Phase 1 was painful LOL - just what I want - more food planning. Sigh.
LOL don't worry - LizRR did most of the work of P3 breakfasts for us Her thread is a gold mine!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #7  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

My coach held a Phase 3/4 workshop, this is my 3rd hand info as she explained the importance of phasing off properly. The goal of the phases is to gradually get your body adjusted to the higher calories so you don't jump straight from a 900 calorie/day famine to storing the 2000 calorie/day feast. Also, gently increasing the insulin levels your pancreas creates is a focus, as the worry is if you go from 0-60 in terms of insulin production you can restart the carb craving swings that got many of us into Phase 1 to begin with. My coach does NOT use scare tactics, but she does believe very much in the program having successfully gone through it herself and truly cares about all of her clients and wants us to succeed.

The Phase 1 to 100% goal is focused on weight loss at ~900 calories/day. The low carb gets you into ketosis, you start turning fat into ketones->which in turn get turned into glucose, lowers insulin which reduces cravings, rests the pancreas, etc. The protein is set at a sustainable level to maintain current lean mass, and the fat is kept low so that the body burns your body fat to create the ketones, not the dietary fat.

The Phase 2 at 2 weeks is designed to gradually get your body used to increased calories at ~1100 calories/day. 'Real protein' has more calories per absorbable protein than an IP packet. People typically still lose a few lb during this time as an IP packet is replaced with 'real protein'.

The Phase 3 at 2 weeks is designed to continue to get your body used to increased calories at ~1500 calories/day and also introduce carbs & healthy fats as the pancreas is 'gradually awakened'. People typically gain a few lb during this time as the glucose reserves are rebuilt in the blood stream, balancing out the Phase 2 losses (so you should still be maintaining your Phase 1 goal weight). High intensity exercise can be done now!

Phase 4 is for life as you maintain your goal weight at ~1800-2600 calories/day (depending on each person). Our clinic has a schedule where in Phase 4 we meet weekly in month 1, 2x/week in month 2, then every month for the rest of the first year, then meet yearly thereafter (more if we need/want to). She said it is totally normal to gain a few lb over a year as life goes on and we try to adjust, so the reboot accountability is recommended.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #8  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
LOL don't worry - LizRR did most of the work of P3 breakfasts for us Her thread is a gold mine!
Lol...you know my engineering mind had a field day balancing all those numbers!
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #9  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
Lol...you know my engineering mind had a field day balancing all those numbers!
Yes!!! I love you and your number crunching mind!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #10  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Yes!!! I love you and your number crunching mind!!!
hey now, don't you be hittin' on MY finacee!! hahaha
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #11  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
My coach held a Phase 3/4 workshop, this is my 3rd hand info as she explained the importance of phasing off properly. The goal of the phases is to gradually get your body adjusted to the higher calories so you don't jump straight from a 900 calorie/day famine to storing the 2000 calorie/day feast. Also, gently increasing the insulin levels your pancreas creates is a focus, as the worry is if you go from 0-60 in terms of insulin production you can restart the carb craving swings that got many of us into Phase 1 to begin with. My coach does NOT use scare tactics, but she does believe very much in the program having successfully gone through it herself and truly cares about all of her clients and wants us to succeed.

The Phase 1 to 100% goal is focused on weight loss at ~900 calories/day. The low carb gets you into ketosis, you start turning fat into ketones->which in turn get turned into glucose, lowers insulin which reduces cravings, rests the pancreas, etc. The protein is set at a sustainable level to maintain current lean mass, and the fat is kept low so that the body burns your body fat to create the ketones, not the dietary fat.

The Phase 2 at 2 weeks is designed to gradually get your body used to increased calories at ~1100 calories/day. 'Real protein' has more calories per absorbable protein than an IP packet. People typically still lose a few lb during this time as an IP packet is replaced with 'real protein'.

The Phase 3 at 2 weeks is designed to continue to get your body used to increased calories at ~1500 calories/day and also introduce carbs & healthy fats as the pancreas is 'gradually awakened'. People typically gain a few lb during this time as the glucose reserves are rebuilt in the blood stream, balancing out the Phase 2 losses (so you should still be maintaining your Phase 1 goal weight). High intensity exercise can be done now!

Phase 4 is for life as you maintain your goal weight at ~1800-2600 calories/day (depending on each person). Our clinic has a schedule where in Phase 4 we meet weekly in month 1, 2x/week in month 2, then every month for the rest of the first year, then meet yearly thereafter (more if we need/want to). She said it is totally normal to gain a few lb over a year as life goes on and we try to adjust, so the reboot accountability is recommended.
this is explained so well!!! thank you!!
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
hey now, don't you be hittin' on MY finacee!! hahaha
"secret looooveeers yeah...."

LOL
Old 10-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #13  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

I am embarrassed to ask this, but have spent the last hour looking...can one of you post the link for the most recent P2 sheet? I thought I had saved it a couple months ago, but apparently not. All the protocol sheets in the stickies are way outdated from what I can tell.

Thank you!
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #14  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

There is no science anywhere that I am aware of that backs the ideas presented here regarding insulin and the pancreas. Literally none that I have seen.

Here is some simple logic to prove my point. If you eat more solid protein and one less IP packet where the amount of protein ingested is equal you'll actually be secreting LESS protein because IP packets are heavy in whey and low in fat. Look it up if you don't believe me. Whey spikes insulin far more than any other kind of protein. Consumption of fat lowers the amount of insulin released.

To take it a step further if keeping insulin levels low mattered so much the IP diet wouldn't use whey protein so heavily in their packets. It would be more whole foods based or utilizing other forms of protein in their packets. Guess what the cheapest kind of protein is by a lot? Whey concentrate. The main ingredient in every IP protein packet.

So ... what is the point of phase 2? If I had to guess it would be about the psychological effects of easing into maintinence by eating more solid food and less liquid food.

Yes - science is fun.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #15  

for phase 3, what if you dont want to go back to foods such as whole grains (the toast in the morning) ie a paleolithic or keto diet

the only foods i have interest in bring back into my life are some fruits and greek yogurt. and maybe cheese
southern is offline   Reply With Quote