Old 01-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

So, to date I've lost 25% muscle...(from my first reading to just the other day...it was a reading spread of 12 weeks). I know these machines aren't 100% reliable but there is some validity to them...All I know is they said this diet is suppose to maintain muscle mass..um I don't think so. Maybe it's because I had more to lose...I was a strong women...now...not so much.... Are others losing more muscle than they expected???

PS I am eating 110% per protocol...I use to eat only 5 ounces of meat but in the last few weeks I increased it to 8 ounces...

Last edited by New Englander; 01-28-2012 at 02:59 PM.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #32  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
So, to date I've lost 25% muscle...(from my first reading to just the other day...it was a reading spread of 12 weeks). I know these machines aren't 100% reliable but there is some validity to them...All I know is they said this diet is suppose to maintain muscle mass..um I don't think so. Maybe it's because I had more to lose...I was a strong women...now...not so much.... Are others losing more muscle than they expected???

PS I am eating 110% per protocol...I use to eat only 5 ounces of meat but in the last few weeks I increased it to 8 ounces...
Just had mine done for the same interval (start & at 12 weeks).
Lean body mass is down 7.69 pounds, which is 7.14%.
I spoke with a new coach on this, who said 7 pounds is about average, as lean body mass includes water, too.

You've probably run these numbers, but with a goal of 155 and an assumption of 23% desired body fat, your lean mass would be 119.3 pounds. Have you fallen well below that?
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

These scales can be inaccurate. Look for a trend before getting too worried.

Most people do not gain muscle mass without resistance training, or lose muscle mass very quickly with adequate protein intake.

My bf fluctuates wishing a couple percent each week, but I just accept this is normal.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
These scales can be inaccurate. Look for a trend before getting too worried.

Most people do not gain muscle mass without resistance training, or lose muscle mass very quickly with adequate protein intake.

My bf fluctuates wishing a couple percent each week, but I just accept this is normal.
Hi, I used these machines at an insurance company I worked for (I was on the wellness committee) and I know they can fluctuate. If I look at my first reading and the reading from last week it's a 25% loss, plus I feel weaker...maybe it's not 25% but being weak stinks... I do have some old reading from my days in Insurance so I'll pull those out and see what my mm (muscle mass) was at then..I'm not really worried more annoyed by the promise not to lose much mm!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 269/234.2/160

Height: 5'10.75"

I read that you are supposed to consume 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh to maintain or build muscle. Maybe we're not getting near as much protein as we should be?

In the event that I do lose muscle from this diet, I can always build it back up, right? I have no way to measure my lean muscle mass as I go along because I'm doing this on my own.
BACKDROPsilhouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 228/221/140

Height: 5'3

This may be a silly question, but how do they determine how much muscle you are loosing?
normarubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by normarubys View Post
This may be a silly question, but how do they determine how much muscle you are loosing?
Check out the whole thread...there's a picture of the type of device that's used and some talk about it..
Old 01-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKDROPsilhouette View Post
I read that you are supposed to consume 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh to maintain or build muscle. Maybe we're not getting near as much protein as we should be?

In the event that I do lose muscle from this diet, I can always build it back up, right? I have no way to measure my lean muscle mass as I go along because I'm doing this on my own.
My clinic still says I should eat 5-8 oz even though I heard and told them there's a new protocol (or updated) stating 8 is the requirement... I'm sure you can build it back up. I know muscle has memory...but I don't know if you lose it how easy it is to get it back...I know if you have it and don't use it for a while you can build it back up... hope that makes sense!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #39  

If you want to do more research on this google protein sparing modified fasts. Ip is this type of diet.

You can see how much protein you should be having based on the lean muscle mass provided by the bio impedance scale.

How many pounds of muscle does it show you have lost?

I think some weakness is common from the low calories...
Old 01-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 228/221/140

Height: 5'3

Got it. Thanks for response. My clinic does not have one of these machines. They didn't mention anything like this and just weighed and measured me. Interesting, I will ask about this during my next appt.
normarubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 185.5/171.5/150

Height: 5'2 1/2

I'm curious to know if and what your clinics charge for your weekly weigh-ins, do they have the body mass contraption or is it just weigh and measure. thanks
Lilmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #42  
let's do this!

S/C/G: 227/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmink View Post
I'm curious to know if and what your clinics charge for your weekly weigh-ins, do they have the body mass contraption or is it just weigh and measure. thanks
My Clinic charges $30 CAD per visit plus cost of food, which I was quite happy with
AussieonIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 243/139/140

Height: 5'5"

My "clinic" is a doctor's office. There was an initial fee for meeting with the doctor and most of it was covered by insurance. The only thing I have paid since then is for the cost of the food. I meet weekly with my coach--an RN who has done the program herself. She is very knowledgable and encouraging. I get weighed, BMI checked, blood pressure checked, and occasionally measured. She leaves the measuring up to me. Originally it was every week, now it's usually every 2 or 3 weeks.
glomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #44  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post

Are you a 100% getting in at LEAST 1/2 ounce of water per pound of weight and then adding more, if necessary, for exercise and caffein? The hand held that's pictured is so unreliable. I know. I had the same one and I threw it out. I'd hate to see you tricked by false numbers.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #45  

At my clinic they have a tainita body composition scale. It gives you weight, body fat, lean muscle mass hydration, visceral fat, etc.

It requires your height and age and is reasonably accurate. I paid $100 up front to use this scale every week as long as I want.

They will measure weekly too.