Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #16  

I don't have the chip maker - but I do use the recipe something provided a link to. I use the microwave bacon pan. I did it with both turnip and zucchini and they both turned out good. Nice that they were crisp on both sides without being too burnt. That was always my problem when I tried to do it in the oven. I was so happy to have something like that - especially with summer coming and not wanting to heat up the oven.
jilian61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #17  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 164/137/135

Height: 5'4"

OK. I made both turnip and zucchini chips today. They were so much better than the oven. Cooked evenly without the burnt edges and chewy middle. I sprayed them with olive oil and sprinkled with salt before cooking. Turnip took about 6 minutes and zucchini about 7. The mandolin is small, worked fine for the zucchini but a little harder with the turnip. Worth $16.00! Im so desperate for new ways to eat these veggies.
artflunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #18  

Thanks Artflunky! Can't wait for mine to come in!!!
GramEGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #19  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Height: 5' 3"

Thanks for this idea. I too am looking for new ways to eat the veggies. I have not had great success making the fries in the oven, I can never get them crisp. I bought the chip maker from amazon. (it got pretty good reviews) I am very excited to try it.

I am also excited to make real potato chips for my family as they will be so much healthier then the store bought chips.

Last edited by Cadu; 03-20-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Cadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #20  

So I read this and had nothing better to do than to run (well, I drove ) to BB&B to buy one of these. I started with zucchini sea salt/paprika. Delicious!
I wonder what I would need to store them in to keep crunchy as a to go snack for say, the next day? Any ideas?
shiipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

whhaaaaa i can't find anywhere here where they sell them I really don't want to have to pay shipping from for this
Busymomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busymomx4 View Post
whhaaaaa i can't find anywhere here where they sell them I really don't want to have to pay shipping from for this
Well, if there is a book you wanted to read you could buy it together from amazon.com and get free shipping. If I wasn't so impatient, I would've done that. It's about $6 more from BB&B.

Last edited by shiipa; 03-20-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

I get alot of stuff from Amazon with supersaver shipping for orders over $25. in my area, I frequently can not find what I want, or I'm so tired I can't shop for it, so this really comes in handy...
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
I get alot of stuff from Amazon with supersaver shipping for orders over $25. in my area, I frequently can not find what I want, or I'm so tired I can't shop for it, so this really comes in handy...
Same here. It requires a 30 min. drive to the city to get things. Not a big deal this week because I'm not working but otherwise, Amazon is the way to go.

UPDATE or review of the product: when heated, the silicone expands and the ring, which is inserted for stability, comes out.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #25  

Has anyone tried the Kale chips with this microwave chip disc?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by GramEGail View Post
Has anyone tried the Kale chips with this microwave chip disc?
I bought an inexpensive one ($6.99) this afternoon and made some zucchini chips. The plastic base started to melt although the top, the vegetable holder (holds 24 slices upright) was OK. The cheap little mandolin slicer that comes with it slices them so thin that in 4 minutes (vs the 5 min on their instructions), my very thin zucchinni chips were all brown. HOwever they didn't taste bad. I sprayed them w/ olive oil and sprinkled with real (IP) salt. Decided to cut them myself, w/o mandolin, and make them quite a bit thicker, then sprayed, salted and used some garlic powder. 4 minutes later they were looking fine, and were tasty. However, it only makes 24 chips, so you need to make a couple of batches.

Think I'm going to order the one from Pampered Chef. These are a really good idea.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:00 AM   #27  
twotots

S/C/G: 221/197/147

Height: 5ft 4in.

You could use a potato peeler to make very thin slices of veg. I sometimes use my peeler with cheese for extra thin slices. I'm gonna try the uncle bills recipe at the weekend.
carolirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

I got one They sell them at pampered chef and contacted the representative in my area and she had one that she had used a few times but sold it to me for the regular price but no shipping and no tax. I also got the simple slicer which apparently works fabulously (checked reviews) which I will use for a lot of stuff (3 level of thickness)...I'm going to try it this week-end with turnips (love turnip fries) and the kids are wanting to try with apples.

Do you usually put oil on your chips like you would before putting them in the oven? I have to go back to the beginning of this thread and see.
Busymomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #29  

BE CAREFUL!
I made some squash chips and had flames in the microwave. Yes, fire!!! I assume it was caused by the paprika.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #30  

Yay! FINALLY got my pampered chef disc chip maker and just made my first batch of Zuchinni chips in the microwave. They were very good but I will probably need some practice since I don't have the mandolin so they were all different sizes. They came out better than when I do them in the over for sure! Wish I had some Kale - gonna try Kale chips tomorrow.