3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Ketostix (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/263907-ketostix.html)

saintsbelle 05-30-2012 11:19 AM

What are Ketostix and how do they work?

Lately I've seen posts about using Ketostix... Well what are they and how do you use them. Sorry in advance for my ignorance Im a newbie...

Thanks in advance...

Kaypix 05-30-2012 11:22 AM

They test for Ketones in your pee, you pee on them and they turn colors, like a pregnancy test. :D Most simple explanation I could think of.

Kaypix 05-30-2012 11:23 AM

Oh, and you can get them from pharmacy places for like $10-$15 for a pack of ... 50? I think?

explore 05-30-2012 12:17 PM

I would like to know more about ketostix. Do you find it helps with you, or is it another tool to obsess over. What I love about the diet is the no counting of calories. I follow 100% protocol, and I know success will come. I don't need another thing to worry about. I would love to hear people's experiences.... pros and cons with using the ketostix.

Kaypix 05-30-2012 01:27 PM

I have used them, but I don't tend to, it's one more tool to obsess over (like weighing daily). If i drop from ketosis I'd be in a spiral of shame and discontent EVERY time I had some freak fluctuation. The stix don't always show, sometimes are light so hard to see, but are a good indicator if you've slipped up somehow without realizing. I have had TOM lightly spotting this whole flipping time (yay hormones) so as long as I'm spotting I know I'm in ketosis...tmi i know but hey, it's what I use.

krisnchris1 08-01-2012 10:27 AM

Ketostix

Does anyone know how these work? I tested my urine this morning it the scale is negative to large. I was at a small amount. What does that mean? Am i not in ketosis? The reason I tested was I canned homemade salsa last night and I tasted it to make sure it was fine. It does have sugar in it and that made me wonder if I was going to cause myself problems just with the few little tastes I did. Other than that, 100% OP.

KatieBug 08-01-2012 10:42 AM

I know I'm in ketosis, but those stix dont work for me. I can tell I'm in by my breath smell, my urine smell (sorry tmi) but yeah when I use those sticks they say I'm barely in ketosis. I just dont use them anymore.

krisnchris1 08-01-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieBug (Post 4423614)
I know I'm in ketosis, but those stix dont work for me. I can tell I'm in by my breath smell, my urine smell (sorry tmi) but yeah when I use those sticks they say I'm barely in ketosis. I just dont use them anymore.

Yea, my breath has been horrible. Only thing that helps is chewing gum and I know we aren't supposed to. I did find some gum made with xylitol that I heard was ok.

efwilli 08-01-2012 02:57 PM

I used the ketostix once, and wasn't getting any signs of ketosis (100% OP). I read somewhere in this forum that readings would be inaccurate because of the amount of water we drink on IP. You might want to rely on some of the other signs!

shesaid 08-01-2012 04:07 PM

I don't show up on ketostix at all. Since they only measure what your body "throws out", it's not a 100% accurate measurement of whether you are in ketosis or not.

For the ketosis breath, I use an IP approved breath spray called "Herbal Breath Tonic" by Herb Pharm.

JohnP 08-01-2012 04:27 PM

Having a small amount of sugar won't knock you out of ketosis.

Ketosis doesn't matter anyways.

Ketostix are inaccurate and unreliable.

Sugar free gum won't hinder fat loss.

marlenesuer 08-01-2012 04:35 PM

Disregard these stix - throw them away - dont use them - dont rely on them - there are too may variants that affect the readings so they're not 100% accurate in showing ketosis.

Example - I've been losing steadily and consistently.

My sister is a diabetic and has these stix for that purpose and I used them.

The first 3 or 4 weeks of being on plan, they showed large/dark for my being in ketosis.

Fast forward about 3 months later, they show nothing - but yet I'm full on in ketosis and losing.

Don't over think the plan. --- I can't stress this enough.

Wayyyyyyyyy too many people over think this plan - imho.

If you follow it, it will work. Follow the plan and it will work. Save your ketostix money (you're going to need it) for buying you food and supplements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisnchris1 (Post 4423582)
Does anyone know how these work? I tested my urine this morning it the scale is negative to large. I was at a small amount. What does that mean? Am i not in ketosis? The reason I tested was I canned homemade salsa last night and I tasted it to make sure it was fine. It does have sugar in it and that made me wonder if I was going to cause myself problems just with the few little tastes I did. Other than that, 100% OP.

ggsmile 08-25-2012 01:52 PM

Using Ketostix

Hi Everyone!

I have been following 100%..I even drink my coffee black and stopped chewing the spry gum and cut out onions.

My ketostix are still showing me in the trace/low range.
When I did atkins years ago, I would always test dark purple.
Does anyone know why I am reading so low?

Im obsessed, testing 3-4 times a day!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-le...3/150/189/.png

Ugh73 08-25-2012 01:57 PM

The color makes no difference. Either you are or aren't in ketosis. Trace is exactly the same as the large amounts.

mompattie 08-25-2012 02:02 PM

Follow the sheet 100% and save your money. No need to test. Trace is good anyways, means you are well hydrated and your body is using ketones for energy so you are excreting trace amounts.