Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #91  
Started IP 4/13/2012

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEJEWEL View Post
Good Morning! So my weigh in today made me smile...though "only" 1.2 pounds, I am in the 160's, and that is a HUGE milestone for me. it took me years to get there last time I lost weight, my body would just hang on to the 170's. So now I am really excited to see 165 and dare I say the 150's!

One crazy thing since doing IP, I was down to having my cycle maybe once every 3 or 4 months, since starting IP in June, I have had it 4 times, and this week my hot flashes seem to have reappeared...sigh...I am hoping those go away. Anway I just thought I would throw that out there since this is the 50+ thread. :0

I am going to look into the coconut oil for the memory, great tip. I take DHEA currently, and I take herbs for my hot flashes and that had been working I may up them.

Okay to work I go...have a great day everyone!
Congratulations on breaking down the barrier and making it to the 160s! I think there is a definite hormonal impact to all these weight gain/loss/plateau situations. We women of experience have a lot to deal with on top of all the "regular" challenges, but look at us rocking this program!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Good Morning! So my weigh in today made me smile...though "only" 1.2 pounds, I am in the 160's, and that is a HUGE milestone for me. it took me years to get there last time I lost weight, my body would just hang on to the 170's. So now I am really excited to see 165 and dare I say the 150's!

One crazy thing since doing IP, I was down to having my cycle maybe once every 3 or 4 months, since starting IP in June, I have had it 4 times, and this week my hot flashes seem to have reappeared...sigh...I am hoping those go away. Anway I just thought I would throw that out there since this is the 50+ thread. :0

Awesome! Yes you dare say the 150's, just right around the corner!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #93  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Cindy (Delgen) - Congratulations on reaching GOAL!!! That is awesome

Molly - looking forward to hear about your new chicken recipe. Gotta say, I'm getting a bit bored with my dinner proteins. Was used to mixing in cassaroles and pasta dishes throughout the week at dinner.

Newlady - Welcome! I began IP at the end of May, with a goal of losing 60 - 65 lbs by Thanksgiving. I really think I'm going to make it, and believe you will achieve your goals as well

RE: Argon Oil - I would love to try it, but when my VIP researched it, he said it costs over $40 p/bottle, so have to pass on trying that. I did purchase the Jergen's Skin Firming lotion though the other day. Hope that will work on it's own. And I need to remember to put some plain gelatin into my shakes every day. I think it's the Biotin that has been upsetting my stomach so bad.

RE: Coconut Oil - soundsd like there are some wonderful benefits to using it. Do you use it just like any oil for cooking? Does it change the flavor of dishes? Thank you for info! Love this thread

Shoban - Congrats on the big loss! WTG!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #94  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

good morning GOLDEN GIRLS!!!!!!!!

its another rainy day here in the south....making it so hot and humid!!! i really am looking forward to a little cooler air!! maybe its the menopause...MOAN-opause!!! saw this and thought i'd share!!

hope all you beautiful ladies have a fantabulous day!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
When the scale hit 200+, I made up my mind to do something about it - and here I am!! Happy to have found IP and all of the wonderful people here!
good morning lizzy!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
Susan you are fabulous, and you are doing SO great. I believe you will make it to goal. I know I hit a road block at about the 8th month mark both on the scale and in my head. Those two months off mainly maintaining really helped me a lot and now I'm back on phase 1 to reach goal. I could so relate when you shared the story about watching football with friends. How many times would I hear about some guy that was "really big", and he weighed the same or less than I did and was much taller.
aww thank you dana, lovely lady!!! one day i won't be a massive linebacker!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkmaine View Post
Hi I'm Nancy - 51 I've also come to a epiphany that my happiness or comfort level I guess is tied to food.
hi Nancy...i can so relate to what you said. when we had our trip earlier this year to england i was so frustrated as i had just started IP and all i could do is fret over what i wasn't going to eat while abroad!! i wish i had started IP after my trip. i am having to change routines, even stopped seeing a few friends because all they want to do is go out to eat. none of our friends are health conscious and most are overweight but don't even like me to mention eating healthy. i think its time for new friends and new habits!! i wish you all the best!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMaZu View Post
Yes! This will be an amazing thread!
I raised 4 kids
We women of a certain age have special struggles for sure, but on the positive end, we bring decades of life experience to our IP journey.
Barbara
hi mamzu!!! you are so right about women of "our" age!! and our certain struggles!! but WE ARE STRONG!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPath View Post
I am INNNNNNNNN! Fabulous fifties!!!!! How nice! Great idea! Thank you!!!!
hi newpath...how goes the new year at school???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskywyoming View Post
Hello, Brenda here. Thanks Susan and Chloee, I have the midriff that would put Santa Claus to shame Some women are pears and some apples. I am an apple.
yeah...i am a pear!!! uggg!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post

I felt it was hopeless; I would be stuck like this.

I was in my early 60s and was thrilled with two pounds a week. My coach was NOT. She was convinced that EVERYONE should lose a minimum of 3 pounds a week or they were cheating. So, she was convinced I was cheating and was very cruel and demoralizing. I have next to no self esteem anyway and that was devastating.
molly....i am so glad you are not hopeless anymore!! i was like you, resolving to be heavy the rest of my life. But now we are on the right track with some good friends who are supporting us and encouraging us online!! we can do this!! I believe in YOU!! gf!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Quote:
I look at my highschool pictures I actually was small and cute, but I never saw that.
when are you going to add your lovely photo??

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPinOKC View Post
Rainbow, we could be living our lives from the same script. Thanks for posting your experiences! I don't post very often, but you are a great example for me!
aww thank you. i appreciate that so much. its hard sometimes, facing reality of the path that lead us to where we are now.

Quote:
I have to say though thanks to IP, I feel and look SO much better at 55 than I did at 50.
Quote:
LOVE it! Well you know they say that 50 is the new 30! And the way we all are going I may actually end up looking better and healthier in my 50's than when I was in my 30's
well dana...i can't wait to say that too dana!!! 50 and fabulous here i come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgen View Post
[B]
I reached my original goal at WI today...135, and I'm at 28 BMI. I would like to be at 25. But I'm not sure I could get there without a lot more work. So my coach and I agreed that I will stay on Phase 1 for about 2 more weeks and see what happens.

IP is something I take (like a medicine) to keep me healthy, emotionally and physically, every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgen View Post
Rainbow, you are amazing! Luv You, GF!!!
congrats on meeting your original goal!!! must feel totally amazing!!!! i need to get the mentality of taking IP like a medicine for my well-being!!! love you too gf!!! WE GOT THIS!!!

Quote:
I did read that keeping your skin moisturized really does help when dealing with loose skin. The argan oil is a great idea. I also use coconut oil. I just put it on my skin before I step out of the shower and blot myself dry. The only problem is every time I smell the coconut oil I start craving an Almond Joy bar.
its funny....i nevr really cared for coconut taste until IP!! i always loved the small but now i like the taste and have started using coconut oil too!! yum!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
..also, use organic, virgin coconut oil daily for my memory. A friend told me about the book, "Stop Alzheimer's Now" and in it, coconut oil is the top supplement to stave off neuro-degenerative diseases (alzheimer's, parkinson's, ALS, etc.). haven't been diagnosed with any n-d diseases but my memory is weak at times and increasingly so. So have been using coconut oil for 2 months and in the past 2 weeks have noticed improvements in several areas of recall (short term recall, long term recall, still get tripped up on finding the right word when speaking). Anyway, I mention all this thinking it may help some of my fellow WWWW Fab 50+ IPeeps.
this is GREAT to learn!!!! thanks for letting us know!! i love all of the amazing wise women here!!! i am learning so much!!

Quote:

welcome to the fabulous 60's!!!! way to go!! my cycle is all out of whack since starting IP...its been visiting nearly every week. kinda frustrating but i am learning to deal with it. the hot flashes come and go...but i am always always much colder in my body temp!! i was always colder than the average person. i read somewhere that people with a higher body temp have a higher metabolism and people with a lower body temp have a lower metabolism. that could explain how DH can eat whatever and never gains weight, but me, if i am not actively WORKING HARD AT LOSING weight, i slowly gain, regardless of what i eat. i have never been able to maintain any weight since having my kids. always either slowly gaining or trying hard to lose, no in-between.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #95  

Height: 5'2"

Greeniris, you mentioned that one of the supplements was causing you stomach problems. I had the same problem and figured out that it was the multi vitamin. I could not even keep it down.( sorry TMI) I had to go back to the only kind that I can take which are the Gummy Vitamins. They have carbs but they are the only choice that I have. Multi's have always had that effect on me but I thought that I'd give the ones from IP a try ,but no luck. My coach doesn't approve of the gummy vitamins but I figure it's better those than nothing at all!
Good luck trying to discover which one is the culprit!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #96  
Auntie Susie

S/C/G: 201/159.8/130

Height: less than 5 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post

my heart goes out to those of you dealing or having dealt with cancer.
STRONG AMAZING BEAUTIFUL SURVIVING WOMEN!!!!!!!
Amen sister!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #97  
Auntie Susie

S/C/G: 201/159.8/130

Height: less than 5 feet

What a wonderful thread, Dana!! I am at work on a slow day perusing everyone's stories and feeling very humbled by all you have gone through in your lives and yet you have not let it keep you down. You have all risen above the trials and tribulations life has thrown at you and grown so much in the process. I am humbled and awed at your successes!!

I am Susan ...a wife, auntie and nurse who will be 56 in November. I have a lifetime of terrible eating habits that didn't catch up with me until my early 30's when I remarried the man of my dreams, after two failed marriages in my twenties, and we settled into our sedentary lifestyle and continued to "feed" each others bad food choices.

I had two miscarriages and a lifetime of undiagnosed depression to add fuel to the fire of my low self esteem which kept me fat and "un" happy. I'm also an only child and death with the stress of my elderly parents and their advancing years and increasing health issues. Another "reason" to keep that eating machine going.

Like many of you I tried every diet out there and failed, failed and failed again, a set up for more self deprivation. I was the fat funny nurse at work making fun of her weight...and at less than 5 feet tall every ounce of that weight showed! Just when I was cleared for lap band surgery my doctor mentioned a patient of his who had success with a "protein diet" that he knew nothing about. I did lots of research and found an IP seminar and the rest, they say, is history. I do struggle some weeks...I still crave my chips and salty snacks but overall I'm pretty proud of me for the almost 40 pounds I've lost. I feel so much better and have gone down several pant sizes which is terrific. People have noticed my weight loss and I have a hard time accepting their compliments because I'm only halfway to where I want to be but I smile and say thanks.

I look forward to hearing all your stories and getting to know all the great over 50 women out there.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #98  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebaughman View Post
Hi all, I am 71, so I think I am the oldest so far on this thread. I was going to a center, not Dr associated, and quit that center when they gave me a hard time about using a few alternatives. They would get their order in on Tuesday afternoon, and I weighed in on Tuesday morning, so the selection of foods to chose from was really bad. I am in the process of trying to get an appointment with the Dr at another clinic in the same town but so far no luck. I guess I will try again tomorrow. That place is about 40 miles away and the next one is about 55 miles away. Maybe I can weigh in every other week.
I was trying to do this without a coach, but found that I need the accountability piece. I lost 53 pounds so far and am about 1/3 of the way there. I hope I can get back on with a clinic. The first available appointment at this clinic is September 4th. I think I will call in the morning and make the appointment and see where it goes. If I can get back to losing on my own before that, I may just go it alone.
Thank you Dana for startng this group.
Welcome and a big congratulations on your loss of 53 pounds. Fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsprin View Post
Great idea for a thread!! another 50+ here====56 this past July. Where has the time gone? Is it rushing by for all of you also? I'm new here but can't get enough of this Ideal Protein board. You folks are amazing and so willing to share your experience. In my 3rd week and feeling very well. Feel I'm getting more comfortable with the routine. And.....the recipes...ahhh...thanks everyone for sharing!!!
I hear you on time rushing by. Kinda scary.

Quote:

I am going to look into the coconut oil for the memory, great tip. I take DHEA currently, and I take herbs for my hot flashes and that had been working I may up them.

Congrats on making it into the 160's. I took my summer break while in the 170's and now that I'm back on phase 1 I'm trying really hard to get into the 160's. I think it's been about 20 years since I was there, I can't wait. However my body always fights me when it's time to enter a new decade on the scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu3 View Post
Hi Everyone!! I'm another 50plus.....that would like to join your group! I am currently using WonderSlim. I have 3 boys 14,16,18... so I'm pretty busy...........including hot flashes & all !!! LOL!!!
It's nice to meet another mom with other teenage boys at home. I can barely handle my one 14 year old boy, and you have three of them! You are my new hero. :cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1956 View Post
What a wonderful thread, Dana!! I am at work on a slow day perusing everyone's stories and feeling very humbled by all you have gone through in your lives and yet you have not let it keep you down. You have all risen above the trials and tribulations life has thrown at you and grown so much in the process. I am humbled and awed at your successes!!

I am Susan ...a wife, auntie and nurse who will be 56 in November. I have a lifetime of terrible eating habits that didn't catch up with me until my early 30's when I remarried the man of my dreams, after two failed marriages in my twenties, and we settled into our sedentary lifestyle and continued to "feed" each others bad food choices.

I had two miscarriages and a lifetime of undiagnosed depression to add fuel to the fire of my low self esteem which kept me fat and "un" happy. I'm also an only child and death with the stress of my elderly parents and their advancing years and increasing health issues. Another "reason" to keep that eating machine going.

Like many of you I tried every diet out there and failed, failed and failed again, a set up for more self deprivation. I was the fat funny nurse at work making fun of her weight...and at less than 5 feet tall every ounce of that weight showed! Just when I was cleared for lap band surgery my doctor mentioned a patient of his who had success with a "protein diet" that he knew nothing about. I did lots of research and found an IP seminar and the rest, they say, is history. I do struggle some weeks...I still crave my chips and salty snacks but overall I'm pretty proud of me for the almost 40 pounds I've lost. I feel so much better and have gone down several pant sizes which is terrific. People have noticed my weight loss and I have a hard time accepting their compliments because I'm only halfway to where I want to be but I smile and say thanks.

I look forward to hearing all your stories and getting to know all the great over 50 women out there.
Hi Susan and welcome. Congrats on making it to the halfway point, that's great. I hear you on being short and having oz. show. I'm barely 5'2, and in reality I've probably shrunk some myself (all the women in my family do). I'm also a total pear shape, and I think that's why women my weight can wear smaller size clothes then I can. When you're taller you can get away with more, but us shorties can't hide a thing.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #99  

Good morning everyone. You all look fabulous...

I think my scale is taking a break for a few days. I gained a lot of weight while on my last vacation, but lost all of it within a week of being home and back on phase 1. I think this week this 50+ fabulous body needs a break from the big up swing and then back down again. In the meantime I'm hanging in there, and just anxious to get to the 160's. Can't even barely remember what the 160's felt like it's been so long.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 200/160/145

Height: 5'7"

Dana - you get stuck at the ten pound increments, I get stuck in the middle of each one - 195, 185. Right now it's been stuck at 185 for over 3 days. I've been 100% so I know it's not that. I'm 62 (really? really?) so I'm a guessin' that those years have something to do with it. This too shall pass. When I get to the 170s you will hear me hootin' and hollarin' all the way to Texas! It's been awhile since I've seen those!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #101  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Hi SkinniMini! Thanks for the thoughts on what is upsetting my stomach. I too thought of the vitamins first, as I've had problems with other vitamins in the past, but have taken the IP ones for 2 months with no problems. It was after I added both Biotin and, hmmm, now I can't think of the other one I added (did someone mention memory problems??? sheesh!), within a week of each other that the problems began. I'll check when I get home what that 2nd supplement is. I looked them both up and neither were supposed to have this as a side-effect. But I've always had to be careful with meds/supplements.

I realized earlier this morning that if I have a nice 'whoosh' by Thurs morning, I could make it to 2/3 the way to my goal!

jebaughman: I have to drive over an hour each way to my clinic, and only go every other week typically. I do use quite a few alternatives as well, but I haven't told them that. I like the accountability of having an 'official' WI, getting measured and seeing how my BMI & fat % are coming along.

Last night my VIP & I ate at Applebee's, and they were very accommodating with my special requests. As good as the steak tasted, I'm afraid to look online to see if/what it was marinated in!

Have a good afternoon all!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #102  

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
Hi SkinniMini! Thanks for the thoughts on what is upsetting my stomach. I too thought of the vitamins first, as I've had problems with other vitamins in the past, but have taken the IP ones for 2 months with no problems. It was after I added both Biotin and, hmmm, now I can't think of the other one I added (did someone mention memory problems??? sheesh!), within a week of each other that the problems began. I'll check when I get home what that 2nd supplement is. I looked them both up and neither were supposed to have this as a side-effect. But I've always had to be careful with meds/supplements.

I realized earlier this morning that if I have a nice 'whoosh' by Thurs morning, I could make it to 2/3 the way to my goal!

jebaughman: I have to drive over an hour each way to my clinic, and only go every other week typically. I do use quite a few alternatives as well, but I haven't told them that. I like the accountability of having an 'official' WI, getting measured and seeing how my BMI & fat % are coming along.

Last night my VIP & I ate at Applebee's, and they were very accommodating with my special requests. As good as the steak tasted, I'm afraid to look online to see if/what it was marinated in!

Have a good afternoon all!
Are you taking your vitamins with food? I know my daughter often has a hard time with her vitamins unless she takes them after eating a meal, and sometimes even then they can bother her.

I use some alternative products too as both my daughter and I are on IP, and that can get really expensive. I don't tell my coach and she doesn't ask. It works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodmomma View Post
Dana - you get stuck at the ten pound increments, I get stuck in the middle of each one - 195, 185. Right now it's been stuck at 185 for over 3 days. I've been 100% so I know it's not that. I'm 62 (really? really?) so I'm a guessin' that those years have something to do with it. This too shall pass. When I get to the 170s you will hear me hootin' and hollarin' all the way to Texas! It's been awhile since I've seen those!
I'll be waiting for the hootin' and hollarin' then.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #103  
Started IP 12 Apr 12

S/C/G: 270/179/170

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlady View Post
I have been checking this sight out for a few weeks. I live near Panama City Beach in a small town Wewahitchka. I had gastric bypass 10 years ago and gained 60 pounds back. Turned 51 and everything has been changing with my body. Long story short I go to the Dr. tomorrow who has the diet in her office hoping all is good so I can get started on it. All of you are so amazing. Best of luck to all of you. I will be 52 next month.
Hi there we'll be going to the same clinic. I live in Panama City. Welcome to IP and 3FC!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #104  

S/C/G: SW 210/ CW 190/GW 140

Default Closet Dieter

Hi Everyone

Just thought I would share this....do you tell everyone you are on the IP Program right away....or do you wait for a while until someone notices your weight loss?
I am asking this because like most of you I have been on every kind of diet going and I don't want people sort of rolling their eyes or asking me constantly how much I have lost.
I usually just tell folks that I'm cutting back. Maybe when I get closer to goal then i will probably tell them all about IP.

BTW.....I'm 56 and been on the program since Apr/2012. I went on vacation and gained 9 lbs but went right back on program when I got back home....lost it all in the next 2 weeks. Now if I can just get my butt in gear and exercise more and maybe speed up the weight loss process. I have about 50 to go....I'm hoping to have it almost gone by Christmas.

Sharon G.
Hope everyone is have a terrific day
Old 08-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #105  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPookie View Post
Hi Everyone

Just thought I would share this....do you tell everyone you are on the IP Program right away....or do you wait for a while until someone notices your weight loss?
I am asking this because like most of you I have been on every kind of diet going and I don't want people sort of rolling their eyes or asking me constantly how much I have lost.
I usually just tell folks that I'm cutting back. Maybe when I get closer to goal then i will probably tell them all about IP.

BTW.....I'm 56 and been on the program since Apr/2012. I went on vacation and gained 9 lbs but went right back on program when I got back home....lost it all in the next 2 weeks. Now if I can just get my butt in gear and exercise more and maybe speed up the weight loss process. I have about 50 to go....I'm hoping to have it almost gone by Christmas.

Sharon G.
Hope everyone is have a terrific day
I only tell people if they ask. Generally though I just say I'm on a low carb diet and go into further explanation if they start to ask me exactly what I'm doing. The same thing happened to me... went on vacation gained 14 pounds (didn't know that it was even possible to gain that much in one week), but lost all of it after one week back on phase 1. Water weight would be an understatement in my case.

It's funny that you mention exercise because I just came across this on one of my paleo blogs. It talks about women who mainly have subcutaneous fat vs. men who generally have visceral fat.

"Subcutaneous fat differs from fat that lies deeper in the body and cushions our organs. This is called visceral fat. Subcutaneous fat, on the other hand is the fat we most see lying under the skin. Too much fat can cause the skin to become tight or stretched, and result in dreaded cellulite or a dimpled look of the skin. When subcutaneous fat is relatively small in amount, it tends to lie loosely under the skin layers and is thus less visible.

Not all subcutaneous fat is bad, or contributes to what some people consider unsightly. In fact, many people have fat injections to plump out their face and reduce the look of wrinkles. So as much as some of us may battle subcutaneous fat that contributes to notable cellulite, many others seek subcutaneous fat injections to maintain younger looking faces, or hands.

To reduce subcutaneous fat, many people resort to dieting. However, since this fat stores energy, it is often more easily reduced with exercise. Studies focusing on fat measurements show that women who exercise three to four times a week tended to have greater subcutaneous fat weight loss. About 60% of the pounds lost from exercise were subcutaneous fat. Dieters who did not exercise regularly still lost weight, but only about 30% of their weight loss was subcutaneous fat tissue."

I know when I read articles about loose skin, the authors always say that loose skin is generally always subcutaneous fat, and so with time, and exercise we really can help the problem. No we aren't going to look like 20 or 30 year olds again, but heck at this point I'd take a 40 year old.
With that said I'm off to the gym to weight lift, walk and burn some of that subcutaneous fat!

Last edited by DanafromAustin; 08-21-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Closed Thread