Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

Height: 5'4"

Question For Girls Only!!!

Hey ladies! I am experiencing something unusual this TOM. I have the Nuva Ring and my normal period...for the last 2 years is only two days. This is my 8th week (so I have had one cycle that was normal) and my period is out of control. It is heavy and I am going on 5 days...without showing signs of stopping.

I am a bit freaked out as I do have endometriosis but it has been completely under control for the last two years.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be so appreciated!!!
scpnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #2  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Height: 5'7"

Oh you poor thing. I know my TOM has been messed up royally by IP, I guess it's an occupational hazard. But you have the added complication of endometriosis. I am sure someone with a similar situation will chime in here, but I am hoping you are going to call your Doc and your Coach first thing Mon morning! I bet it's not serious, but all the same take care of yourself and make those calls. And keep us posted.
Tuscany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 228/ 228/ 145

Height: 5'2''

If it doesn't feel right, it's always a good idea to set up an appointment with your doc just to make sure everything is ok. A lot of times, the cycle can be upset with changes in diet and exercise, though, so hopefully you're just experiencing that.
SaraWrites03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

I'm on Mirena and hadn't had a period in over 2 years, until I started IP and they've been back with a vengeance! I learned from others on this board that your fat cells store estrogen and it's released into your body when you lose fat. Heavy weird periods are common when you lose a lot of weight quickly. I'm told it's easier to get pregnant too. My coach suggested backup birth control.
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I would definitely check with your doctor and your coach on Monday. However I'm betting it has something to do with the diet and changes it can cause hormonally. Look how many woman with PCOS for example can get pregnant after low carbing.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #6  
Bringing Sexy Back!

S/C/G: 164/127/135

Height: 5'3"

I too am on Mirena (an IUD) and hadn't had my period in over two years, and then the week that I started IP I got spotting. It's since gone away, and as I've been on IP only 2 weeks I'm not sure if this will become the norm.

My doctor didn't say anything about using a back up birth control method with the IUD.

Last edited by Fizzyizzy; 10-23-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Fizzyizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 161/133.8/125

Height: 5'2"

I am also on the NuvaRing and my period have been messed up the last two times. I was 5 days early both times and they last 7 days instead of 3. I spoke to my coach and she said this is normal for some people and highly suggested that I use a backup form of birth control.
Determined126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #8  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

There used to be a huge thread on this but it's been almost a year since I last saw it. The upshot of it is that estrogen is stored in fat cells and so as we lose fat, the increased estrogen in our system can do quite a number on our cycles. Several people would attest that bc pills and such aren't always effective on IP.

So, in answer to your concern, abnormal cycles are kind of normal on this diet, but you know your body best. If something doesn't feel right have it checked. It's much better to be safe.

Personally, I always had really irregular cycles and for the most part my cycles became more normal. I'm not quite sure how things are going this time since I've only been back a week and I was due the day I started IP. I ended up being 6 days late and today it's stupid heavy. I don't think it's totally related to IP though.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzyizzy View Post
I too am on Mirena (an IUD) and hadn't had my period in over two years, and then the week that I started IP I got spotting. It's since gone away, and as I've been on IP only 2 weeks I'm not sure if this will become the norm.
I've got a question for you ladies on Mirena. I am thinking of getting it but not for birth control but to get rid of my periods. I have been having problems with heavy bleeding and really bad cramps and wacky schedule for a year or so. My dr. had me try a few things but after a month or two they go back to being crazy. The next step is to stop them all together with Mirena or an IUD like Mirena.
My question is have you experienced any side effects and if so what were they?
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:44 AM   #10  
Bringing Sexy Back!

S/C/G: 164/127/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Ryuu,

Sorry for the delayed response; I didn't get back to this tread until now.

I LOVE the Mirena. For me, it's been wonderful. I didn't have heavy periods or cramps or PMS when I decided to go on it (basically the motivation for me was to have a birth control that I didn't have to think about, and I was/am in a long term, committed partnership).

I haven't had a single side effect, but I will tell you that the initial insertion did include some heavy cramping and muscle ache because your body isn't used to it. I took some high doses of advil for a few days, took it easy on the physical activity, and was fine.

Good luck with your choice!
Fizzyizzy is offline   Reply With Quote