Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #436  

Height: 5'7'

Well, yesterday was my first 'fun day' on this eating plan. When I woke up I had full intentions to have a little of this and that but not go hog wild. Well, that went out the door completely as soon as I started eating. I had 3 cookies with coffee in the morning, followed by 2 munchkins and a whole grain english muffin...and that was just breakfast. Can you say CARB LOAD?!?!?

Holy cow - you'd think after not having that stuff since July 14 I wouldn't want it. Well, I have to say it tasted good, I enjoyed it. I also had my first glass of wine since July 14 and it tasted wonderful. Of course, one small glass and I was loopy as anything.

So, here I am back on Ph 1 for the day and I'm more than ok with it. I agree with Pxlkitty that maybe I have to allow myself to go all out if I want on the fun day and then pull myself right back into plan the day after. I didn't weigh myself this morning because I am bloated beyond belief(my rings are stuck on my fingers this morning) and need to drink lots of water today and tomorrow to see if I can get all the salt out of my body.

Just a note to the food allergy people...have you considered going to an alternative health provider and get muscle tested? Muscle testing is a non-evasive method to see if you body reacts to certain 'things'. Just a thought...
Old 12-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #437  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolaf View Post

Holy cow - you'd think after not having that stuff since July 14 I wouldn't want it. Well, I have to say it tasted good, I enjoyed it. I also had my first glass of wine since July 14 and it tasted wonderful. Of course, one small glass and I was loopy as anything.
Funny. I think you'll find that a number of people plan to do a refresher course or try to lose more weight in January.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #438  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Pixlkitty, I am glad you had a wonderful cruise, being waited on. You did well sticking to low carb for the most part.

I too am exploring how to manage things. Like you I tend to do better with rotating set meals..especially breakfast. However, I tend to do better when my cheat day is not an all day cheat..but a meal cheat.

I am determined to learn how to keep this weight off forever also. There is a National Weight Loss Registry that you can join when you have kept off your weight for a year. It tracks people who have maintained.. I am investigating this. However, it may just be a US things for our Canadian friends.

The French food was excellent, but very tiny portions..3 pieces of asparagus for a vegetable. I told my husband that since I am used to eating 2 cups of vegetables, no wonder I felt deprived!

Shannon. It is interesting and ironic how something so appealing like sugar needs to be restricted! Are you having any trouble getting water down in the cold weather? For some reason, drinking water has lost it appeal in the cold weather..although I need it as I feel like I am drying out.
I do thing think that keeping healthy and focused on learning how to maintain does need to be a focus for me right now. I found it interesting that one of the keys to maintenance was being public..discussing it, joining a support group.

I think that I am colder than others due to losing body fat!LOL. Everyone at the restaurant took off their coats and I kept mine on as I was freezing. I am going to have to layer up even more. Note I had on two pairs of merino wool socks.

Pixl..I was thinking another question to add to a challenge would be something along the lines of how are you feeling about maintenance this week? Positive.energetic committed or .need revival or booster?

Last edited by Maile; 12-12-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #439  
Maile

Stolaf..It sounds like you enjoyed your day and are happy to be on Phase 1 today! I found that wine affects me stronger than before also.
What is muscle testing? Hope that salt flushes out today!

Linden: The most crowded time at my gym is January! Everyone wants back in from the holidays.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #440  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Pixlkitty, I am glad you had a wonderful cruise, being waited on. You did well sticking to low carb for the most part.

I too am exploring how to manage things. Like you I tend to do better with rotating set meals..especially breakfast. However, I tend to do better when my cheat day is not an all day cheat..but a meal cheat.

I am determined to learn how to keep this weight off forever also. There is a National Weight Loss Registry that you can join when you have kept off your weight for a year. It tracks people who have maintained.. I am investigating this. However, it may just be a US things for our Canadian friends.

The French food was excellent, but very tiny portions..3 pieces of asparagus for a vegetable. I told my husband that since I am used to eating 2 cups of vegetables, no wonder I felt deprived!

Shannon. It is interesting and ironic how something so appealing like sugar needs to be restricted! Are you having any trouble getting water down in the cold weather? For some reason, drinking water has lost it appeal in the cold weather..although I need it as I feel like I am drying out.
I do thing think that keeping healthy and focused on learning how to maintain does need to be a focus for me right now. I found it interesting that one of the keys to maintenance was being public..discussing it, joining a support group.

I think that I am colder than others due to losing body fat!LOL. Everyone at the restaurant took off their coats and I kept mine on as I was freezing. I am going to have to layer up even more. Note I had on two pairs of merino wool socks.

Pixl..I was thinking another question to add to a challenge would be something along the lines of how are you feeling about maintenance this week? Positive.energetic committed or .need revival or booster?
I too am having problems getting my water down... I don't like my water warm so it has to be ice cold. This week I am going to strive to drink all my water as required and limit my coffee intake (got a new keurig, have been drinking coffee non stop... so that has to stop).
As for being cold, I hate it but not enough to gain all the weight back. I am finding this year (and it isn't cold yet) that I can't walik my dogs for more than an hour now because my hands are so cold they are numb and in pain... and that is with two pairs of gloves on. Still have to go and get some thinsulate gloves to see if that helps. Also my feet, man I hate socks and now maybe for 1 or 2 hours a day I don't have socks on. the rest of the time they are on... didn't really have a "fun" day this weekend, but while making goodies for christmas I did have quite a few cheats so counting that of course.. been finding that I prefer to eat my two cups veggies and meat rather than try a fun meal... though I am going to have pasta one of these days, been sticking with zucchini pasta instead as I find I love that more.
Have a great day all.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #441  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

I'm struggling to choke down my water too. It's freezing here and I am so cold! Not as bad as phase 1 cold though. That was something... freezing all summer long. Re-boot on phase 1 in January is going to be unbelievably cold!

I didn't have a full-on cheat day this weekend. I had some carbs with fats at a party on Friday but stayed within my MFP calorie count for the day so I didn't have to do a phase 1 day, which was nice. So far so good on not gaining weight this holiday season.

Yesterday I had the worst case of the munchies. Sitting at home relaxing on a weekend is a tough time for me. I ended up running out to Marshalls to pick up a few Christmas gifts and tried on an armload of pants while I was there. That killed the appetite!

That cruise sounds so good Pxl!!! I completely agree with you regarding Mom's role in the vacation. Usually it's a vacation for everyone else, as Mom is still performing MANY of her everyday tasks. I love the idea of the cruise, ,where it's truly a vacation for the Mom too! I hear they have Disney cruises that depart from Seattle now, so maybe we'll be able to swing it.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #442  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

2ride it's funny because the only way I can gulp down water is to let it sit for a bit so that it's almost room temp and then drink it. It doesn't quench thirst quite the same but it helps with intake quite a bit.
Maile I took up your suggestion of hot water with lemon. I had forgotten how much I enjoy that beverage! Had a few cups of that yesterday.
My free day this weekend was quite restrained in comparison to most of my free days of late. And I was quite proud of myself for having kept it that way. It did help to mentally track and to investigate the calorie count on some of the items that I wanted to indulge in. Was absolutely shocked to discover that the white chocolate macadamia nut cookie from Tim Horton's that I wanted had 240 calories in it!!! Yikes! That's as much as my typical lunch of warm spinach salad has in it and it's a guarantee that it has neither the nutrition value nor the satiety the salad can provide.
I've read quite a bit about the weight registry. It seems that they are the ones that provide statistical info for maintaining as they the only body monitoring it. You would think that in an age where there is such a rampant problem with obesity and the health risks associated with it that there would be more help with maintaining at your ideal weight.
It's why I too believe that we all need to be here in this maintenance thread. Just as having support while losing weight drastically increases your chances of success so does having support while maintaining it- and that support can be more difficult to come by in day to day life as everyone assumes that because you are thin you should 'relax' and just 'enjoy life'. I do enjoy life and I enjoy the feeling that healthful eating and exercise give me- I think it's that sometimes my lifestyle makes 'them' feel that they cannot 'relax' and eat or drink as they normally would. And I have felt my fair share of guilt inflicted by being unwilling to share in the food (love to some) that is being offered. But in the long term is it not better that they conform to my lifestyle than I to theirs? Are we not pioneering a new way in showing that it should be done and can be done? That's a great hope. That if those numbers of 5% of people maintaining should increase to 10% to 20% and so on. As a society there does seem to be a developing awareness that what we eat has a drastic effect. And that if we continue to impart good eating habits to our children then maybe the next generation will have an easier time of it. But the only way to impart those habits really, is to have them ourselves...
I rely heavily upon the advice the I get from this thread. The encouragement and positivity that we are in this together that we feel many of the same pressures and that we getting through it. There are many different approaches to the free day and each one is valid as long as the numbers remain the same. Because if you are maintaining your weight and not letting it climb and taking part in exercise and healthful, conscious eating through out the week then we are winning the battle. And it is a battle worth fighting. Thank you to all of you for helping give me the steam to keep fighting!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #443  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
2ride it's funny because the only way I can gulp down water is to let it sit for a bit so that it's almost room temp and then drink it. It doesn't quench thirst quite the same but it helps with intake quite a bit.
Maile I took up your suggestion of hot water with lemon. I had forgotten how much I enjoy that beverage! Had a few cups of that yesterday.
My free day this weekend was quite restrained in comparison to most of my free days of late. And I was quite proud of myself for having kept it that way. It did help to mentally track and to investigate the calorie count on some of the items that I wanted to indulge in. Was absolutely shocked to discover that the white chocolate macadamia nut cookie from Tim Horton's that I wanted had 240 calories in it!!! Yikes! That's as much as my typical lunch of warm spinach salad has in it and it's a guarantee that it has neither the nutrition value nor the satiety the salad can provide.
I've read quite a bit about the weight registry. It seems that they are the ones that provide statistical info for maintaining as they the only body monitoring it. You would think that in an age where there is such a rampant problem with obesity and the health risks associated with it that there would be more help with maintaining at your ideal weight.
It's why I too believe that we all need to be here in this maintenance thread. Just as having support while losing weight drastically increases your chances of success so does having support while maintaining it- and that support can be more difficult to come by in day to day life as everyone assumes that because you are thin you should 'relax' and just 'enjoy life'. I do enjoy life and I enjoy the feeling that healthful eating and exercise give me- I think it's that sometimes my lifestyle makes 'them' feel that they cannot 'relax' and eat or drink as they normally would. And I have felt my fair share of guilt inflicted by being unwilling to share in the food (love to some) that is being offered. But in the long term is it not better that they conform to my lifestyle than I to theirs? Are we not pioneering a new way in showing that it should be done and can be done? That's a great hope. That if those numbers of 5% of people maintaining should increase to 10% to 20% and so on. As a society there does seem to be a developing awareness that what we eat has a drastic effect. And that if we continue to impart good eating habits to our children then maybe the next generation will have an easier time of it. But the only way to impart those habits really, is to have them ourselves...
I rely heavily upon the advice the I get from this thread. The encouragement and positivity that we are in this together that we feel many of the same pressures and that we getting through it. There are many different approaches to the free day and each one is valid as long as the numbers remain the same. Because if you are maintaining your weight and not letting it climb and taking part in exercise and healthful, conscious eating through out the week then we are winning the battle. And it is a battle worth fighting. Thank you to all of you for helping give me the steam to keep fighting!
Brava!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #444  
start IP Feb 8 2011

Linden, I tried the raw caramel dip on the weekend.... very yummy... great with apples. I can't believe dates would taste like caramel... but pretty close. The only problem is I thought all my dates were pitted as I tried a couple and they were pitted so threw them all in the blender and boy did that make a lot of noise... Thanks for the recipe.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:23 AM   #445  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
Linden, I tried the raw caramel dip on the weekend.... very yummy... great with apples. I can't believe dates would taste like caramel... but pretty close. The only problem is I thought all my dates were pitted as I tried a couple and they were pitted so threw them all in the blender and boy did that make a lot of noise... Thanks for the recipe.
I started to giggle and almost snorted my coffee! I can SO relate to that.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #446  
Maile

Shannon: Well said. That was an excellent commentary. The site i keep it off
also comments on the lack of information on maintenance in our society.
That is also quite true that people assume because you have reached your goal weight you should just relax and indulge yourself in food again. I hear that a lot at work. Hopefully our society will develop healthier eating habits, but right now the opposite seeems to be happening. I get discouraged seeing the normal little5,6 yrs old that I have taught becoming overweight by age 10. heir favorite activity is playing video games. I like hot water and lemon also!!

2Ride: Have you tried looking in catalogs like LL Bean for apparel that goes to lower temperatures? Have you tried those heat warmers that skiers use for hands and feet? People use them on recess duty here. I give up and practically live in socks.

Pauley: There is something about putting on fitted pants that keep you focused on keeping that weight off. A friend took that Disney cruise and said it was wonderful..your little one would love it.

Told my coach yesterday I would not see her for a month. I am fine!

3 xmas parties this week. I can do this..They are not my cheat days!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #447  
start IP Feb 8 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Shannon: Well said. That was an excellent commentary. The site i keep it off
also comments on the lack of information on maintenance in our society.
That is also quite true that people assume because you have reached your goal weight you should just relax and indulge yourself in food again. I hear that a lot at work. Hopefully our society will develop healthier eating habits, but right now the opposite seeems to be happening. I get discouraged seeing the normal little5,6 yrs old that I have taught becoming overweight by age 10. heir favorite activity is playing video games. I like hot water and lemon also!!

2Ride: Have you tried looking in catalogs like LL Bean for apparel that goes to lower temperatures? Have you tried those heat warmers that skiers use for hands and feet? People use them on recess duty here. I give up and practically live in socks.

Pauley: There is something about putting on fitted pants that keep you focused on keeping that weight off. A friend took that Disney cruise and said it was wonderful..your little one would love it.

Told my coach yesterday I would not see her for a month. I am fine!

3 xmas parties this week. I can do this..They are not my cheat days!
I finally found where I can get the thinsulated underclothing, of course haven't made it to the store... may have to get the heat warmers, I like walking the dogs too much to quit now... but when your fingers are tingling and hurting not much you can do. I am going on the llbean site right now to see what they have... oh wait I am at work... never stopped me before... happy shopping everyone.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #448  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

We have 3 potlucks here this week too! Wed, Thurs and Fri. Good grief! I am only going to one, and will have to eat the vegetables I bring and hopefully salad or something else reasonable. My cheat day is a party on Saturday. There is no way I can potluck for 3 days and then party on the next.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #449  
Skinny girl in training

S/C/G: H 336 Start IP 292/236/170

Height: 5'10

Awww finally some familar faces!! Where did everyone go??
Old 12-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #450  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Good luck Pauley & Maile with the Christmas parties! It does seem a bit easier when I compare being able to eat 'maintenance style' at a party than when I had to eat 'Phase 1 style' Would waaaayyyy rather do it maintenance style at least there are some things that are edible. I have my sisters baby shower on Friday and meeting with friends on Saturday. So, I think the shower will be a regular maintenance day and I will save the free day for my meal out with friends...
2ride- do you ever go to Costco? They have pretty good thermal underwear there as well as clothes to layer with... My brother also bought these little plastic packs of fluid that when you 'crack' a button in the corner it forces a reaction that heats these little packs right up. He keeps them inside his mittens to keep his hands warm.
Closed Thread