Old 12-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/153/135

Height: 5'4"

Default What to do about clothes?

I know this is a problem we AIM to have, but I am not sure what to do. Most of my clothes are too big for me now. When I reach my goal I plan to have the things I want to keep altered to fit, give away the rest. But what is everyone doing in the meantime? I hate to spend money on new things when I plan to lose more weight.

Editing this to add that I see the clothing exchange thread- what an awesome idea!
Thanks!

Last edited by bisous3; 12-15-2011 at 11:16 PM.
bisous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #2  

For the most part,we go to Goodwill,or any shop like it. There are a few that have shops that we can sell or put our items on consignment.
I took some of my clothes to one such shop. The rest,I took to the place I weigh in. They have them and will let people have them that are in need of different size clothes. I found quite a few in their also.
birdfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Well I have this big walk in closet with hardly any clothes in it anymore, lol. I don't work out of the house so I can get by with the bare minimum. And when I say bare, I really mean hardly anything. I only own one pair of jeans and one pair of nicer pants now. I just bought a few long sleeve t-shirts for our short winter here in Austin, and I have a couple of pull over sweaters that I can still get away with. I have given away a whole bunch of clothes. I refuse to spend much money while I'm loosing like this. I have a lot more weight to loose than you, so really just taking things in would have been a waste of money for me as I have a long way to go still. It's very casual here in Austin, so even when we go out with friends I can just dress it up a bit with my shoes and accessories.

We are flying home for the holidays, and my husband and I are getting together with old friends for dinner. I told them lets keep it really casual because in my own mind I knew I didn't have much to wear, LOL. The advantage of all of this is I don't have as much laundry to do and my dry cleaning bill has gone way down.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/153/135

Height: 5'4"

I don't want to buy anything... thinking about maybe buying some cheap leggings maybe....I don't think my blouse size will change much.
bisous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #5  

Height: 5'0"

Right now I buy the most inexpensive items I can to get by with. I buy more knit items that can be worn longer. Clothes aren't a big deal where I work, and often I work from home so it doesn't look like I am wearing the same thing day in and day out. My winter coat is waaay too big right now and I refuse to get a new one because they are just too expensive. I have one from a few years ago when I was much smaller, so I will wait to wear that. Shouldn't be too many pounds more. What's fun to see is that when you do get to a point where you have to get something that fits - the weight loss is very noticible to people and you get a lot of remarks. Love it!
shelly ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I bought my clothes at Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers and consignment shops.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #7  
Started IP Aug 2, 2011

S/C/G: 220/147/140

Height: 5'10

I go to Good will and Sally Ann and consignment shops too. I have lots of pants/jeans. I can wear zipper pants now
Junetwin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/205/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Another newbie

New here yesterday. So excited to read everyone's posts. They are all so encouraging.
Dorothy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #9  
it's my time to shine!

S/C/G: 240/150/145

Height: 5'4

I sell my clothes that are too big and buy new ones that fit!

I LOVE nice clothes and I feel better about myself when my clothes fit...
Mom3LoveBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #10  

I was at the cobbler's shop getting a pair of shoes resoled and I asked them to punch two new holes in my belt. It did the trick. I am at the very last hole and the tail of the belt goes past my left hip and faces my back. It might look a little odd, but I am waiting until I hit my goal (or at least get really close) to go shopping. One of my sport coats is so big that I feel like I look like a kid wearing his dad's clothes.
OneGuyonIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #11  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

I'm a tightwad spender so I've been holding off but finally broken down and done some shopping. The colder weather helped me to get away wearing jeans that fit, and were cheap (costco $12) my dress pants though I figured out that I could fold the fabric under in the back, wear a sweater and it hid the fold. That's bought me about a month, but only worked for pants 2 sizes to big. My sizing has finally stabilized so new pants are part of my Christmas presents. Shirts I've been buying a few at a time.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #12  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

I thankfully have a wonderful mother that helps me with the extra expenses of clothing... I do qlways feel better when I have clothes that fit me correctly.
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #13  
wannabe thinner

S/C/G: 167/116/115

Height: 5'

I get rid of clothes as soon as they don't fit. Sure there are a few "special" pieces that I have saved but even those get given away eventually. I have been buying super deep discount stuff and just a few as well as consignment shop stuff.
Calypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 202.6/166.8/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisous3 View Post
I know this is a problem we AIM to have, but I am not sure what to do. Most of my clothes are too big for me now. When I reach my goal I plan to have the things I want to keep altered to fit, give away the rest. But what is everyone doing in the meantime? I hate to spend money on new things when I plan to lose more weight.

Editing this to add that I see the clothing exchange thread- what an awesome idea!
Thanks!
One word.....leggings!!! I am just going with leggings and yoga pants everyday! I already have a couple of pairs of stretchy dress pants from Reimans-they work if I have to dress up. Not falling off yet!
TBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202.6/166.8/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyMae87 View Post
I thankfully have a wonderful mother that helps me with the extra expenses of clothing... I do qlways feel better when I have clothes that fit me correctly.
I do too!!! She gave me lulu's the other day....I must say my tush hasn't looked this good in about 5 years!
TBird is offline   Reply With Quote