3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Ketostix (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/263907-ketostix.html)

DanafromAustin 10-07-2011 12:15 AM

I use to use those when I did Atkins years ago and due to all of the water I drank mine was also at the trace level. My coach this time asked me if I wanted to use them and I said no. I always know when I'm in ketosis because I have the breath to prove it and I wake up earlier in the morning. Really if you are following this diet 100% you will be in ketosis.

2RIDEROLLERCOAST 10-07-2011 12:26 AM

you would think so wouldn't you... I guess we will see in the next couple weeks for me...

wuv2bloved 10-07-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST (Post 4062007)
WUV - never say never... I thought the same thing a waste of time... but

If you are in my predictament, and the coaches have looked at my food diary and there is nothing in there that would cause all this ups and downs. They are thinking the weeks that I am gaining I am kicking myself out of ketosis.. How that is, is what we have to figure out. May have a clue from someone but we will see. I guess what I am saying this is a tool for the coaches to help us if we are really having issues. I can't really think my body is done losing weight but am beginning to wonder what is up.

So the vote on ketosis stiks I would only use if like me you have stopped losing or are so up and down the coaches can't figure it out and this is juscct one more tool for them too.

I didn't say I Never would use them, I said I have never used them or tested myself. I didn't say they didn't work or weren't necessary

thin4me 10-07-2011 01:28 AM

Thanks for input

Thanks for everyone's input.
I was just worried that I wasn't in Ketosis as I don't have Ketosis breath, never felt dizzy or lightheaded...
Also, I just had my 4th weigh in and went up .8 lbs!
As far as I know I have been 100% OP and just needed to verify whether I was wasting my money as my loss is slow.
My coach was baffled and gave me the strips to try.
I will try one in the morning to see if there is any difference due to concentration.

The things we worry about - Have a great night everyone!

Calypso 10-07-2011 02:08 AM

I test 3-4 times daily and always range between light and trace. I am a very small loser. 1-2 lbs per week:-( very frustrating. My coach and I are talking about this and I am trying some different thingsbased on her recommendations to increase the losses.

MontanaChick 10-07-2011 12:13 PM

I use them sporatically and also see that I am generally in the "trace" level. I think for me they just verify that I am in ketosis.

alexandallismom 10-07-2011 01:02 PM

I use them every now and then, they are always in the trace to low range, once or twice they went up to med level, but I didn't drink a lot of water.

thin4me 10-14-2011 01:34 PM

The following is what I posted on the Daily Thread on Wednesday:
I just got back from weigh in number 5 and I'm down 3. something pounds - can't recall the exact number! Certainly about time since I was up last week.

My overall loss for 5 weeks isn't great - just over 12 lbs.
Hopefully this will be a better week especially since I haven't strayed at all.

I've decided to give up a few things until Friday so I can check another Ketostix as I'm hung up on the fact that it continually shows "negative". I've stopped having sugar-free metamucil (aspartame), gum (stride & dentyne fire), Realemon juice from concentrate & Moroccan-Style Mint tea which has stevia listed. Other than those things nothing else is questionable.

If the Ketostix still shows negative then I'll attribute it to the amount of water I drink per day.

Friday:
I tested another ketostix this morning and it is showing "trace". Also I've noticed that my urine has a strange smell, and no I haven't had asparagus.
Therefore, I'm thinking I'm finally in Ketosis after 5 weeks ......

Course since I gave all of the above up I'm not sure what the culprit was, also my coach removed all restrictives as she stated some people can't handle the extra carbs.

I can live without many of them if I could only have a piece of gum - that is what I need the most! Stride or Dentyne Fire?????? Debatable

I will continue to stay away from everything until my next weigh in on Wednesday to see if my numbers have improved.

Linden 10-14-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thin4me (Post 4071012)
I can live without many of them if I could only have a piece of gum - that is what I need the most! Stride or Dentyne Fire??????

Spry is the only chewing gum approved on IP. Most people get it via the internet and seem to like it a lot . Just a tiny word of caution: "Merck Manuals reports that when people are nervous they tend to swallow air, which can cause bloating, and anxiety can cause weight loss. Air swallowing can also be caused by chewing gum or smoking, but in general those activities do not cause weight loss."

Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/33...h-weight-loss/

wuv2bloved 10-14-2011 02:59 PM

I did not like the Spry gum, it lasted about 10 mins if that then got hard. I chew extra peppermint. I have one slice a day, my coach said as long as it is sugarfree that I could have it.

fat 0%
SOdium 0%
total carbs 2g
sugars 0g
sugar alcohol 2g
protein 0g

has less than 2% aspartame

As long as she says its ok I am all about it

2RIDEROLLERCOAST 10-14-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thin4me (Post 4071012)
The following is what I posted on the Daily Thread on Wednesday:
I just got back from weigh in number 5 and I'm down 3. something pounds - can't recall the exact number! Certainly about time since I was up last week.

My overall loss for 5 weeks isn't great - just over 12 lbs.
Hopefully this will be a better week especially since I haven't strayed at all.

I've decided to give up a few things until Friday so I can check another Ketostix as I'm hung up on the fact that it continually shows "negative". I've stopped having sugar-free metamucil (aspartame), gum (stride & dentyne fire), Realemon juice from concentrate & Moroccan-Style Mint tea which has stevia listed. Other than those things nothing else is questionable.

If the Ketostix still shows negative then I'll attribute it to the amount of water I drink per day.

Friday:
I tested another ketostix this morning and it is showing "trace". Also I've noticed that my urine has a strange smell, and no I haven't had asparagus.
Therefore, I'm thinking I'm finally in Ketosis after 5 weeks ......

Course since I gave all of the above up I'm not sure what the culprit was, also my coach removed all restrictives as she stated some people can't handle the extra carbs.

I can live without many of them if I could only have a piece of gum - that is what I need the most! Stride or Dentyne Fire?????? Debatable

I will continue to stay away from everything until my next weigh in on Wednesday to see if my numbers have improved.

some times the coaches just don't know...

I have been on IP for the last 7 days no extras, so no sweetners of any kind other than what is in the packets. No gum, no syrups, no Walden Farms, no extras... My coach stated to me that the coaches are being trained now to have their clients to have 1 restricted every day. I am doing phase 2 again to see if that boosts my loses again. Now for the gum... you never know it could be that but how do we prove it? especially since we both have cut out everything else... Good luck to you. unfortunately you may be a small loser which doesn't make anyone feel good. :hug:

thin4me 10-14-2011 03:25 PM

My coach said Stride (any flavor) was ok as the aspartame content is very small, I tried the Dentyne Fire as many on this site said their coach approved that.

I found the Stride to be very hard and also lost its flavor very quickly whereas the Dentyne fire was much better and doesn't contain aspartame.

And then other coaches I've met said absolutely no gum - so at a loss.

twinkler 12-21-2011 11:14 PM

Anyone use Ketostix?

Hi.

My name is Janelle. I've been on IP for 12 days now and I'm doing pretty well, I think...

My question is: Does anyone use Ketostix to check if they are in ketosis? If so, what kind do you use?

twinkler 12-21-2011 11:28 PM

Never mind me...I found my answer as I'm learning how to get around the forum. :) Thanks!

tykesplace 12-22-2011 12:39 PM

I use them sometimes. Bought them at Wal Mart for about $5. For me they're more a gauge of hydration between weigh ins. I know I'm in ketosis but if I don't get enough water the ketone density goes up on the strip's scale. More water and it's lower every time.