Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

Default Staying OP while on a long flight

So. Saturday I leave for Vancouver, flying out of Toronto. It's a five hour flight. I leave at 11am local time (so have to be at the airport by 9ish) and get in to Van at 1pm local time.

In my mind I was thinking no problem, I'll just take my ready made pudding and shake and a restricted and I'll be fine. BUT...I can't take them in my carry on as they're liquids. Restricted is fine. Maybe I can get away with the pudding but definitely not the shake.

I'll be going out for dinner with friends once I'm in Vancouver on the Saturday night so that's when my protein and veg meal will be. It will be later than I'd normally eat but I can make it work.

But what do I do for the seven plus hours I'll have to go without food? A pudding and a restricted won't hold me for all that time. Or maybe they will - thoughts?

Coming home is worse. I leave Vancouver at 4:30 local time and get in at 11:30pm Toronto time. I will not be able to have a good veg and meat meal unless I can forage for something at the Vancouver airport before I leave.

Am I overthinking this? Should I just count on a pudding and a restricted for each flight and suck it up? Should I bring powders and my shaker and shake up a drink in the washroom?

Any insight from people who've been there would be greatly appreciated!!!
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

They both should hold you. My coach always says that if you have to have two restrictives in one day then that's better then going too many hours without protein or falling off plan all together. You could also bring a hard boiled egg with you instead of a second restricted.

Last edited by DanafromAustin; 03-25-2012 at 10:48 AM.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPdivajen View Post
So. Saturday I leave for Vancouver, flying out of Toronto. It's a five hour flight. I leave at 11am local time (so have to be at the airport by 9ish) and get in to Van at 1pm local time.

In my mind I was thinking no problem, I'll just take my ready made pudding and shake and a restricted and I'll be fine. BUT...I can't take them in my carry on as they're liquids. Restricted is fine. Maybe I can get away with the pudding but definitely not the shake.

I'll be going out for dinner with friends once I'm in Vancouver on the Saturday night so that's when my protein and veg meal will be. It will be later than I'd normally eat but I can make it work.

But what do I do for the seven plus hours I'll have to go without food? A pudding and a restricted won't hold me for all that time. Or maybe they will - thoughts?

Coming home is worse. I leave Vancouver at 4:30 local time and get in at 11:30pm Toronto time. I will not be able to have a good veg and meat meal unless I can forage for something at the Vancouver airport before I leave.

Am I overthinking this? Should I just count on a pudding and a restricted for each flight and suck it up? Should I bring powders and my shaker and shake up a drink in the washroom?

I second the idea of bringing a boiled egg or a can/pack of chicken
shiipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPdivajen View Post

I don't know how it is in Canada but in the states puddings and gels like toothpaste are not allowed in qty over 3 oz. maybe check the airline website. Anyway, I recently did this. I took cut up celery and kohlrabi, and a bar. As others have said, an egg or a pack of tuna or salmon or chicken can work. I'm too lazy to deal with the powder and shaker thing, but that is just me. Drink lots of water, bring a good book and the time will fly. Have a great trip.
swimcoachmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #5  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

you could ask for a bottle of water take one or two sips out of it and put one of the shakes or drinks in the bottle and shake, I have done that before. Bring cut of veggies with you...bell peppers, mushrooms things like that to snack on. It will not be as bad as you think, there is no need to go to the washroom to hide and drink your drink. Like someone else said bring a good book and the time will fly, sometimes when I am in a good book its 3 hrs before I know it and not even hungry in between. Guess I get a little involved in my book huh?....lol...enjoy your trip!!....don't over think it, just prepared and you will be fine
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #6  
started IP 01/03/2012

S/C/G: 238/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I travel a lot too and what has worked for me is to bring the cappucino drink mix with me, buy a water bottle on the plane and mix it up at your seat. I love to mix it with a cup of black coffee, it's very filling that way. Also, I bake 12 muffins before I leave the house (3 pudding packets), put them in a ziplock and eat 4 a day. I also carry giant dill pickles with me. This plus a bar takes care of every meal except dinner which will be easy! Hope this helps
Mischyff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #7  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Another easy non-restricted to carry is the Crispy Cereal. Just ask for ice water and you've got a meal!
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #8  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Ready made puddings won't be acceptable but baggies of cut up veggies is. My strategy is to also have a restricted like soy balls or chips where I can eat them over an extended period instead of a bar which I can't seem to stop once started. Drink a glass of water every time they come through the cabin but also good to buy a bottle before you get on the plane - drink twice as much as you normally would during this time as plane travel will dehydrate you.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #9  
let's do this!

S/C/G: 227/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

Also, on another note, I would advise to sit in a aisle seat! All that water your going to the lavatory often! Nothing worse than having to climb over people!
AussieonIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieonIP View Post
Also, on another note, I would advise to sit in a aisle seat! All that water your going to the lavatory often! Nothing worse than having to climb over people!
Great minds think alike! I've already pre-booked my seats to ensure that I get aisle both ways.
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote