Old 10-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/158/120

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

Default Rhubarb?

So I bought some rhubarb and it's about to go bad -- I need to do something with it fast! I made it in the microwave once, in some water and splenda, and it wasn't the delicious pasty goodness I was described. After boiling that thing in the microwave for what felt like forever, it still wasn't very soft.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do with it? Should I cook it, then puree it in the food processor? I would love some ideas, so these veggies don't go to waste!
NoirStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #2  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

http://pickyourown.org/rhubarb_freezing.htm
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Here is my rhubarb recipe collection:

Rhubarb Jello
1/2 c. stevia
1 c. water
A few drops red food coloring
4 c. rhubarb, peeled and diced
1 (3 oz.) pkg. strawberry Jello, dry
Boil 5 minutes. Peel and dice the rhubarb. Put in the stevia and water. Let come to a boil (I like my rhubarb cooked soft). Then add one 3 ounce package dry Jello right out of the box. Stir and let cool and set.

Rhubarb gelatin
boiled up some frozen rhubarb and let most of the water evaporate, then added some strawberries and cooked until tender, mashed it with a fork until blended. I think the correct ratio is 1 whole tbsp gelatin per two cups liquid, so try 1 cup cold rhubarb/strawberry mash to 1 tbsp gelatin, let it dissolve, then 1 cup of the warm mash, plus some sweetener. I used stevia packets. The flavor combo of rhubarb and strawberry is amazing... I'm going to try it with the WF strawberry jam

Rhubarb/Strawberry Dessert
2 cups of rhubarb cook until soft add a touch of WF Strawberry Syrup and a slight dash of WF Maple Syrup it is Delicious!!!
Also, the rhubarb counts as 2 cups of veggies
Crumble the maple oatmeal over the top and bake it in the oven and u can have rhubarb crumble for lunch

Rhubarb upside down cake
I beat up two egg whites till frothy, put in a pinch of sea salt and a scant 1/8 tsp of baking powder and a tiny bit of vanilla. Then mix in the crushed cereal. Pour over cooked down rhubarb.
and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

I put frozen rhubarb into brie baker and sprinkle a bit of Splenda on it and put in microwave two minutes; stir it up and put it back in for another minute.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Pour cereal mixture over rhubarb and put in oven until it browns nicely about 20 minutes.
The hardest part is to leave it alone long enough to let it cool enough to eat, it smells so good.

Lizzr Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
IP Crispy Cereal
2 Egg Whites
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Rhubarb
WF Strawberry Spread or Sweetener of choice
Directions
Cook Rhubarb
1. Put rhubarb in microwave & oven safe container - microwave for ~5 minutes. For reference, I use frozen rhubarb in a corning ware dish.
2. Mix up with a fork, add sweetener, and microwave for an additional 3-5 minutes until the rhubarb get cooked down and 'mushy'. Mix up again with a fork when finished.
Mix Cake Batter
1. Crush the Crispy Cereal in the packet, I use a rolling pin.
2. Beat up two Egg Whites - I use the whisk attachment of my immersion blender to get them extra frothy.
3. Add Baking Powder and Vanilla, then mix in the crushed Crispy Cereal.
4. Pour over cooked down rhubarb and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Rhubarb flatbread
You can also do this with an oatmeal pkg. I used maple oatmeal with 2 ounces of water and just put in over the rhubarb. I don't think I added anything else but haven't made it with the oatmeal for a while a cup of cooked rhubarb (mashed up), about 1/4 c of egg whites (I think that's 2 egg whites), 1 scoop of the protein powder, 2 packets of stevia powder, and a good shake of cinnamon (which I am now obsessed with putting in everything). I wasn't sure how sweet that would make it, and I didn't want to taste raw egg whites, so I just baked it and figured I could always sprinkle more on later. Then I spread it out to about 1/8-1/4", baked in a 350F oven until it looked brown, then flipped it over and kept baking until it looked brown and crisp.because the oatmeal is a restricted and the cereal isn't.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
cut up some fresh rhubarb, added some WF strawberry jam and a little water, zapped it in the microwave for about 1 1/2-2 minutes

RHUBARB "PIE”
Rhubarb (3-5 stalks)
1/2 TB (more or less to your taste. 2-3 tsp is average) Apple Pie Spice (Cinnamon, Nutmeg, & Allspice) (amount is up to you. I use a lot of rhubarb and like a heavy cinnamon taste.)
2 packages sweetener (Truvia/ Splenda)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
Optional: 1 TB Sugar-Free Vanilla Syrup (DaVinci/ Torani)
Optional: Spray of "I can't Believe its Not Butter"
DIRECTIONS:
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 C
2. Spray glass pan with "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter" or other approved non-stick spray
3. Cut Rhubarb into small pieces
4. In a bowl, mix Rhubarb, sweetener, vanilla, sugar-free syrup and spices together.
5. Place mixture into pan and back for approximately 10 minutes (more or less if you want a bit of crunch (less) or smooshy (more... my fave)

I have also used sugar-free Raspberry syrup on this to balance the sour and give a different taste.

But this is total comfort food treat for me and an excellent way to get in more of your required vegetables without eating yet another salad.

Rhubarb Jello
100 ml of water
500 ml of rhubarb
3 Tbsp Splenda (or to taste)
1 Package Ideal Protein Raspberry Jello
Preparation
In pan on stove, stew chopped rhubarb with 100 ml of water and Splenda. In a separate bowl, prepare Raspberry Jello as directed on package. Combine stewed rhubarb with jello & place in refrigerator. Can be served warm or cold.

Rhubarb Crisp
Preheat oven to 350 Spray a small dish with Pam ( I use a brie baker) Put about a cup cut up of Rhubarb in. Add a package of splenda or sweetner of choice Microwave for 2 minutes, mix it and if not tender give it another minute Mix a packet of IP oatmeal with about 2 ounces of water. Pour it over rhubarb and put it in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.

Rhubarb Cake
Prepare Rhubarb as for crisp Crush an unopened packet of crispy cereal with a rolling pin Beat two egg whites until frothy Add pinch of salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder; 1/4 teaspoon vanilla Fold in the crushed cereal Pour over the rhubarb mixture Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown

RHUBARB GINGERSCOTCH WHOOPIE PIES!!!
1/2 cup rhubarb, (diced in 1/2 inch or smaller pieces) tossed with 1 tablespoon stevia
1 package Ideal oatmeal
1 package Ideal butterscotch pudding
1/8 cup rolled oats
1/4 tsp sea salt
sprinkle cinnamon to taste
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ginger from the tube
one egg white, slightly whipped
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp almond roca SF syrup
* If needed…enough water to get a cookie dough texture (i used 1/2 cup)
Directions
Toss rhubarb with stevia to coat and let sit while making the cookie batter.
Combine dry ingredients. Once all dry ingredients have been well mixed stir in the egg white, vanilla, almond roca syrup and rhubarb pieces and any juices from the rhubarb.
then add water to get cookie dough texture. i ended up using 1/2 cup water.
Spray your cookie sheet pan lightly olive oil Pam spray and place 12 cookies on sheet. I rolled them into little balls and then flattened them slightly using my fingertips...i dipped my fingertips into water to keep them from sticking to the cookie dough!!
Bake at 325 for 5-10 minutes or desired degree of moisture. Test center of cookie with toothpick to see if baked.
Allow cookies to cool slightly on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
you can eat them like this....6 cookies = 1 serving....

OR

make whoopie pies using wf marshmallow

Rhubarb Cheesecake
one cup of rhubarb
Cook the rhubarb until mushy. Blend it with NY cheesecake pudding . Add heaping tsp of WF caramel dip
and 4-5 oz water. Blended it until smooth and then put it in the freezer, stirring a couple times until cold and frosty and it was yummy!

Rhubarb Jam
1 bag frozen Rhubarb ~4c chopped (or fresh when in season)
2 tbsp WF Strawberry Spread
1 envelope Knox Unflavored Gelatin
1 cup Water

1. Place frozen Rhubarb in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
2. Stir with fork, add 2 tbsp WF Strawberry Spread, Knox Gelatin, 1 cup water.
3. Microwave an additional 2 minutes, mash with fork/blend with immersion/puree in blender/etc until desired consistency. Add additional WF Strawberry Spread if desired.
4. Let set in the fridge.

*I always have a bowl of this in the fridge for 'sweet tooth emergencies' - it is a PERFECT fruit fix!
*The gelatin gives it a 'jelly' texture and a collagen boost as well - great for the skin!
*One envelope Knox Unflavored Gelatin adds ~24 calories from 6g protein
*This can be added to puddings, smoothies, IP ice cream, Crispy Cereal Pancakes, Waffles - anywhere where a fruit addition would be appropriate

Rhubarb Compote:
2 servings
2 cups frozen rhubarb (I buy mine in the frozen fruit section of Whole Foods)
¼-1/3 cup water
1-2 dashes of sea-salt (optional, but deepens flavor)
20 drops NuNaturals Stevia
Enough splenda to finish sweetening to taste (liquid is better, less carbs than powder)
Cinnamon or Pumpkin Pie Spice (optional, but both enrich flavor a lot)
Directions:
Place all ingredients into a sauce pan and cook over medium-hi heat until rhubarb disintegrates into a compote. Cool and serve warm or cold. You cold technically eat all if it for your 2 cup, but its so rich, I usually only eat about half, and focus on other veggies for the remainder of my quota for the day.

It's Not Easy Being Green Mousse

In food processor:
Puree 2 cups spinach and 2 cups cooked rhubarb
Add:
16 oz Silk Tofu
2 Tbs Lemon juice
1 Tbs raspberry syrup (sugar free)
6 pkts Stevia (or sweeten to taste)
1 pkt Knox gelatine

Pour into two containers (like Rubbermade, or a cute jello mold)
Chill until firm.

This makes two servings.
WingnutandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

Height: 5'4"

What an awesome rhubarb collection! Thanks for sharing that!
rofl306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #5  
Restart 12/29/13

S/C/G: 172/160/135

Height: 5'2

Wow! I think I'm inspired to try some rhubarb now!
RN4Babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 146/120/105

Height: 5'0" on a good day :)

Holy rhubarb, Batman! Thanks for that collection, Molly!
ablever is offline   Reply With Quote