Old 10-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #16  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmheart View Post
I'm glad they turned out better this time! I know you have been strugling with your new cooking skills, but your doing great. We've all had our flops

As to a cooking show, it's funny you mention it because I was going to suggest you check out "How to boil water" on food network. It's a cooking show that gets down to the basics. Thought it might be helpful. Let us know if you need more help
Oh I'm sure I'll have more cooking issues. It's kind of funny that it took IP to get me to start learning to cook!

I made DELICIOUS egg salad for dinner - gonna have it as lettuce wraps! NUMMY!! :-)

I'll have to check out that show for sure! Thanks for the (many) tips.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #17  

S/C/G: H 225/ S 205/ C 197.5/ TBD

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
Oh I'm sure I'll have more cooking issues. It's kind of funny that it took IP to get me to start learning to cook!

I made DELICIOUS egg salad for dinner - gonna have it as lettuce wraps! NUMMY!! :-)

I'll have to check out that show for sure! Thanks for the (many) tips.
Your welcome!
warmheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I make eggs that way. Those instructions sound mostly right. Did you let them come to a boil? I always put a lid on while they're starting to boil to build up some heat. Then turn off the heat and set the timer for 20 minutes. They've come out perfect every time, you never get a green yolk!\

Oh, and for fresh eggs, make sure you let them cool in ice cold water. I usually drain them right in the pan, shake them around a bit to crack them and then start running cold water in the pan. I'll fill and drain it a couple times until the pan and eggs are cold. Then I'll grab some ice and throw it in to get super cold. Once they're cool, peel them right away. If you wait to peel them later, they are MUCH harder to peel. Also, peeling them while running cool water on them helps get water between that membrane and loosen the shell.

Last edited by sahmmommy2; 10-19-2012 at 11:16 PM.
sahmmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #19  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmommy2 View Post
I make eggs that way. Those instructions sound mostly right. Did you let them come to a boil? I always put a lid on while they're starting to boil to build up some heat. Then turn off the heat and set the timer for 20 minutes. They've come out perfect every time, you never get a green yolk!\

Oh, and for fresh eggs, make sure you let them cool in ice cold water. I usually drain them right in the pan, shake them around a bit to crack them and then start running cold water in the pan. I'll fill and drain it a couple times until the pan and eggs are cold. Then I'll grab some ice and throw it in to get super cold. Once they're cool, peel them right away. If you wait to peel them later, they are MUCH harder to peel. Also, peeling them while running cool water on them helps get water between that membrane and loosen the shell.
I did get the dreaded green ring. :-( I let the water keep boiling for 20 mins - didn't want to take a chance on the second batch being undercooked.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 271/201/130

Height: 5' 5"

The instructions from my mother which has turned out perfectly cooked eggs my whole life and probably hers as well. Place eggs in a pan completely cover with water w/1 tsp baking soda. Bring to a rolling boil. Place lid on pan and turn it down to med-low (on my stove a 3) simmer 20 minutes.

The baking soda makes even fresh eggs easier to peel.
chrismprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

I do mine like the initial instructions except for one critical thing...I let mine boil for 5 minutes with the lid on. Once they have boiled for 5 minutes, I remove them from the heat and let stand for 20 minutes. Perfect eggs every time.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

To avoid the green ring, as soon as you take the pan off the stove, pour off the hot water and either plunge them into a bowl of ice water or I find putting them under running cold water will also do the trick. The idea is to cool them quickly for no dark ring.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #23  

Height: 5'4"

You can also just do it in the oven, I intend to try this soon:

http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/201...d-cooked-eggs/
karikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #24  

S/C/G: H 225/ S 205/ C 197.5/ TBD

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by karikitten View Post
You can also just do it in the oven, I intend to try this soon:

http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/201...d-cooked-eggs/
Very interesting. I think I'll give this a try!
warmheart is offline   Reply With Quote