Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 179/156.5/140

Height: 5' 7in

Default Advice- Anger, Guilt & Shame

I will give a little history. I have been on IP for a little over 7 weeks and have lost 22lbs. The last two weeks I have stayed the same weight even though I have followed protocol. I was feeling so frustrated not seeing that scale move and feeling like if things continue at this rate it will be so long before I can eat “Regular” food. I started thinking about all the things I can’t wait to eat after I am done with this, you know on my 1x a week “cheat day.” So I go to The County Fair with my 15 month old and see the mini doughnut booth, that when it started. After the mini doughnuts it was like I screwed up already I might as well keep going. So then it was mini corn dogs, hamburger, fries, chocolate shake, and fig newton’s at home. I felt so sick, ashamed, angry & guilty. I vowed that it wasn’t worth it and I needed to get back on the “horse.” The next day I’m at a relatives and she says “I’m making homemade pizza for supper, can you have that on your diet?” I say “no, but I will.” What??????????????? So here we go again, the day after I vow it wasn’t worth it! So here I am up 3.5 lbs in two day (how is that possible?) and I hate myself for this. Please share your thoughts and experiences with me. I know I’m not alone but sometimes I feel alone.
Sherah71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #2  

It is so hard to diet, and stay 100% all the time. Don't beat yourself up about this. Get right back on it, and know that these slip ups are part of the journey. We all have our own moments of weaknesses and daily struggles. Forgive yourself, love yourself, and Continue on...
explore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #3  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Ok, I am sorry if I offend you in anyway because that is NOT my intention. There are a few things I see here.....
1. You are thinking about food you CAN'T have RIGHT NOW....think about the food you CAN have now.
2. When you go astray with ONE thing you haven't totally messed up your day....its ONE...go back on program, do NOT allow yourself the WHOLE day and expect not to gain.
3. Your 15month old could have done WITHOUT all of the foods you stated you ate. YOU fed that to your child....YOU made that choice....its all about what you CHOOSE. YOU put it in your mouth, no one else.
4. Your friend asked if you could have it on your diet, she was asking in trying to HELP you NOT eat it....again YOU chose to eat it...she was giving you an OPTION.
5. Even though you VOW to NOT do it again, its something you HAVE to put your mind to....ITS NOT EASY....TRUST ME....66 WEEKS OF SAYING NO is NOT easy. I went to 2 buffets this weekend. My son sat and ate PECAN pie in front of me, this is my FAVORITE pie in the world. Did I give in and have ONE BITE????.....NOPE.....I sat there and ate my veggies and meat, I did not give in to the sushi or any of the fried food on it...did I WANT IT????? YES!!....BUT I CHOSE NOT TO HAVE IT.......yesterday went to a Pizza buffet....what did I have....a HUGE salad then walked around to the other side of the bar, passing up all of the pizzas, calazones, pastas and dessert pizzas along with ice cream to the BBQ chicken, green beans and cabbage. Once I got to the table I removed the skin from the thighs which had the BBQ sauce on it and I was good. Again DID I WANT IT YES.....BUT I chose NOT to have it. I know that I WILL be able to eat SOME of that again but I can't right now.

You are NEVER alone, there are MANY of us on the SAME journey as YOU....make smart choices in the foods you chose, you will happy that you did. Oh and another thing, If you are thinking this much about the food you CAN"T have and not LEARN how to eat, which foods are best for you then you WILL go BACK to eating your OLD ways and 9 out of 10 times GAIN all of your weight back....IP trains you how to NOT go back to your OLD HABITS...its up to YOU to learn what it teaches you
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #4  
~John Wayne~ On:6/21/2012

Height: 5'4"

One of the best things I've seen in these forums is when folks go through a part of what you went through, the week or two with no weight loss. Then, they report back that POW, they just had a 4 pound loss. What was so great about reading those was that it gave me an insight of what is to come. The little to no weight loss times are expected. So, best advice I would give you is just forget about your tumble off the horse (if it were just a piece of cheese it would be a slip, but I am afraid you tumbled off that horse ) So, pick yourself back up and keep going!!
jwdesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #5  
Back to the old me :)

S/C/G: 138.4/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6 1/2

Hi Sherah! I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I'm a newbie struggling through my 2nd week and I think people like you who have been on the plan for a while and have lost that much weight are inspiring. The fact that you slip up every now and then doesn't make you any less so, it makes you more human, and all the more inspiring for us beginners to see you have struggles and still be able to recover. So you may have stumbled this once but we know you're strong enough to keep going. We're all here for you.
aliceinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #6  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

You can try what I do. Everymorning I tell myself "I'm not going to cheat today." I do that all day long anytime I am tempted. It's gotten me through 5 weeks and I feel like I can do this every day for the next 20 weeks.

I'm not sure how creative you are with your meals, but I think that might help. On all my previous diets I did the same thing as you. I would just break down one day and binge on all the stuff I missed. Everyday I would say tomorrow I will start again. Then the next day I would binge again.

Now I make things like the cauliflower fried "rice", big mac bowl, zuchini muffins, chocolate pudding cake, etc. It helps me when I feel like I am not missing out on anything. I have to admit though, I still would love to have a slice of pizza. Havent found a good alternative to that yet.

You can do this. Just take it one day at a time.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 205/145/145

Height: 5'6.5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherah71 View Post
I will give a little history. I have been on IP for a little over 7 weeks and have lost 22lbs. The last two weeks I have stayed the same weight even though I have followed protocol. I was feeling so frustrated not seeing that scale move and feeling like if things continue at this rate it will be so long before I can eat “Regular” food. I started thinking about all the things I can’t wait to eat after I am done with this, you know on my 1x a week “cheat day.” So I go to The County Fair with my 15 month old and see the mini doughnut booth, that when it started. After the mini doughnuts it was like I screwed up already I might as well keep going. So then it was mini corn dogs, hamburger, fries, chocolate shake, and fig newton’s at home. I felt so sick, ashamed, angry & guilty. I vowed that it wasn’t worth it and I needed to get back on the “horse.” The next day I’m at a relatives and she says “I’m making homemade pizza for supper, can you have that on your diet?” I say “no, but I will.” What??????????????? So here we go again, the day after I vow it wasn’t worth it! So here I am up 3.5 lbs in two day (how is that possible?) and I hate myself for this. Please share your thoughts and experiences with me. I know I’m not alone but sometimes I feel alone.
I totally get where you are coming from. I baked a lovely lasagne last evening for my family and guests served with cheese buns and butter. Smelled SO good, and I don't even like lasagne as a rule. Dinner was followed by lemon merigue pie (which I enjoy). It was difficult to sit and watch others enjoy while I ate my meal, but with that said, there will come a day when I can partake in some of these foods again (being conscious of my choices and in moderation). DO NOT GIVE UP!!! It is 3.5 pounds. Get back into ketosis and those pounds and more will go. Don't beat yourself up - if you do, it is easy to wallow in your own misery and throw in the towel. It is 3.5 pounds you've gained back - not 100. Maybe this slip-up was meant to teach you something - perhaps you are like me in that I CANNOT allow myself to contemplate cheating - I am an all or nothing person - if I allowed myself to cheat I would use it as an excuse to just throw in the towel - but DO NOT DO THAT!!!!! You have come so far - it was a mistake, hitch up your pants and get back on the "wagon". You can (and are) doing this! Focus on the positives (you have been OP for 7 weeks) and use the slip up as a teaching tool.
niks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #8  
Auntie Susie

S/C/G: 201/159.8/130

Height: less than 5 feet

I was soooo off program on Saturday that it was pathetic...BUT...with all my other attempts at dieting I just gave up and belittled and berated myself so badly that I totally gave up.......this time I jumped back up and fasted until supper on Sunday ( not part of IP but I felt it's what I needed) when I made a delicious chicken and veggie dish. 100% back on track in no time!!
Don't give in ! Keep plugging along...encourage yourself and don't beat yourself up. No one is perfect...this is real life and we're all human.
Have a great 100% OP week!
Susan1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #9  
ND girl

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
Ok, I am sorry if I offend you in anyway because that is NOT my intention. There are a few things I see here.....
1. You are thinking about food you CAN'T have RIGHT NOW....think about the food you CAN have now.
2. When you go astray with ONE thing you haven't totally messed up your day....its ONE...go back on program, do NOT allow yourself the WHOLE day and expect not to gain.
3. Your 15month old could have done WITHOUT all of the foods you stated you ate. YOU fed that to your child....YOU made that choice....its all about what you CHOOSE. YOU put it in your mouth, no one else.
4. Your friend asked if you could have it on your diet, she was asking in trying to HELP you NOT eat it....again YOU chose to eat it...she was giving you an OPTION.
5. Even though you VOW to NOT do it again, its something you HAVE to put your mind to....ITS NOT EASY....TRUST ME....66 WEEKS OF SAYING NO is NOT easy. I went to 2 buffets this weekend. My son sat and ate PECAN pie in front of me, this is my FAVORITE pie in the world. Did I give in and have ONE BITE????.....NOPE.....I sat there and ate my veggies and meat, I did not give in to the sushi or any of the fried food on it...did I WANT IT????? YES!!....BUT I CHOSE NOT TO HAVE IT.......yesterday went to a Pizza buffet....what did I have....a HUGE salad then walked around to the other side of the bar, passing up all of the pizzas, calazones, pastas and dessert pizzas along with ice cream to the BBQ chicken, green beans and cabbage. Once I got to the table I removed the skin from the thighs which had the BBQ sauce on it and I was good. Again DID I WANT IT YES.....BUT I chose NOT to have it. I know that I WILL be able to eat SOME of that again but I can't right now.

You are NEVER alone, there are MANY of us on the SAME journey as YOU....make smart choices in the foods you chose, you will happy that you did. Oh and another thing, If you are thinking this much about the food you CAN"T have and not LEARN how to eat, which foods are best for you then you WILL go BACK to eating your OLD ways and 9 out of 10 times GAIN all of your weight back....IP trains you how to NOT go back to your OLD HABITS...its up to YOU to learn what it teaches you
I know you wrote this to some one else BUT I needed it more than you will ever know!! Thanks for kicking my butt! Needed it big time.
redhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead14 View Post
I know you wrote this to some one else BUT I needed it more than you will ever know!! Thanks for kicking my butt! Needed it big time.
LOL...you are welcome
Old 08-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #11  
Lucky Lady

S/C/G: 212/191.4/150

I had a bad weekend too! Just the compounding effects of everything. But I didn't beat myself up as much as you did. I realize sometime things just spiral out of control, even with the best intentions. So yesterday I said okay. Stop. Start over RIGHT NOW! and I did. Because I am not willing to throw in the towel. Most importantly I know I could have made it a whole lot worse and I didn't. I did exercise an awful lot of self control given the circumstances and to be honest I am very proud of myself for that. So I guess I am learning and that is a huge plus for me. You'll be okay, just put on your big girl pants and get back on the journey with us.

Last edited by Osohealthy; 08-13-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Osohealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #12  
Tyler7

S/C/G: S174/C154/G130

I feel ya! I'm so good up until Saturday's then it's really tough. For me, cake, sweets, etc is not tempting...it's those couple of glasses of wine that I used to have with my husband that I miss. We just bought a new home, my birthday is coming up and we're having a huge house warming next Saturday and I'm just dreading not being able to have "fun" is guess. I'm not an alcoholic by any means but I do enjoy a few drinks with my friends...just hard.

I know it's not forever but on the weekends it seems to drag!
Tyler7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 189/155/140

Height: 5'3"

'WUV' that is some awesome tough love! AND you know we all need just that, tough love! Thanks for that!!!!

And I will not cheat, mostly of my own willpower but slightly out of fear from you fussing me! I know you are a southern lady b/c that is exactly how I 'fuss' my friends about their men drama haha!
ChunkyMonkey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey33 View Post
'WUV' that is some awesome tough love! AND you know we all need just that, tough love! Thanks for that!!!!

And I will not cheat, mostly of my own willpower but slightly out of fear from you fussing me! I know you are a southern lady b/c that is exactly how I 'fuss' my friends about their men drama haha!
LMAO ...so you can HEAR my southern in there huh? where in La are you from?...I only "fuss" when needed.....which is NOT often...I think of it as Wuving not fussing
Old 08-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #15  
Michele

S/C/G: 240/149/150

Height: 5.5

Learn from it and move on...We are all human and make mistakes.. You can do this... Ive lost 75 pounds and Ive broke down and cheated and got right back on the IP wagon ..!!! Stay positive
haddy4 is offline   Reply With Quote