Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Default Major Hiking Vacation- Close to Goal

My husband and I will be heading out on a 2 week driving-hiking vacation the first week in June to Zion and other hiking areas in Utah and Arizona.
At this point I am 15 pounds from goal, should be close or at goal by then, but will still have 2 weeks each of both Phase 1 and 2. I have used strictly Alternatives from day 1.
I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are as to how to manage this. Obviously I will be expending lots of energy and want to do what's best for my body.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by MaMaZu; 04-11-2012 at 01:31 PM.
MaMaZu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #2  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

If you have to... I would say Up your protein. You will be using a TON of muscles...
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #3  

Agreed Jellymae, just wondering if there are other adjustments I should make, considering the energy I'll be putting out.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 157

Height: 5'4"

I'm in a similar situation - I'm 10 lbs from goal and have an active vacation (diving, windsurfing) arriving before I'll be able to finish. My plan is to stay low-carb on vacation, but not to calorie restrict. I wouldn't try to do an exercising vacation like hiking on 1000 calories per day; you might go into starvation mode and have trouble getting the scale to budge afterwards. You've come so far! In my view, IP is a marathon, not a sprint.
Harmothoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMaZu View Post
My husband and I will be heading out on a 2 week driving-hiking vacation the first week in June to Zion and other hiking areas in Utah and Arizona.
At this point I am 15 pounds from goal, should be close or at goal by then, but will still have 2 weeks each of both Phase 1 and 2. I have used strictly Alternatives from day 1.
I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are as to how to manage this. Obviously I will be expending lots of energy and want to do what's best for my body.
Thanks in advance for your input.
I had similar vacation this February - went to Grand Canyon NP - Page - Bryce NP - Zion NP. I am more on calorie counting and tried to follow my usual plan - be under 1300 calories. But the vacation was only one week, so it was quite easy.
PrincessSophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmothoe View Post
I'm in a similar situation - I'm 10 lbs from goal and have an active vacation (diving, windsurfing) arriving before I'll be able to finish. My plan is to stay low-carb on vacation, but not to calorie restrict. I wouldn't try to do an exercising vacation like hiking on 1000 calories per day; you might go into starvation mode and have trouble getting the scale to budge afterwards. You've come so far! In my view, IP is a marathon, not a sprint.
Thanks for your experience/input. Just wondering what an IP coach might suggest...but since I'm on alternatives I really appreciate everyone's input! I am thinking maybe around the first week of May I should start phasing towards maintenance, go on my vacation on Phase 4 and then when I get back start Phase 1 again (assuming I'm not at goal).

Last edited by MaMaZu; 04-11-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Phasing off might make traveling easier. If so, I would plan to try to stick to lower carb, higher fat choices (like dairy and nuts) so returning to phase 1 is not so drastic.
I work out for 2 or 3 hours some days with no additional food, although I do try to stick to fattier protein choices and occasionally add an extra packet. Once in ketosis many studies show an improvement in athletic performance.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
Phasing off might make traveling easier. If so, I would plan to try to stick to lower carb, higher fat choices (like dairy and nuts) so returning to phase 1 is not so drastic.
I work out for 2 or 3 hours some days with no additional food, although I do try to stick to fattier protein choices and occasionally add an extra packet. Once in ketosis many studies show an improvement in athletic performance.
Thanks for your input. I will definitely be staying low-carb. I guess my biggest question is whether I should go through phases 2 and 3 a month before I leave or just add the additional low carb, higher fat foods on the trip...
Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #9  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

Maybe you can try the diabetic version of the diet. That allows more carbs fruit etc. which would help with your engery needs. Plus have additional protein. If you want to follow a program.
Alaskaipjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaipjourney View Post
Maybe you can try the diabetic version of the diet. That allows more carbs fruit etc. which would help with your engery needs. Plus have additional protein. If you want to follow a program.
That is an excellent idea! My additional concern is easing back into Phase 1 when I return. Thanks for your input.