Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Default Vacation Report (long post)

Hey everyone!
I am back from my vacation and wanted to give you all an update on how everything went. First off, the trip was amazing and we really had the most incredible time. And just a word of warning, this is going to be quite long. But do not fret; if you don’t feel like reading the whole thing, I will give you all the dirty details first

For the background information, 2 weeks prior to my departure, I phased off in accordance to Ideal Protein’s recommendation. I did (1) week at Phase 2 and then (1) week at Phase 3. I did not lose any weight these (2) weeks, and that left me a little bit frustrated, but my coach told me to stick with it, and this was what IP recommends for vacations.

We were gone for (10) days, from September 22-October 1, and let me tell you, I did not in any way shape or form stick to anything close to IP. I pretty much ate what I wanted and drank plenty of beer (we were in Germany where a bottle of beer is cheaper than a bottle of water!). We were also walking around a lot every day, probably anywhere from 6-8 miles every single day, which I am sure helped.

Now for the dirty details (as promised!)… at my official weigh in this morning, I stayed EXACTLY THE SAME!!! I started back up on Phase 1 on Sunday October 2. On Sunday morning I weighed myself at home and was up 5.4 pounds. After 3 days of being back on Phase 1, I am right back to even. This is extremely encouraging for the future, and I truly believe that phasing off properly before I left was a huge factor in this, even though it messed with my head a little bit before I left.

I really do believe that any weight gain I had on vacation was purely water weight and glycogen stores because even though my scale showed a 5.4# gain, my clothes did not feel any tighter or any different at all. Plus to be able to drop it all like that in just 3 days must mean that it was not fat, just a whole lot of water and water retention. Not to mention that whenever I fly, I always retain water.

I also wanted to point out that I truly believe that this diet changes our body’s chemistry; I believe this now more than ever. I sort of believed it (but, not really) when I was told about it at my initial consultation, but after experiencing the past 2 weeks I am a firm believer. In the past, whenever I would go on vacation or stray from whatever eating plan I was on, I would get crazy cravings for carbs and sweets and would have to just keep eating and eating them. I was never satisfied. Plus, when I would get back from vacation, I would always say “I’ll start back on Monday” and then I would blow it on Monday and then before you know it, the whole week would be gone and I would be back to Saturday saying “I might as well wait to start back on Monday and enjoy the weekend”. And you know what? Sometimes Monday never came!

Well, these past 2 weeks, I have experienced NONE of that! When I tell you that I ate what I wanted, it is no exaggeration. I ate potatoes, rice, pasta, pastries, gelato, chocolate, chips, bread, crackers and cheese, pretzels, etc… I also drank plenty of beer and cappuccino’s (with whole milk and sugar). One thing that I did not drink was soda, but I have had that cut from my diet for a long time. I would literally eat my meal or snack or dessert and be COMPLETELY SATISFIED! That has never happened to me before. I have never been able to just get a dessert, eat it and feel good afterwards. I would always want more. Not just want more, crave more. And it would haunt me until I finally gave into the craving.

Here is a great example of why I am fully on board the IP train: One day, we were looking for a place to eat lunch when we walked past a gelato shop. It looked and smelled so good, and it was calling my name. So I said to my husband, after lunch I want to stop back in there and get a gelato for dessert. Well, after we ate an amazing lunch, my husband said “did you want to go get that gelato” and I didn’t, I was completely full from lunch, so I said no, I am full. Well, after a couple more hours of walking around and sightseeing, I was ready for that gelato. So I stopped at a different shop, got a small (1 scoop) and enjoyed every bite. But here is the kicker, it was ENOUGH. Usually, for me, a dessert is never enough. And here is the other amazing thing, it was the only one I ate the whole trip. In the past, I would have had to get one every single day because that one serving would have me craving more and more.

And on a final note, getting back onto Phase 1 has been no problem. Sunday morning I woke up and consciously made the decision to get back onto P1 and I haven’t looked back. I did not say that I would wait until Monday or after my weigh in, I just did it. I enjoyed my time off, but now it is time to get back to business and finish this up once and for all. And the thing of it is, I have not had any cravings. I had the typical headaches and sluggish feelings of the carbs leaving my system, but no cravings. I believe that I am over the hump (day 4) because I am feeling much better today. I am fully ready to finish this once and for all and get to my goal and be able to maintain that and live a life of normal eating. And now I know, if I get off track every now and again or when we go on vacation, a week or 2 at Phase 1 will get me right back to where I need to be to maintain my goal weight for the rest of my life. I am now fully on board with the tag line “Your last diet”, because after what I have experienced this past month (including the phase off), I really do believe that if you do this diet properly and phase off properly, it will be the last diet for all of us.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

Thank you so much for posting your experiences here! I have been loosely talking with my coach about doing the same thing (although we'll be gone for a month) simply because while I know I could stick to it and resist temptation (we're traveling home, not abroad like you did), I won't have near as much control of my food, and don't want to be a pest to those who are having us stay with them. Hubby and I are also going to try to go on a "pre-deployment honeymoon" and really who wants to be eating out of packets then? Your post gives me confidance that if I choose to go that route I will be able to start again and maintain my results. Thanks!!
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I know you were very nervous about the whole thing for a while so this is excellent news!
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Glad it worked out well for you. Sounds like a great vacation.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

This is awesome Jenny, thanks so much for sharing it with us.

WELCOME BACK!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the post! This helps so much as i plan my winter vacation!
stellartadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #7  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Welcome Back Jenny!! I was wondering what had happened to you!!
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

Height: 5'5"

Nice to see you back Jenny! I'm so glad to hear what good results you've experienced on/after vacation. Thanks for sharing!
Gika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #9  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Nice seeing you back, so glad to hear that you vacation was amazing.

Reading your post gave me hope, plenty of it, that this time I am on the right program, it is not just a diet that I will finish and go back to being the fat old Sandra, no this time, I will succeed and continue succeeding after my diet.

Thank you very much for sharing.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #10  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Welcome back Jenny you were missed!!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 298.8/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

I'm so happy you posted that! I was extremely worried about our first family trip to Orlando in Feb, now that I know when can do it right and get right back on with success is wonderful. Thanks Jennydoodle
alexandallismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/148/150

Height: 5-1

Congratulations Jenny and welcome back. It is so great to hear about your experience. I know how worried you were and I'm so glad it all worked out for you. Sounds like you had an awesome vacation.
thinkthin135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Props to all who read the whole post

But in all seriousness, I know a lot of us get nervous about vacations and spending any time off plan during phase 1. I know I did. And I am so glad that I could share such a positive experience with you guys and that everything worked out so well. I hope this will help give us all a little more peace of mind for what the future holds for us and how we can really all maintain our goal weights.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Jennydoodle,

I missed you so much! I am so happy that you had such a wonderful vacation. Your post is so encouraging, as I know I am nervous about "gaining" back what I lose on this program. I think alot of people are, because that is what has happened to us in the past. We lose and then gain back. I am esp. happy that you didn't get the cravings, because that is what used to happen to me. Yeah!

I switched to alternatives last week and I am doing really well, I think I will have one of my biggest losses this week. I think for me, the IP was a stressor, because of the money. For my budget $400/month was alot, so now I am more comfortable. Thanks for all your good info, love your posts.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Jennydoodle,

I missed you so much! I am so happy that you had such a wonderful vacation. Your post is so encouraging, as I know I am nervous about "gaining" back what I lose on this program. I think alot of people are, because that is what has happened to us in the past. We lose and then gain back. I am esp. happy that you didn't get the cravings, because that is what used to happen to me. Yeah!

I switched to alternatives last week and I am doing really well, I think I will have one of my biggest losses this week. I think for me, the IP was a stressor, because of the money. For my budget $400/month was alot, so now I am more comfortable. Thanks for all your good info, love your posts.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote