Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #1  
Just Do It, Mom!

S/C/G: Restart 2/19/15. See Ticker

Height: 5.5

Default Carb value of veggies

I posted this on the daily chat, but thought it might be helpful to repost it in its own thread so it could be easily found to help some of the newbies (like myself!). Since I want to try to stay on the lower end of the carb-intake scale (25 - 40 gm/day) I wanted a reference to go by when selecting my veggies. Remember that the total daily allowance INCLUDES carbs you get from your IP products.

Another helpful link from the idealcoachingtv site is http://nutritiondata.self.com/ Click on "Foods by Nutrient" then there are several ways you can search. I came up with the following reference for myself (most are 'raw' measurements). Having a digital food scale to weigh by grams would be very helpful for things not easily measured in a "cup":

Asparagus (1c, 134g) 5 carb - 3 fiber = 2 net carbs (3g sugars)
Broccoli (1c, 91g) 6 carb - 2 fiber = 4 net carbs (2g sugars)
Brussel Sprouts (1c, 88g) 8 carb - 3 fiber = 5 net carbs (2g sugars)
Cauliflower (1c, 130g) 6 carb - 2 fiber = 4 net carbs (2g sugars)
Cabbage, green (1c, 89g) 5 carb - 2 fiber = 3 net carbs (3g sugars)
Celery (1c, 100g) 3 carb - 2 fiber = 1 net carb (2g sugars)
Cucumber w/peel (1c, 133g) 3 carb - 1 fiber = 2 net carbs (1g sugars)
Green beans, cooked (1c, 125g) 10 carb - 4 fiber = 6 net carbs (2g sugars)
Kale, fresh (100g) 10 carb - 2 fiber = 8 net carbs (0 sugars)
Mushroom, portabella (100 g) 5 carb - 2 fiber = 3 net carbs (2g sugars)
Mushroom, white (1c, 70g) 2 carb - 1 fiber = 1 net carb (1g sugars)
Onion, raw (1c, 160g) 15 carb - 3 fiber = 12 net carbs (7g sugars)
Red bell pepper (1c, 149g) 9 carb - 3 fiber = 6 net carbs (6g sugars)
Rhubarb (1c, 122g) 6 carb - 2 fiber = 4 net carbs (1g sugars)
Rutabagas (1c, 140g) 11 carb - 4 fiber = 7 net carbs (8g sugars)
Sauerkraut (1c, 142g) 7 carb - 4 fiber = 3 net carbs (3g sugars)
Snowpeas (1c chopped, 100g) 7 carb - 3 fiber = 4 net carbs (4g sugars)
Summer Squash (yellow/zucchini) (1c, 110g) 4 carb - 1 fiber = 3 net carbs (2g sugars)
Turnips (1c, 140g) 8 carb - 2 fiber = 6 net carbs (5g sugars)
V8 juice (note 1/2c, 120g) 5 carb - 1 fiber = 4 net carbs (4g sugars)

Last edited by 3sisters; 04-22-2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: added sugar grams
3sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Just curious, so are you writing down the quantities of each vegee and tracking the carbs in your log? The only thing I tracked during Phase 1 were the things like tomatoes that could only be 2/wk, otherwise, I just kept cutting the allowed vegees and filling my 2 cup measuring cup until I had enough, not really paying attention to how much of each. Whatever I had on hand or needed to be used up.

Also, the limits on carbs - is that an IP thing or a limit you've set for yourself, and if so, how did you come to that number?

It's interesting that turnips and rutabagas are up there with onions on the sugars, but they were not restricted.

That nutritiondata site is great - now that I'm on Phase 4, I've printed out lots of those charts, including the legumes, grains, etc.

Last edited by Sewmam; 04-22-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #3  
Just Do It, Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
Just curious, so are you writing down the quantities of each vegee and tracking the carbs in your log?
No, I haven't, but I'm thinking I will start to track them a little closer since my weight loss has been a little slow even though I've been 100%OP. Like those videos said, I think I was cumutively taking in too many carbs - beyond the 40 allowed - without realizing it and probably am the type that needs to be on the lower end. At least that is my theory! The week before I did not allow myself any of the restricted items and I lost 3lbs vs 1 lb this last week - and the only difference was I had 1 restricted per day.

I realized that if I had a bar for breakfast (15 carbs - or a cookie is 23 carbs!), a shake for lunch (6 carbs), a shake for snack (6 carbs) - that's already 27 carbs (at least) and hadn't even had veggies yet. Then if I had my go-to veggies of 2 cups of red pepper strips (12 carbs) and 2 cups of rutabaga fries (14 carbs), that's a whopping 53 carbs for the day!! No wonder I slowed down! Since red peppers and rutabagas aren't a limited veggie I thought I was free and clear - not so!

Last edited by 3sisters; 04-22-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #4  
Just Do It, Mom!

Quote:
Also, the limits on carbs - is that an IP thing or a limit you've set for yourself, and if so, how did you come to that number?
Sorry, missed this part. I had no idea of the carb limit until I watched the video yesterday on the idealproteintv site. That's where I learned of the 25-40 limit and also how even "allowed" selections can push you past that if you aren't aware of the carb values you are eating.

So for everyone wondering why their losses were unexpectedly low - I realize there are still typical fluctuations you can expect, or TOM, etc, but if it's not making sense - just check to see if you are maybe taking in too many carbs and inadvertently throwing yourself out of ketosis.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #5  

ah...I couldn't get those videos to load with my crappy internet connection, but next weekend I'll be house sitting and they have a better hookup, so I'll watch them.

fyi, red and yellow peppers are restricted to 2/wk like the tomatoes. it is the green peppers that are not restricted. Sometimes the IP lists just don't make sense to me because the rutabaga and turnip were not restricted. Maybe it has something to do with the length of the sugar chain in them vs. the red peppers. I didn't check the glycemic index, but that would be a measure of that.

You might not even be out of ketosis, but if the carbs are higher consistently, the body uses them for energy instead of the stored fat. At least that's what I understand so far...
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #6  

I was just thinking...I don't remember that total carb count being in my Phase 1 info, it was just a matter of 2 cups of whatever allowed vegees you wanted, twice a day. If the total carbs count was so important, why didn't IP tell us? Why are they telling the coaches this great info but not the clients? Maybe I'm forgetting it all...it's been so long since I started...

Perhaps they are trying to keep us from not obsessing too much or to keep it simple? I don't know, but I think that more info, clear, accurate, data-based info, is always valuable. That's what I liked about IP in the first place - that it was science-based. With the wide range of support that people get or don't get from their coaches, we, the clients, need consistent guidelines.

okay, i'll get off my soapbox now...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

I think IP wanted to keep the diet protocol simple and just have the coaches do their job of looking things over carefully and tweaking it per client as needed. For those of us w/o coaches, this is really valuable info to have on this website.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Sewmam. Interesting about the peppers because all of them were not restricted on as per my IP clinic. I rarely ate them anyway but they were all acceptable all the time!

Nice list about the carbs...
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/187/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
fyi, red and yellow peppers are restricted to 2/wk like the tomatoes. it is the green peppers that are not restricted. Sometimes the IP lists just don't make sense to me because the rutabaga and turnip were not restricted. Maybe it has something to do with the length of the sugar chain in them vs. the red peppers. I didn't check the glycemic index, but that would be a measure of that.

I didn't know this! I regularly eat red/orange peppers, can't digest raw green peppers, my coach has never said a word! On my Phase 1 sheet bell peppers is listed as an acceptable vegetable, no color distinctions noted.

Thanks Sewmam! This was my first successful quote post! hehe
cmk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk33 View Post
I didn't know this! I regularly eat red/orange peppers, can't digest raw green peppers, my coach has never said a word! On my Phase 1 sheet bell peppers is listed as an acceptable vegetable, no color distinctions noted.

Thanks Sewmam! This was my first successful quote post! hehe
On my Phase 1 sheet, if you look at the "select" vegees, it shows green bell peppers. If you look at the "occasional" list, it just says 'peppers' so I asked what that meant, and my coach said 'red/yellow/orange.' It would have been more clear if they just said that instead of making us guess...

There's no date on the Phase 1 sheet so I don't know if it has been updated since I started a year ago.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 222/187/140

Height: 5'4"

My sheet has a date of 02/07/11 and only has bell peppers listed under select. I'm going to ask my coach when I weigh in tomorrow. I am also going to go back and see in my journal ( I keep detailed entries in MFP) if the weeks I had lower losses if many of my veggies that week were colored peppers. Thanks for your help!
cmk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I have be never worried about veggie carbs. I mainly et broccoli cauliflower asparagus and cucumber, but will have others depending. I really don't think it matters
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #13  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

The Dr on the videos at www.idealcoaching.tv mentions several times that our daily carbs coming through our intake of unrestricted (and as allowed the restricted) veggies will be about 15 carbs. And that we should be aiming for a total of between 25 - 40 net carbs/day. He talks about fibre, how it isn't digested by the body, and actually lowers the impact of sugars and starches on blood glucose, therefor can be subtracted to give the 'net carb' value. Given the 15 carbs coming from veggies, that leaves between 10 - 25 additional daily carbs to play with. The only way for each of us to know individually whether we lose weight ok at the higher end of that range is to monitor our progress and adjust daily carb intake accordingly. I find it very useful having this information. It makes me feel like I have a frame of reference for keeping my daily carb intake within the desirable zone. I've gotten into the habit of each morning immediately after breakfast, logging my breakfast info into my 'Diet Calender' section at www.fatsecret.com. Then I plan out what I'm going to eat for lunch, dinner, and snacks and see what my daily nutritional totals, including carbs, will be. I sometimes 'twig' occasionally to lower the carbs. I print the day's menu out then and use it as my guide for the day. I find doing that helps a lot and keeps me honest.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #14  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
I have be never worried about veggie carbs. I mainly et broccoli cauliflower asparagus and cucumber, but will have others depending. I really don't think it matters
AGREED!....IP has figured it all out for us to keep it simple. Many of y'all are OBSESSED about counting and making things difficult...there is NO NEED to stress about it! If it really mattered then IP would tell you such in your orientation. I dunno maybe its just me, but I don't like to stress about things and just follow my sheet. I know what I can or can't have and I have NEVER counted anything. I have my restricted everyday along with my shake/pudding/cucumber/broccoli/Cauliflower and occasionally I will have green beans or tomatos. Its been 11 months of this and its working for me so I am not counting anything
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 172.5/129/128

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
The Dr on the videos at www.idealcoaching.tv mentions several times that our daily carbs coming through our intake of unrestricted (and as allowed the restricted) veggies will be about 15 carbs. And that we should be aiming for a total of between 25 - 40 net carbs/day. He talks about fibre, how it isn't digested by the body, and actually lowers the impact of sugars and starches on blood glucose, therefor can be subtracted to give the 'net carb' value. Given the 15 carbs coming from veggies, that leaves between 10 - 25 additional daily carbs to play with. The only way for each of us to know individually whether we lose weight ok at the higher end of that range is to monitor our progress and adjust daily carb intake accordingly. I find it very useful having this information. It makes me feel like I have a frame of reference for keeping my daily carb intake within the desirable zone. I've gotten into the habit of each morning immediately after breakfast, logging my breakfast info into my 'Diet Calender' section at www.fatsecret.com. Then I plan out what I'm going to eat for lunch, dinner, and snacks and see what my daily nutritional totals, including carbs, will be. I sometimes 'twig' occasionally to lower the carbs. I print the day's menu out then and use it as my guide for the day. I find doing that helps a lot and keeps me honest.
Great idea, I started keeping track today - if choosing pudiing (butterscotch 2g) instead of crispy cereal (7g) and shed my weight faster I am all for it. We are not all the same so it makes sense that some of us would require less carbs.
PEIslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote