Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/249/200

Height: 5'11"

Default New to IP with Questions

Hi all,

Today is my first day on IP. I've been reading this forum for quite some time now, both when trying to find a suitable plan for losing weight to get fit, and then when trying to learn about Ideal Protein from those who are doing it. So, thanks in advance to all of you for helping with the process, and for providing such inspiring stories of your experiences!

I have a few questions, and a couple of concerns, that were not (yet) addressed at either the seminar or the first coach sessions. Please see below my stats followed by these items:

Sex: Male
Weight: 249lbs
BF% (body fat): 27%
FFM (fat free mass): 181lbs
BMI: 32 (I think - doing this from memory)

Goal weight: Not sure. The clinic I'm going to has been very vague on identifying a target. Intent is to see how I'm doing as body fat reaches acceptable level.

1. When measuring quantity for veggies and protein, is this weight cooked or uncooked?

2. Have read conflicting views on coffee, and not sure I expect this to be cleared up here, but is this accepted if served black? I like to have about 3 cups a day.

3. Sea salt. Is the 1/2 tsp in addition to what you might have during the day, say when adding to grilled meat or fish? (Likewise with oil.)

4. The big concern I have is that coach has put me on 5 IPs daily + dinner, with option for 6 if hungry. This seems like a lot. Should I worry or just go with this for a week and see how it plays out?

5. Lack of clear target, or goal, weight. Is this normal? I feel like this would help me stay focused.

Anyhow, those are a few of the questions and concerns I have. Sorry for the long post -- I'm looking to clear my head and have a good start!

I hope to stick around on this forum as I go through the plan, as it has been incredibly motivational!

Thanks again and have a great day, all.

thedela
thedela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160.2/138/140

Height: 5'6"

I've posted my anwers in bold.

1. When measuring quantity for veggies and protein, is this weight cooked or uncooked? Veggies raw (2 cups worth), protein cooked (8oz worth)

2. Have read conflicting views on coffee, and not sure I expect this to be cleared up here, but is this accepted if served black? I like to have about 3 cups a day. You can drink coffee, but you need to add an additional glass of water very every cup you drink

3. Sea salt. Is the 1/2 tsp in addition to what you might have during the day, say when adding to grilled meat or fish? (Likewise with oil.) My understanding is that it's total for the day, including when adding to the food you're preparing.

4. The big concern I have is that coach has put me on 5 IPs daily + dinner, with option for 6 if hungry. This seems like a lot. Should I worry or just go with this for a week and see how it plays out? If that is what your coach has put you on, then I would follow it. However, typically coaches add 1 additinal packet not 2 or 3.

5. Lack of clear target, or goal, weight. Is this normal? I feel like this would help me stay focused. If you feel you need a target then you should set one. People often set a target at the beginning and then adjust as they get closer to goal.

Good luck!!
missymoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

My comments.

My dh -almost same stats as you-started with 4 packets and is now down to 3 he has gone from 265 to 240 with minimal effort. He does exercise, and will occasionally add protein in the form of eggs or tuna, but that was at the advice of our coach. Most days we eat the exact same things, and I am 100 pounds less than he is.

I drink black coffee. Just make sure to keep your water up.

As for the salt, if you don't eat the soups, which have quite a bit of sodium, you need to make sure to use the salt liberally. Low carb diets can cause low blood pressure as the body flushes the system. The salt helps keep things normal. If you feel weak or dizzy you probably aren't using enough salt.

Good luck!
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

My coach never set a goal weight either, as it really is all about a healthy body fat number, and not some number on the scale which really doesn't tell you anything. That said, I think most of us know in our head what we might like to weigh. If you do then go with that, but understand for most of us that number does change the closer you get. Best of luck on IP; it's a great diet.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #5  
IP Newb

S/C/G: 195/195/140

Height: 5'4

My coach set a goal my first meeting and it was way under what I want....i went in for my measurements the next week after just starting and he was like 'Oh, that goal weight won't be for you....you are already very muscular!!!' So it's a moving target. He set me at 130 but as a mother of a young child and a social life, that's not attainable for me. I'm happy at 135-140 so we will see.

I thought it was 2 C veggies raw and 8oz protein raw (approx 5-5.5 oz cooked)

Coffee is no big deal, i drink a cup or two and use IP RTD vanilla to sweeten. I get plenty of water in to cover it.

That does seem like a lot of packs BUT i'm no coach.
Aimiloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #6  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Of course I had to post the link to my Goal Weight Equation!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4433238-post40.html
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/249/200

Thanks, all. Day 3 now, and early days I know but so far so good. Having a bit of trouble with that 5th IP. It just seems like I'm running out of time and then not hungry (coach says not to eat after 8pm). Got it in the first night, but not last night, and going to try again this evening.

Still a little confused on some things but staying on protocol. There seems to be a wide variance on what coaches will tell you, and also among tips and guidelines shared on this site. Do coaches receive standard training from Ideal Protein so that they can deliver a consistent approach to the plan?

Only question I have at the moment is, if not hungry is it best just to stick with the coach's recommendation (in my case, having the 5th IP)?

Thanks very much and good luck, all!

thedela
thedela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #8  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedela View Post
Thanks, all. Day 3 now, and early days I know but so far so good. Having a bit of trouble with that 5th IP. It just seems like I'm running out of time and then not hungry (coach says not to eat after 8pm). Got it in the first night, but not last night, and going to try again this evening.

Still a little confused on some things but staying on protocol. There seems to be a wide variance on what coaches will tell you, and also among tips and guidelines shared on this site. Do coaches receive standard training from Ideal Protein so that they can deliver a consistent approach to the plan?

Only question I have at the moment is, if not hungry is it best just to stick with the coach's recommendation (in my case, having the 5th IP)?

Thanks very much and good luck, all!

thedela
You can probably call your coach and ask if you should skip it. I think the protocol is for 3 packets and a 4th is allowed the first week if needed.

I'm not sure if the protocol was supposed to be different for men. I would think if you aren't hungry, skip the 5th packet.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 100 to lose

Height: 6'2"

My clinic didn't push a goal weight, either. It wasn't even brought up. They focus more on body fat percentage. They have a medical grade handheld body composition analysis thing, and test my body fat/lean mass/hydration every week. It's been really enlightening. My lean mass has held steady at 170 (I'm super tall for a girl). I don't feel like I can pick an arbitrary goal weight til my lean mass starts to shrink. The BMI chart says my max "healthy" weight is 194, but I'll have to lose a good bit of lean mass in order for that to be realistic. Instead, I'm shooting for 25-28% body fat.

Last edited by DaisyLA; 08-30-2012 at 04:42 PM.
DaisyLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #10  

Height: 5'2"

when I first started, my coach also didn't have me pick a goal wt. Friends ofmine that went to a different coach have gotten different messages, so I am not sure how consistent the training, if any. My coach and I looked at the BMI and where I would like to be as well as a size of clothing, rather than a wt. I picked a weight myself, which I can adjsut as I get closer.
5 packets seems like alot to me a well. I started out with 3 packets and add a 4th on the days when I run.
ddpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote