Old 11-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

Height: 5'4"

Question Mashed Cauliflower

Someone HELP!!! I need the best, yummiest, most delicious mashed cauliflower recipe!!! I am really nervous about tomorrow so I am planning on turkey and roasted broccoli but thought that I need one more thing. So, the mashed cauliflower it will be...if I can make it taste decent!!! I have failed miserably in the past!!! LOL!
scpnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #2  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

I use frozen or fresh and cook it. I usually will cook it a little longer than normal, so it is nice and soft. Then I put it in the food processor with a little parkay spray and a tablespoon of milk. Season with salt, pepper, and a little garlic if you like it. Blend it until it looks like mashed potatoes. It iis delicious.
rosemary2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The secret really is making sure the cauliflower is softer than you'ld normally want it for a side dish on it's own.

I also cook the cauliflower in chicken broth (or water with a bouillon cube or two added) and an 1/8 to 1/4 cup of skim milk added to the broth (my mother always cooked cauliflower with a splash of milk because she was told that it either kept the cauliflower nice and white, or would tone down the cabbagey flavor). I'm not sure whether it helps with either, but I put the splash of skim milk in anyway.

I also use a couple tablespoons of instant mashed potato flakes during the mashing. Or instead of the mashed potato flakes, I'll add a small potato (cut in quarters) to cook with the cauliflower. Either way only adds a few calories and carbs per serving, but it really improves the flavor and texture, especially if you're trying to mimic true mashed potatoes.

I love mashed cauliflower as it is, but hubby doesn't. But just by adding that little bit of potato, he admits that he almost can't tell the difference.

It seems to me that with the potato, the mash is also less likely to seperate (with just cauliflower, the leftovers leak more water and you have to stir it back in. With the potatoes, less water leaks out and the texture is smoother).

I always also add onion powder or chives, and a little bit of sour cream during the mashing (sort of like the filling for twice baked potatoes).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #4  
wannabe thinner

S/C/G: 167/116/115

Height: 5'

chop it up and cook it with a fennel head chopped up and a little sauerkraut and a 1/2 to 1 cup water. Puree and add salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. It is yummy. thats on my menu!
Calypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #5  
Start IP 11/15/11

S/C/G: 169.2/163.8/140

Height: 5'5"

kaplods,

I don't think you can eat the things that you suggested while on phase one, can you?

Last edited by soccrmom12; 11-23-2011 at 09:45 PM.
soccrmom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/151/151

Height: 5'7

No, you can't have what Kaplods listed in her recipe. We can not have potatoes.

Boil cauliflower then put it in the processor with garlic powder, I Can't Believe its not butter and a dash of milk. Blend it and it comes out smooth and yummy this is how I fix mine
Wuvs Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccrmom12 View Post
kaplods,

I don't think you can eat the things that you suggested while on phase one, can you?
My fault for not checking what forum I responded to (I just click on "new posts" and start reading, so I didn't realize this was an Ideal Protein thread).

However, as I said, the only real secret is cooking the cauliflower until it's soft enough that it mashes smoothly. Everything else is just "fancification" for my picky husband.

I love it just mashed alone, The potato I add is completely optional. It's much more a "texture" compromise for hubby (I think it tastes great without the potato). I'm on an exchange plan, so it's much easier for me to account for the 10 calories (about 2.5 grams of digestible carbs).

The milk is optional too, although virtually all the carbs get rinsed down the sink. If you're going to cook the cauliflower in just water, use more water, and simmer for a longer period on a lower temperature (supposedly that is another way to reduce the cabbagey flavor of cauliflower - but I don't worry about that much either, because I like the taste of cauliflower, and don't feel I have to mask it).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Garlic Rosemary Mash

ROASTED ROSEMARY GARLIC MASHED "POTATOES": Cauliflower makes a surprisingly tasty potato substitue. Roasting instead of boiling, and adding the rosemary, garlic, & horseradish brings this to a whole new level.

This is another recipe which looks like it has a lot of steps and is difficult, but is really as simple as popping the cauliflower in the oven to roast, then dropping it in a food processor to blend. So don't be intimidated and dive right in.

This keeps well and I often make a double batch to eat immediately and to put in a sealed container to microwave at work the next day.

Ingredients:
1 or 2 bags frozen cauliflower (or 1 large head)
1 oz non-fat milk (from your morning coffee allowance)
4-6 tsp olive oil
1-2 tsp or more dry rosemary
Garlic (I grind about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dry garlic, but you can use fresh or garlic powder to your taste)
Sea Salt & Pepper
1-3 tsp horseradish (I use paste from a tube)

Direction:
1. On baking paper on an oven tray, lay out cauliflower. (I use 2 bags of frozen and save 1/2 for another meal.)
2. Spray the cauliflower with Olive Oil (recommended) or "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter" or PAM non-stick cooking spray.
3. Sprinkle on rosemary, salt, pepper and garlic.
4. Roast at 200C until golden (about 15-20 min, but can be less or more depending on your oven)
5. In a blender or food processor, add 4-6 tsp olive oil.
6. If desired, add a little more rosemary and spices to the oil.
7. Add in roasted cauliflower.
8. Add in horseradish
9. Pour milk on top and blend until creamy. (You will most likely need to turn off the blender and stir, then start again to ensure a creamy blend. You can add a little more milk if needed, but dont add too much or the potatoes will become runny which you dont want.)
10. Taste and add sea salt/ pepper if needed. (I use herbamare spicy, white pepper, black pepper, and rose pepper)
11. You can put in a bowl and beat with a hand beater if you want it extra fluffy.
12.Add fresh parsley for garnish

Last edited by FinnSteven; 11-24-2011 at 02:02 AM.
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Mashed Cauliflower with Horseradish

STEAK & MAGIC "MASHED POTATOES": The star of this show is what looks like naughty mashed potatoes but is really a gorgeous cauliflower surprise. This is served with a firey grilled eggplant (eggplant, olive oil, habanero tabasco and indian chili with sea salt) covered with sliced paprika (I used from a jar and rosepepper steak)

Ingredients:
Cauliflower (I use frozen bags. I cant taste the difference and its easier and less expensive than fresh)
2-4 tsp olive oil
1 oz milk (from your morning milk allowance)
Sea Salt + Black Pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder or fresh crushed garlic (more or less or none at all to taste)
Optional: White Pepper and Herb Salt (like Mrs Dash or Herbamare)
Optional: 2 tsp horseradish (I use from a tube. I think this is mandatory, as it gives a little kick and helps make the cauliflower taste change into a more rounded gourmet mashed potato flavor)
Optional: 1/8 to 1/2 tsp Chili powder (I use Indian chili powder for the best taste. Found at most Asian markets)

Directions.
1. Roast cauliflower until cooked at 200-210 C for about 10-15 minutes depending on your oven. You can also boil it, but the taste will not be as rich as roasting. I recommend roast!
2. Add 1 oz nonfat milk to a blender or food processor (the milk you didnt use from your morning coffee. :-) )
3. Add in the cauliflour and smash it down with a fork.
4. Add sea salt/ pepper to taste. (I use herbamare spicy, white pepper, black pepper, and rose pepper)
5. Add 1-2 teaspoons Olive Oil
6. Add other spices as desired.
If available, add 1 teaspoon Imitation Butter Flavor
7. Blend until desired consistency. Both creamy and chunky versions are both excellent.
8. Add fresh parsley for garnish

I have also made this using both cauliflower and broccolli which makes a different and unique new taste that you will come to crave.

I have also added in about 8-12 green jalepeno slices for a fantastic spicy version. (I also made it with hot red jalepenos and it was TOO spicy for other family members!)

If making the spicy versions, serve with iced Peppermint Tea to cut the heat with a refreshing mint.

Last edited by FinnSteven; 11-24-2011 at 02:04 AM.
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #10  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
chop it up and cook it with a fennel head chopped up and a little sauerkraut and a 1/2 to 1 cup water. Puree and add salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. It is yummy. thats on my menu!
I, too, sometimes add nutritional yeast flakes as a treat. Adds a buttery taste, good protein and fiber, and my coach OKed it with the front office.

2 T (16 g) has 45 calories, 8 g protein, 1 g fat, 5 g carbohydrates, and 4 g fiber.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #11  
Started IP 9/19/12

S/C/G: IP 256/231/210

Height: 5'11"

FinnSteven's recipe is fantastic. Even my kids (8,11) ate it up and wanted more.

TroutFarmer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #12  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

wow..that mashed cauli looks fantastic!!! I love IP!!! It's good to know there is something so good that we can have. Thanksgiving is right around the corner, i'm already mentally prepping for that day!!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote