Old 09-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #1  
Carrielee

S/C/G: 227/190/160

Height: 5'3"

Default need some input..

Could having like a spoonful of ice cream, or peanut butter or caramel.. soemthing sweet knock you out of ketosis.. just one spoonful?? Im jsut curious really.. i sometimes will have a bite of soemthing my son eats... could that knock me out of ketosis?.. i have been losing. im really jsut wondering casue i have been cravin peanut butter.. and was tihnking maybe one spoonful wouldnt hurt.
Carrielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Personally I wouldn't. One spoonful leads to two spoonfuls, ect. It hasn't been easy for me this weekend because weekends are when I fix all my kids foods (they don't eat processed foods, I make everything from scratch).

As we speak my son is trying to 'feed me' some of his dinner. Thankfully daddy's home so I just redirected him. It's hard but I figure it's not forever, and I would rather be doing this now before they'll really remember rather then when they're older and wonder why mommy has such a strange relationship with food.
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/244/155

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrielee View Post
Could having like a spoonful of ice cream, or peanut butter or caramel.. soemthing sweet knock you out of ketosis.. just one spoonful?? Im jsut curious really.. i sometimes will have a bite of soemthing my son eats... could that knock me out of ketosis?.. i have been losing. im really jsut wondering casue i have been cravin peanut butter.. and was tihnking maybe one spoonful wouldnt hurt.
I've been on since January and lost 70 pounds. The "teaspoon" is not the way to go in my opinion. How about getting some Walden Farms peanut spread (ok, it remotely tastes like peanut butter, but is yummy on celery) or their caramel syrup/sauce. Both have zero carbs and zero sugars.
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrielee View Post
You know, who knows if it would knock you out of ketosis...but it would definately slow you down. At the cost of this diet who can afford to cheat. Showgirlaz posted in the August 15 daily chat (section that helped me posted in italics below) a little bit of info that perhaps would help you understand how the intake works against us...the specific post was more for someone close to their goal but it really made a difference in how I thought about 'cheats'...and how I explain the protocol too...

Think of it this way, your body needs a specific number of calories a day say 1500 for easy purpose. You can get that from food or fat. What you don't get from food, IF IN KETOSIS, will be taken from fat. So, say you eat 1000 calories on the diet, your body will take the equivalent of 500 from your fat reserves. If you allow that to go up to 1100 you use only 400 of fat and, you lose out on burning an extra 100 calories a day or 700 calories a week. That is why it becomes more important to stay with the program protocol.

Why add more calories then you should? Even if it doesn't knock you out of ketosis...personally going into ketosis...it was hard on me the first time...I was quite 'ill' as my mom put it so I don't want to go through that again.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Ishbel; 09-10-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

After I posted I also thought of a quote from Dave Ramsey. He's talking about financial advice but it pertains to dieting as well (IMO). "It's 80% behavior and only 20% head knowledge". We all know what we 'should' do but it's the actual 'doing' that causes us to reach our goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Think of it this way, your body needs a specific number of calories a day say 1500 for easy purpose. You can get that from food or fat. What you don't get from food, IF IN KETOSIS, will be taken from fat. So, say you eat 1000 calories on the diet, your body will take the equivalent of 500 from your fat reserves. If you allow that to go up to 1100 you use only 400 of fat and, you lose out on burning an extra 100 calories a day or 700 calories a week. That is why it becomes more important to stay with the program protocol.
That's an awesome quote, thank you so much for bumping that for us!!
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote